Great loop - How long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is an incredible amount of history revealed on the GL.

The founding settlers from many different cultures established cities along the coastlines, especially where rivers spilling into the sea provided protection from storms and hostile raiders. Their imprint is still found among the people, architecture and cuisine found in these cities.

There were four wars fought around the GL, including along the ICWs, the Saint Lawrence, the Great Lakes and the Mississippi and Tennessee Rivers. The battlefields, museums, historic homes and parks tell the story of our country in great detail.

Besides the cruising experience, you can get your Phd in American History as you go.

Great Loop -How Long?

A question with a an infinite number of answers! Our trip aboard Classy Lady (Alaskan 46 14)began when we left the Detroit Yacht Club (Sept 2004). Went down the Detroit River, across Lake Erie, thru the Erie Canal, Down the Hudson to NYC. Then down the coast, down the Chesapeake, ICW to Charleston. Wintered there, then spring '05, started the CCW route Took till fall the year of Katrina ('05) to reach Tuscaloosa Al, wintered, found much damage along the coast at next intended destinations (Pensacola, Biloxi) so decided to move ashore.
Classy Lady is now le Voyageur home port Auckland NZ.
The trip can be what ever you wish. To enjoy, go slow, permit lots of side trips, explore extensively. The rivers are remarkable in themselves, and operating with the tow barges, communicating with the captains, planning passages next to these incredible vessels and their cargos is an experience to be savored! I still remember one towboat (Sugarland) and her captain with fond memories of discussions of maneuvering plans (one whistle or two) as we approached in the Mississippi southbound. Sugarland was up bound on the west side, and another towboat with several oil barges was also up bound to the East (right) of Sugarland. My call to Sugarland resulted in him saying (regarding passage "one whistle or two" "come on right thru the middle, and we'll call it a three whistle pass" Now the Mississippi was more than a mile wide at tis spot, so lots of room and it made a memory that I'll never forget!
So take all the time you can and enjoy
You may contact me : skipper_gr@msn.com
Regards
Gayle

......My call to Sugarland resulted in him saying (regarding passage "one whistle or two" "come on right thru the middle, and we'll call it a three whistle pass"

While this may sound cute, 3 whistles actually means operating in reverse or astern.
This is often used when backing out of a slip. Just sayin'.

......My call to Sugarland resulted in him saying (regarding passage "one whistle or two" "come on right thru the middle, and we'll call it a three whistle pass"

While this may sound cute, 3 whistles actually means operating in reverse or astern.
This is often used when backing out of a slip. Just sayin'.

Yes it is. I have recently stayed in a couple marinas that also have ferries running out of them and they will sound one long whistle (actually a horn) for leaving the slip followed by three short blasts for "astern propulsion".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom