Old 06-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
The Admiral has no interest in forums and only wanted to do the Great Loop in 2014 because I wanted to.
I e-mailed her the above link about Capt John's trip. She called me this morning, which is very rare for her to do when I am offshore. She loved his website, got all excited about it and wanted to know if we could do it next year. I told her that next year would be logistically impossible.
Anyway, want to thank you for the link.
Enough about me, when are you planning to start and what will be your starting point?

Tony B

Are you out on a Rig?

I'm at the Prudhoe Bay oil field myself.

ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #22
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I am currently on a Shell Pipeline platform. I bounce from place to place with the contracts.
I am about 80 miles south of the central La. coast.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
The Admiral has no interest in forums and only wanted to do the Great Loop in 2014 because I wanted to.
I e-mailed her the above link about Capt John's trip. She called me this morning, which is very rare for her to do when I am offshore. She loved his website, got all excited about it and wanted to know if we could do it next year. I told her that next year would be logistically impossible.
Anyway, want to thank you for the link.
Enough about me, when are you planning to start and what will be your starting point?

Tony B

You're welcome.

I am hoping to start the loop spring of 2015.I will be casting off from somewhere around Moultrie,SC.I have an uncle that lives in Camden on the NC/VA stateline near Chesapeake Bay.I may put in there and leave the truck and trailer at his place.As time gets closer,I will nail down a plan of attack.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Twiisted71 brings up an interesting concept of choosing a boat specifically for the loop journey. For all practical purposes, our boat is a loop boat and we chose it for that idea in mind, but our needs after the loop will likely evolve in some way that may reveal another design to be more practical in storage and maintenance costs, speed/range and frequency of usage.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #25

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
It is the GREAT CIRCLE CRUISE not route. Period.
Some refer to it as the GREAT LOOP.

It is impossible to do it all in one year. One can do some of it and actually complete the circle in one yr. but cannot do all of it. A lot must be left out in a one yr cruise. A lot. Such as, do the Erie, and miss completely the Rideau,Champlain, St Lawrence for starters. No Lake Huron nor Erie and the list goes on.
I know many who do the trip and then talking to them find out that they did not go to the Keys nor the Tortugas! Start talking about the Chesapeake and they shot through in a week or so. I was told that we spent a week in the Chessy for every DAY that most cruisers do and that was only the first season's time there, the following yr we spent another month.
I got an e mail from a freind today, who is spending 8 days on the Rideau, we spent 21 days!
We took 5 seasons and did over 9,000 miles and would have done 3,000 more but for causes beyond our control.
This is simply our desires and experience,
As always YMMV
charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
For all practical purposes, our boat is a loop boat and we chose it for that idea in mind, ...
Yes, but don't you miss having side decks?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #27
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Yes, but don't you miss having side decks?

This is a question that I asked other owners before I bought a Manatee. We've never had a boat with spacious side decks before, so we really don't exactly know what we are missing. There's a lot to be said for the ability to easily access a dock cleat from side deck like the Coot's. It's just that we haven't had a docking challenge come up that gave us pause. Clearly, the boat works better with pilings, but seems easily manageable with cleats right on the concrete wall.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
It's just that we haven't had a docking challenge come up that gave us pause. Clearly, the boat works better with pilings, but seems easily manageable with cleats right on the concrete wall.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: The Great State of Florida
Vessel Name: Always Home
Vessel Model: DeFever 47 POC
I found the Captain John's website and was swept away!! I just knew that is what we want to do when the SO retires. We figure to do the loop justice it will take at least 3 times around. We are excited. Now just to implement our plan!?!
OneofSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #30
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
We started doing the loop in 2010 and had to take a break to sell the farm and get parents moved into senior living, now we are back to it with a different boat and we will be at the rendeavous in October at Joe Wheeler.

In the mean time we are enjoying all that the TN river has to offer, look forward to seeing other trawler forum members on the trip.

Too often one partner isnt as excited as the other luckily for me my wife is very excited about our adventure. Like many others have stated dont be in too much of a hurry for a once in a life time trip.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #31
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
We started the loop in Satsuma, Fl up the St Johns river on 26th 0f March and docked for the Winter at Jackson County Marina, Scottsboro, Al. on 4 Nov. We traveled 3984 statute miles, 562 engine hours on our Monk36, we anchored 50% of the time. We had 52 days on the Erie canal, two weeks on the Trent-Severn canal, three week in Georgian Bay,and re-entered the USA on 19 August. Most loopers want to be heading south out of Canada before Labor Day because Lake Michigan starts kicking up weather wise and temperatures dropping up North. Lessons learned, order charts before starting trip, buy beer in USA and spare parts, never accept dockage between two finger piers when it's already occupied on one pier by a houseboat, trawlers and houseboats hulls are a miss-match. Wear a long sleeve shirt when picking wild blueberry's in Canada. Don't try to pick up a mooring ball off NY city when the tides running, we docked at Tarrytown up the Hudson river and took the train into NYC. We bravely anchored off West Point and toured the campus. We also had time to visit 65 towns/cities along the way for the day or a week as the need arose.
We later did the section from the Tennessee river to Ft Myers and hope to do another loop soon.
Bill
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #32
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
WOW! The entire loop in one paragraph. Nice! thanks.

Why do trawler and houseboat hulls not get along?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #33
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The only reason to rush through a trip like this would be the bragging rights of being able to say you did it.

Considering the cost, it makes sense to take your time and see the sights and visit the towns and cities along the way. It's been mentioned but there are a few options that add miles and days to the trip, but that's the whole point, at least for me.

I'm not planning on this trip, too much time away from home and too difficult to deal with. I'm planning a two month cruise and that's about all I can deal with considering making sure bills are paid, the house and yard are maintained, etc. For some folks it's easier to leave home for an extended time. And of course, for some folks, they take their homes with them.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Our plans are to start our first loop in 2016. We'd take different approaches depending on our situation.

Are you only going to have one chance? How much time do you reasonably have? What about inland rivers, will you have another chance?

Here is our plan. Quickly up the East Coast as we travel the East Coast regularly and can always go up and down it. We also intend separately sometime to go up and around to Montreal, but not on the 2016 trip. Want to time things to hit NY just as things are opening up in the spring, early May.

We want to enjoy the canals between NY and the Great Lakes as we might not go that route again. Now, our next point of schedule is to leave Chicago late September to Early October. So, as much time as we have we will spend on the Great Lakes. But then we also intend to get back to them some time. Still we see people just skirting them as if they're something to try to get through without getting bitten. They're incredible bodies of water with many variations of towns and areas.

Leaving Chicago to avoid the cold, then quickly down the Illinois and Mississippi to Kentucky Lake. I say quickly, not because of being in a hurry, but just the least to enjoy on that stretch.

Now we intend to then keep the boat a while at Aqua Yacht Harbor or somewhere else on Pickwick and use that as a jumping off point. Come home and go back maybe more than once. But we want to explore all the Tennessee River, an incredible area. Then the Cumberland River. And the Ohio River. All great inland waterways.

Only after that would we come on down the TN Tom. The trip from Mobile back to Fort Lauderdale we'd probably do more quickly as we also cover that area regularly.

In the future we might loop another time or two or we might just do partial loops. For instance, go as far as the Great Lakes, spend the summer on them, then back out the Welland and the St. Lawrence and back down the East Coast before freezing. Another year perhaps up the TN Tom, back to Pickwick and Kentucky Lake, back on the inland river systems.

If we only had one trip in us and didn't cover the coastal areas as much as we do, that trip would be more like this.

March to May 1 up the East Coast. May 1 to September 30, Canals and Great Lakes. Early October to Pickwick. October - November Color Cruise on the Tennessee. December to Mobile. January-February the Gulf Coast. March back home.

If you can't give it that much time, then we'd recommend breaking it into segments and going home in between. The only crucial time frame you face is to cover the cold weather section from May to September. Get into the canals and off the Great Lakes during that time. While 5 months won't allow you to cover the Great Lakes thoroughly, it will allow you to see more than many do.

Outside of the cold area you can always leave the boat and go home a while. That's what we intend to do on the Tennessee River.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #35
Guru

Great Loop

Your plan is do-able, but definitely not practical. You would be on the wet highway almost every single day for 10 months. The trip would be miserable.

In my estimation, a more practical approach would be to travel about 50 miles/day for 130 days given a 6500 mile trip. That would mean travelling an average of 6.5 hours/day and traveling every other day on the average for 260 days. Obviously, you will anchor over night and move out the next day in many instances and stay longer in others. This is just the average.
The other 40 days will get eaten up somehow whether its stopping for fuel and supplies, boat maintenance, minor sickness, weather and just for the heck of it.
Even this could be a very rigorous routine for 10 months, but very do-able.
As someone stated earlier, you will be missing a lot, however, you will have the feeling of pride and achievement which can not be replaced. I will say that moving every other day can get old very fast.

One last kicker is that a lot depends on where your starting point is. Would be great if you start late winter/early spring from Florida and head north. If you start from the North or mid-west, you will be in hurricane territory during hurricane season.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #36
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Google up Peterborough Ontario Marina, click on amenities, the floating docks have no finger piers separating the boats. Even though we had a great approach to our side of the dock our fenders touched the houseboats side wall causing much consternation from the owner. The Monk 36 rub strake is much higher and proud than the houseboats flat sidewall and very low lying pontoons.
My log for the loop is on four full size sheets of 11x8 paper so wanted to be brief and emphasis a few points, like leave early if starting from Florida because 1st of September is when you want to be leaving Canadian waters. We moved North with the temperatures and never rushed the trip.
We encountered two SeaRay's that where doing the loop in three months, ugh !!, and a trawler that was five years into the loop and only half way through the trip, they where seeing every nook and cranny and staying till they were bored with the each area. Don't try to over plan and remember the weather some times sets the schedule.
Bill
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #37
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Google up Peterborough Ontario Marina, click on amenities, the floating docks have no finger piers separating the boats. Even though we had a great approach to our side of the dock our fenders touched the houseboats side wall causing much consternation from the owner. The Monk 36 rub strake is much higher and proud than the houseboats flat sidewall and very low lying pontoons. My log for the loop is on four full size sheets of 11x8 paper so wanted to be brief and emphasis a few points, like leave early if starting from Florida because 1st of September is when you want to be leaving Canadian waters. We moved North with the temperatures and never rushed the trip.
Bill
Well it seems the problem is not that you were docked next to a housebout, the problem was that the slip was not wide enough for your boat and the houseboat. Another marina might have wider slips and a houseboat wouldn't have been a problem. Could you have asked for a different slip?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #38
Guru

From what I have read, quite a few loopers do it in 10 months yet others haul out for the winter season and return home to where ever that may be, for the winter and go back and continue the trip in the spring. This is usually done from 2 to 4 years. I have been thinking along the lines of the taking several years thing.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #39
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I think the most common time is 1 year, give or take, partly because that's how long it takes, but more to align you position with the seasons. North in the summer, south in the winter. If you want to take more than a year, it probably becomes two years because of the seasonality. You can more easily stretch your time in the southern sections than stretch your time in the northern sections, not just because it's uncomfortable, but because things start to close down.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #40
Guru

I have not yet calculated the mileage yet from NYC to the Ms. River. I used to live in NY State and I promise you that I would want to spend as much time up there as possible. Possibly haul out again in the fall and come south for the winter - by air.
That would then take 3 years total. One year to get to the Hudson Valley in NY and haul out. The second year to traverse the state and haul-out again before the Great Lakes and the third year to spend mostly on the Great Lakes and then back home in the south in the fall and early winter.
An old Jewish expression comes to mind: "I should live so long".