Green Bay in the Fall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDofMSP

Guru
Vessel Name
Gopher Broke
Vessel Make
Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Hello,

We're considering visiting Fish Creek on Green Bay in September. We'll have a couple of four day weekends and leave the boat at a marina during the week. Does anyone have any insight on cruising this area in late September? I know that it will be cool - I'm more concerned about winds and storms. Also how about recommendations for towns to visit or anchorages to try? We like a mix of marinas and anchoring. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
BD

Nudging this thread hoping that someone might have some recommendations. We must have members that cruise this area don't we?

Thanks,
BD

BD, I have cruised the area years ago but doubt I can add anything you do not already know. There is others here on TF that hail from the area & hopefully will see the thread and help you out with specifics. We spent some time in Sturgeon Bay which is close to Fish Creek as well as up and around the Marquette Island area. In my opinion the entire area (especially above Green Bay ie: north east shoreline up to Les Cheneaux islands) is a cruisers dream for secluded anchorages with jaw dropping scenery. I think going in September will be a roll of the dice, the weather at that time of year is quite unpredictable. You could get several weeks in a row of simply gorgeous weather rivaling late spring, or weeks of miserable cold and rain. We have had both, I will never forget passing through years ago in late August when the temp dipped below freezing. Given you have a speedy gas boat, I think your choice of kicking off from the Fish Creek area and exploring Green Bay is a good one as you will never be too far from civilization. Sorry could not be of more help.

Thanks Capt Kangaroo. Cold and rain aren't great but we're fully enclosed and have good gear. And we're from Minnesota so we kind of expect it. But storms and such are quite different. I guess we just keep a close eye on the weather.

Thanks for the advice on the area though. It's good to hear that it's worth the trip. Maybe someone else will have some more tips. .

Thanks again.
BD

The area is incredibly beautiful with many good anchorages. if your time is limited you could still get as far as Washington Island. Our weather systems are in a very unsettled pattern so predictions are just a guess. Fall frontal passages can be real serious, they can either roar through or stall along the edge of Green Bay for awhile, then roar through. You do not want to get caught out on open water, (Edmund Fitzgerald!)

Thanks Tingum. Looks like there are several options for us with 20 miles or so of Fish Creek. Hopefully we will get good cellular coverage around there as that's our source of weather data (other than VHF).

Looking forward to it. Thanks!
BD

Back
Top Bottom