Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Guru
 
River Cruiser's Avatar
 
City: UMR MM283
Country: US
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,228
Grafton Harbor

I've thought of moving to this marina has anyone got 1st hand information on staying here either year round or transient ? The marina I stay at has a surcharge on the electric, I had 1 month last summer that I was charged $325.00. I wouldn't think of moving if not for the rate charge for electric power. Grafton's slip rate is a little higher but there is no lug added to the electric rate, I'am sure over a years time the total cost would be less. One plus they have is pump outs at the slip this sounds good for a liveaboard but I usually have the boat out 2 - 3 times a week so stopping at the fuel dock to pump out isn't really a problem. On those rainy days when the red warning light comes on it would be nice. Please share any experience you may have with this marina.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Ron on Northern Lights II
I don't like making plans for the day because the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Guru
 
Anode's Avatar


 
City: Missourah
Country: USA
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 645
Grafton is great. I was there a couple of weeks ago. Lots to do in the area within walking distance.
I personally like Alton Marina better but the water conditions are probably better at Grafton.
__________________

__________________
Chip

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Capn Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 418
I can't comment as to Grafton, since the time I passed (June 2010) the place was very under water. But I would second Anode's recommendation of Alton Marina. I spent a night there on my return trip from Nashville. The place was fabulous. It was very hard to believe that a municipal marina could offer such a first class facility. The pool was awesome. It made me envious but It is a 4 hour drive down there, and I wouldn't trade river location, so I wouldn't trade. But it did look like there would be lots to do on the river in the area, if the river were not over flood stage as it was when I was there.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Animal's Avatar
 
City: St Louis
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I've thought of moving to this marina has anyone got 1st hand information on staying here either year round or transient ? The marina I stay at has a surcharge on the electric, I had 1 month last summer that I was charged $325.00. I wouldn't think of moving if not for the rate charge for electric power. Grafton's slip rate is a little higher but there is no lug added to the electric rate, I'am sure over a years time the total cost would be less. One plus they have is pump outs at the slip this sounds good for a liveaboard but I usually have the boat out 2 - 3 times a week so stopping at the fuel dock to pump out isn't really a problem. On those rainy days when the red warning light comes on it would be nice. Please share any experience you may have with this marina.
Are there many liveaboards in the Grafton marina or other STL area marinas? I assume they'd be forced ashore during the winter freeze?
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Guru
 
River Cruiser's Avatar
 
City: UMR MM283
Country: US
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal View Post

Are there many liveaboards in the Grafton marina or other STL area marinas? I assume they'd be forced ashore during the winter freeze?
When I talked to them last fall I'am sure they said there were a few liveaboards. I imagine most leave in the winter, I'am usually on my boat from March to mid December. At the cost of electric staying thru the winter where I'am at now about 65 miles up the river would cost to much. I heard a couple tried it a few years ago & had bills over $800.00 a month for electric. There are several marinas on the dardenne slough near Grafton north of St. Louis, some boaters there go out anytime the ice is gone, I doubt they liveaboard year round, just live close.
__________________
Ron on Northern Lights II
I don't like making plans for the day because the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Animal's Avatar
 
City: St Louis
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post

When I talked to them last fall I'am sure they said there were a few liveaboards. I imagine most leave in the winter, I'am usually on my boat from March to mid December. At the cost of electric staying thru the winter where I'am at now about 65 miles up the river would cost to much. I heard a couple tried it a few years ago & had bills over $800.00 a month for electric. There are several marinas on the dardenne slough near Grafton north of St. Louis, some boaters there go out anytime the ice is gone, I doubt they liveaboard year round, just live close.
Great, thanks! Been reading lots of books and tearing through numerous forums learning about trawlers... Guess I should take a spin through my own backyard!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Guru
 
River Cruiser's Avatar
 
City: UMR MM283
Country: US
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal View Post

Great, thanks! Been reading lots of books and tearing through numerous forums learning about trawlers... Guess I should take a spin through my own backyard!
Check out the marinas on the dardenne slough on the Missouri side. Walk the docks on a weekend & people will be glad to answer questions, may even see a few boats for sale. I know there's a 38 like mine down there that's been re-powered with Volvoes. A guy here just put his Kings Craft houseboat up for sale, he bought a bigger one in Minnesota. It has been well taken care of, it'll make someone a nice boat. I like boats that look like boats not ones that look like RVs. ;-)
__________________
Ron on Northern Lights II
I don't like making plans for the day because the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Animal's Avatar
 
City: St Louis
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post

Check out the marinas on the dardenne slough on the Missouri side. Walk the docks on a weekend & people will be glad to answer questions, may even see a few boats for sale. I know there's a 38 like mine down there that's been re-powered with Volvoes. A guy here just put his Kings Craft houseboat up for sale, he bought a bigger one in Minnesota. It has been well taken care of, it'll make someone a nice boat. I like boats that look like boats not ones that look like RVs. ;-)
Will do!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
City: Green Turtle Cay/Western NC
Country: Bahamas/US
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 109
I was held up there in fall of 2011 for a few days and really enjoyed it. Lots friendly boaters around the docks with a lot of socializing. Town was hopping with several feeding and watering spots. I try and stop there every time I do a river trip.
__________________

Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012