Old 11-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Best performing bottom paint in fresh water

Posting here because I figured it may be the best place to get help on this from other freshwater boaters. Northern Lights II is getting the gel on the bottom peeled and the 4 coats of interprotect 2000 barrier epoxy coating. I've been using an ablative bottom paint and haven't been very happy with its performance. Woolsey yacht shield allows growth even though I use my boat 9 months out of the year at 100 + hours. What have you guys who boat in fairly warm fresh water mid 80s during the summer found that best retards growth? I'am leaning towards a hard paint instead of ablative now but responses here could change that. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I'm happy with our hard black AF paint, no idea the brand. I dive on my boat and there is nearly no growth at all. Some boats in my shed look like they have a little lettuce growing on them.

Not sure our water temps ever get that high though. One of the other Delta Rats may come along that pays more attention to that.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Temps on Lake Michigan rarely make it above 70 even on the surface. Makes me wonder why I am having a coat of AF paint applied this year.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The major paint manufacturers have guides on their websites to help you pick the best paint for your boat and conditions. I recommend that you check these sites.

Also, ask your diver or other divers in your area what products work best in your area.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The major paint manufacturers have guides on their websites to help you pick the best paint for your boat and conditions. I recommend that you check these sites.

Also, ask your diver or other divers in your area what products work best in your area.

I don't use a diver and no one else in the marina uses one to clean hulls, there are no local divers that I'am aware of, I thought that was more a saltwater environment thing. The mississippi isn't clear enough to do anything by sight if your over 12" deep. At this time I'am thinking of going with Interlux Ultra it's for heavy fouling areas. The problem is that 1 year is about as long as new bottom paint has lasted before I start noticing a significant decline in performance - loss of wot speed, rpm and getting on step. I don't often run over 1200 to 1300 rpm while cruising but I do an occasional wot run to check rpm for feedback on engine tune and hull condition. The 2nd year on paint I'll be down 5 mph and and 200 - 250 rpm at wot. When I was on a inland lake 3+ years was the norm but the lake was much cleaner, water was clearer. I would like to find a paint that would perform that well on the Mississippi River.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #6

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
At this time I'am thinking of going with Interlux Ultra it's for heavy fouling areas.
There is no better perfoming, longer lasting anti fouling paint than Pettit Trinidad, IMHO. While both are hard paints, Interlux Ultra pales in comparison.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
There is no better perfoming, longer lasting anti fouling paint than Pettit Trinidad, IMHO. While both are hard paints, Interlux Ultra pales in comparison.

Thank you I'am wanting to find something that'll keep the bottom clean longer than 1 season. I use my boat normally from mid March to mid December and usually have it out at least once a week. So I don't believe lack of use is the problem. I just read the literature on Trinidad and will have to choose between them, Trinidad is the front runner at this point.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #8

Know however, that most hard paints (including Trinidad) cannot withstand prolonged periods exposed to air. FYI in case you haul for the winter.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Know however, that most hard paints (including Trinidad) cannot withstand prolonged periods exposed to air. FYI in case you haul for the winter.

It stays in year round I typically haul every 2 years for anodes and paint. If I can get 3 or 4 years between new bottom paint I would be very happy.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Just applied Coppercoat from Coppercoat USA. We will see how it does.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Just applied Coppercoat from Coppercoat USA. We will see how it does.

Just read their website sounds like a very good product. Keep us updated on its performance.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
...sounds like a very good product.
Yeah, I wouldn't bet the farm on that being the case.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't bet the farm on that being the case.

Just need clarification are we all talking fresh water here?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Just need clarification are we all talking fresh water here?
No. San Francisco Bay. But that's not the point. The point is that in my experience, it is not a very good product, the company's web site claims notwithstanding.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
No. San Francisco Bay. But that's not the point. The point is that in my experience, it is not a very good product, the company's web site claims notwithstanding.
Thank you for your input which is as always informative and based on experience. My boat however lives most of its life in fresh water and what I and the OP are looking for is what will work for us. Are there any fresh water divers out there?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #16
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
That's been my experience as well

Quote:
Not very effective.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #17
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Really

Quote:
I gotten 4 years out of Interlux Ultra with Bilox in the SF bay /area. I've never tried Trinidad, I'm using Procoat epoxy currently and not impressed. In the summer warm fresh water in the Delta i get green slime build up. I had the sales rep from Svensens out to check it out. He said it's the clear warm water and sunlight. It wipes off but I never had to wipe down Interlux. A run into Salt water cleans it right off, but still I'm looking at it all summer. Now that the water has cooled down the problem is much less. What kind of life are you getting with Trinidad.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #18

We get 3+ years with Trinidad, cleaned every other month. I can tell an Ultra bottom within 6-9 months of splashing here in the Bay. It just doesn't perform as well as Trinidad. But again, freshwater vs. saltwater is apples and oranges.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #19
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Are you talking about Coppercoat, or Copperpoxy? Common mistake, BIG difference. Copperpoxy, which was made with copper flakes (most likely cuprous oxide) has been around for a few decades in this country, and evidently it requires sanding or some form of abrasion every season to "reactivate". I've spoken with people who used that product, both as boat owners and as yards/applicators. It comes nowhere near Coppercoat in performance. I'm not even sure you can get it any more. And Coppercoat has only been in the US for about 5 years, so anything applied before that would be the other stuff.

We hauled out (for repairs after being hit by another boater) a year and a half after applying Coppercoat, and there was not a single barnacle or anything attached to the hull. The yard guy said the thin layer of slime washed off "like butter". We confidently expect at least 10-15 years, and probably more. They are pulling boats now in Europe and other parts of the world that had Coppercoat applied in the mid-'90s, and they typically get washed down and put back in the water. If there is any touch up work required, it's usually just at the waterline. I'll take that after 20 years of not having to do a bottom job!

If in fact the boat in your photo does have Coppercoat, I would hazard a guess that it was not applied correctly. We made a video of the application process on our boat, and it has to be applied by following the directions to a "T" or it will not perform as intended.
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Are you talking about Coppercoat, or Copperpoxy? Common mistake, BIG difference. Copperpoxy, which was made with copper flakes (most likely cuprous oxide) has been around for a few decades in this country, and evidently it requires sanding or some form of abrasion every season to "reactivate".
I've been in the hull cleaning business for over twenty years and have performed 20,000 in-water hull cleanings, so when I post a picture and tell you that its Coppercoat, you can take that to the bank.

Seems that most positive anecdotes about Coppercoat and other copper-loaded epoxies, come from people who do their boating in regions of low fouling, like the PNW. Once you get down here where fouling is an honest-to-God concern, the stories aren't quite so rosy.

BTW- I hate to break the news to you, but Coppercoat requires regular haulouts for sanding, just like Copperpoxy did.