Grafton Harbor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
I've thought of moving to this marina has anyone got 1st hand information on staying here either year round or transient ? The marina I stay at has a surcharge on the electric, I had 1 month last summer that I was charged $325.00. I wouldn't think of moving if not for the rate charge for electric power. Grafton's slip rate is a little higher but there is no lug added to the electric rate, I'am sure over a years time the total cost would be less. One plus they have is pump outs at the slip this sounds good for a liveaboard but I usually have the boat out 2 - 3 times a week so stopping at the fuel dock to pump out isn't really a problem. On those rainy days when the red warning light comes on it would be nice. Please share any experience you may have with this marina.

Grafton is great. I was there a couple of weeks ago. Lots to do in the area within walking distance.
I personally like Alton Marina better but the water conditions are probably better at Grafton.

I can't comment as to Grafton, since the time I passed (June 2010) the place was very under water. But I would second Anode's recommendation of Alton Marina. I spent a night there on my return trip from Nashville. The place was fabulous. It was very hard to believe that a municipal marina could offer such a first class facility. The pool was awesome. It made me envious but It is a 4 hour drive down there, and I wouldn't trade river location, so I wouldn't trade. But it did look like there would be lots to do on the river in the area, if the river were not over flood stage as it was when I was there.

I've thought of moving to this marina has anyone got 1st hand information on staying here either year round or transient ? The marina I stay at has a surcharge on the electric, I had 1 month last summer that I was charged $325.00. I wouldn't think of moving if not for the rate charge for electric power. Grafton's slip rate is a little higher but there is no lug added to the electric rate, I'am sure over a years time the total cost would be less. One plus they have is pump outs at the slip this sounds good for a liveaboard but I usually have the boat out 2 - 3 times a week so stopping at the fuel dock to pump out isn't really a problem. On those rainy days when the red warning light comes on it would be nice. Please share any experience you may have with this marina.

Are there many liveaboards in the Grafton marina or other STL area marinas? I assume they'd be forced ashore during the winter freeze?

Are there many liveaboards in the Grafton marina or other STL area marinas? I assume they'd be forced ashore during the winter freeze?

When I talked to them last fall I'am sure they said there were a few liveaboards. I imagine most leave in the winter, I'am usually on my boat from March to mid December. At the cost of electric staying thru the winter where I'am at now about 65 miles up the river would cost to much. I heard a couple tried it a few years ago & had bills over $800.00 a month for electric. There are several marinas on the dardenne slough near Grafton north of St. Louis, some boaters there go out anytime the ice is gone, I doubt they liveaboard year round, just live close.

When I talked to them last fall I'am sure they said there were a few liveaboards. I imagine most leave in the winter, I'am usually on my boat from March to mid December. At the cost of electric staying thru the winter where I'am at now about 65 miles up the river would cost to much. I heard a couple tried it a few years ago & had bills over $800.00 a month for electric. There are several marinas on the dardenne slough near Grafton north of St. Louis, some boaters there go out anytime the ice is gone, I doubt they liveaboard year round, just live close.

Great, thanks! Been reading lots of books and tearing through numerous forums learning about trawlers... Guess I should take a spin through my own backyard!

Great, thanks! Been reading lots of books and tearing through numerous forums learning about trawlers... Guess I should take a spin through my own backyard!

Check out the marinas on the dardenne slough on the Missouri side. Walk the docks on a weekend & people will be glad to answer questions, may even see a few boats for sale. I know there's a 38 like mine down there that's been re-powered with Volvoes. A guy here just put his Kings Craft houseboat up for sale, he bought a bigger one in Minnesota. It has been well taken care of, it'll make someone a nice boat. I like boats that look like boats not ones that look like RVs. ;-)

Check out the marinas on the dardenne slough on the Missouri side. Walk the docks on a weekend & people will be glad to answer questions, may even see a few boats for sale. I know there's a 38 like mine down there that's been re-powered with Volvoes. A guy here just put his Kings Craft houseboat up for sale, he bought a bigger one in Minnesota. It has been well taken care of, it'll make someone a nice boat. I like boats that look like boats not ones that look like RVs. ;-)

Will do!

I was held up there in fall of 2011 for a few days and really enjoyed it. Lots friendly boaters around the docks with a lot of socializing. Town was hopping with several feeding and watering spots. I try and stop there every time I do a river trip.

Back
Top Bottom