Glass-bottom boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not new. We used to go on these down in central Florida on family vacations in the 60's. Good touristy thing to do, not sure I'd want to own one.

What might be cool would be some sort of "window" in the hull, but you'd need to keep it clean. Then again, it would be cheaper and easier just to poke a camera on a stick down in the water and display it on a wide-screen TV.

John, do you have any personal interest or ownership of that site or business?

There are a couple of glass bottomed boats and a semi submersible submarine with glass siding and bottom in use for tourist attractions in Avalon on Catalina Island, SoCal.

A company I used to work for retrofitted a glass bottom in a 65' sightseeing boat. It was a novelty that seemed to wear off quickly. As CaptTom suggests, keeping it clean can become a pain.

Mechanics Illustrated used to publish a book of boat plans. One I had back in
the 1950s had plans for a dinghy with a glass bottom. Lost the book somewhere
over the years.

Ted

We built a few glass bottom boats in Bermuda. We used lexan as "The glass" the most effective way to keep clean we found was vaseline and mixed with fine ground "Hot" peppers. Once in the wtaer the vaseline becomes clear and depending on pepper colour just has a slight hue. just need a occasional dip and smear of fresh stuff.

Faithfully, I hadn't had any adventurous trips in my life. I was busy with my career. I thought to have a change and looked for an adventure, there I found out that. I am new and don't have any experience in cruising. But I liked that innovative idea.

Faithfully, I hadn't had any adventurous trips in my life. I was busy with my career. I thought to have a change and looked for an adventure, there I found out that. I am new and don't have any experience in cruising. But I liked that innovative idea.

You did not mention your location nor your goals

I am assuming your bride is on board with you and like you has little experience.

Charter a boat you like! Be gone for a week.

Buy a boat that can be handled by 2 people. Start small and if you want, you can move up to a larger boat. Diesel of course. 1 or 2 engines, your preference. Reasonable generator. Bow thruster and stern thruster. Good to have the knowledge you can maneuver the boat in tight spaces.

Get a tech out to your boat who knows your engines, take a tour, ask questions, make notes. Then, hire a captain to train you two. That may take 4 or 5 days. Translates to BIG BUCKS.

I suggest you look at an American Tug. I have a 34 one stateroom. You might look at a 42, 2 staterooms. Look for closet space, drawers etc. on any brand of boat you might consider.

Once your friends discover you have a boat, "Can we go? Call us when you are ready to leave. (shore power off the boat, water hose off the boat, most of the lines removed.)" That translates to maybe a 4-6 hour cruise. Then you and wife are left with a half tied up, disorganized, dirty boat, inside and outside and no shore power on board.

Teach the guests how to use the head. Show and instruct them on the life jackets.

"Stuff": get it, use it, put it back where you found it so you can get, find and use it again.

I have a rule, no beer or booze served underway. I might need assistance and sure don't need the assistance of a drunk.

That may sound negative but, you will learn over time then, you can write your own rules.

Last edited:
Glass bottomed boats are used in many waterside tourist attractions. I remember riding in one in the 50s in Silver Springs, Florida.

We experienced a glass bottomed tour boat in Hawaii a number of years back, and never again! About half of the tourists were seasick, including myself. Mind you, much of my viewing was through the eyepiece on my camera, which probably didn't help.

When I worked on a cruise ship we sold tickets to glass bottom boats in the Bahamas... people love them when they are a novelty. Its a great way to get someone who can't/won't snorkel to see underwater and hopefully develop some marine eco-awareness.

Its a fun project to take a 5 gallon bucket and replace the bottom with lexan. Great for use in a small boat or kayak to see the bottom.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom