Old 11-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #41
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
We keep our boat in the Chesapeake; some salt water, some brackish water, & even some freshwater areas. In 2013, I applied Pettit's Hydrocoat, a water based AF paint. No paint was applied at the beginning of the 2014 season. Boat was hauled last week; some slime & mud, but no hard growth. Pettit advertises it as a multi-season paint; my conversation w/tech folks led me to think at least 2 seasons, perhaps more, might be possible. So far, I like it.

chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #42
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I was ready to go with the Pettit Trinidad SR after fstbttms recommendation and my further research it appeared to be the better of the 2 paints for the performance I wanted. Then I talked with both companies tech support, after explaining where the boat is and what improvement I was looking for over what has been used neither one claimed their paint was better than the other. They both said that their paints were very similar in performance, the Interlux tech pointed out that because it was getting the interprotect 2000 barrier coat that if any problems arose during the warranty period there would be no question that it would be covered. If it had the Trinidad then there's the possibility that Interlux and Pettit would point fingers back and forth at who's product is at fault. He also told me that Ultra has less cooper it is more efficient in how it is released and having less copper is why it's cheaper than Trinidad. This is the point that I started to re-think my decision to go with Trinidad, the warranty info was the deciding factor. Talked with the marina yesterday and decided to go with Ultra, a red base coat and then a black 2nd coat and a 3rd coat in high wear areas, now just waiting for warm weather.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #43

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
FYI- I find that there is marked and very noticeable difference in performance between Ultra and Trinidad. YMMV.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #44
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
River Cruiser...You are wise to keep the barrier and top coats of the same mfg. I stripped my bottom and replaced the barrier and top coats last spring. Not a cheap project. Both supplied by the same company. Well guess what we found in the fall when we hauled the boat. Major top coat failure. Needless to say there was no fingers being pointed. Just a simple statement. We'll stand behind our product. It's being taken care of, no further questions.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
FYI- I find that there is marked and very noticeable difference in performance between Ultra and Trinidad. YMMV.
While you are the professional and I am just a consumer....I get a SOLID 5 years out of Ultra Bio!!! If there is a "marked and very noticeable difference in performance" in the Trinidad, I'd be curious to see what I would get!!!!....10 years????? Sorry brutha, I am absolutely sold on Ultra!!!! 5 years is hard to beat. I am almost two years into the current paint. I don't expect to paint it for at least another two years.....
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #46

City: Jacksonville Fla
Vessel Name: The Office
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
We use Trinidad Petit SR 60 last 3-4 years and that is in warm salt water of South Georgia and Florida. Lasted 6 years on our sailboat but we were very gentle with the monthly bottom cleaning. See @ TheOffice: @ TheOffice: Bottom's Up or at least painted All done!
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:34 AM   #47

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
While you are the professional and I am just a consumer....I get a SOLID 5 years out of Ultra Bio!!!
I have never seen any paint provide good anti fouling performance for anything approaching 5 years. But that's here and you're there. Again, I guess YMMV.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #48
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I agree that the first time over an epoxy barrier coat that you stay in manufacturer...just for "bonding" till the product is fully cured.

After the first year...you can always top off with whatever is quoted as compatable.

My personal experience has shown bottom paint results to wildly vary depending on water conditions, boat use and paint application.

Hard to beat soft paint full of copper for slow boats that don't move much....beyond that it can vary a lot.

While I prefer ablatives and Interlude after a bad experience with Petit... Trinidad seems to have the best rep of any paint I know....but only for the boats that can really use it.

Sea Hawk paint was the last bottom job that impressed me on a boat that sat a lot. Forget which particular mix though.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #49
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I think the fouling problem where I'am at on the mississippi can be blamed on agricultural runoff, plenty of nutrients in the warm water and very calm conditions in the harbor.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #50
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I'm through w high performance bottom paints. Put on Interlux Micron Extra and it lasted for 3 years. Great but ... they claimed it as an "ablative" coating and it definitely wasn't. Had to scrape it all off and I'm NOT inclined to do that again. I use a very inexpensive bottom coat now called "Sea Mate" by Petitt. Less than $100 a gallon. Ninety five percent of the boats near the place where we lived in SE Alaska used this coating .... and just put more on every year or so.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #51
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Had just the opposite experience...Petitt that didn't ablate....thus my pist about almost anything applied good may work..or not......roll the dice...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #52

City: Taylor
Vessel Name: Landfall
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Have always had good experience with fiberglass bottomkote, hard paint. red actually works best in some areas, but black has always performed well. We used red on the bottom and black on visible portions one year. Now has an additive for soft growth which is the biggest problem in the lakes. Some folks add red pepper to deter zebra mussels, but may be a urban legend.

Landfall is offline   Reply With Quote