Work in progress. 65' lugger reworked after a fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn’t realize I haven’t updated in a long time, I’ve been watching Matt’s project and didn’t think about posting my progress, working on the galley, I’m just about out of my Cypress
View attachment 85951View attachment 85952View attachment 85953

Love those cypress cabinets. How are you going to seal the wood, natural or with a satin polyurethane? I've used just a wax finish and a satin sealer; prefer the wax but this was in a home.

Like that big genny! Ya gonna get a bigger ice maker and added refrigeration? Margaritas on the hook in the Chandeliers!:thumb:

Finally priming the cabin after several years of off white primer it will be white primer
IMG_1547.jpgIMG_1548.jpg

Finally priming the cabin after several years of off white primer it will be white primer

Looking good
Will the white primer eventually get topcoat or is white primer the new topcoat?

No I'm going for the full Monti, I have some great painters and they are doing a fantastic job so I will keep them working until its finished or I'm broke,,,,,,,again. I'll post some pictures of the galley this evening, it turned out so nice I can't believe its my galley.

No I'm going for the full Monti, I have some great painters and they are doing a fantastic job so I will keep them working until its finished or I'm broke,,,,,,,again. I'll post some pictures of the galley this evening, it turned out so nice I can't believe its my galley.

Looking forward to see Galley Paint!

View attachment 88108View attachment 88109
She’s really looking good Paul. It’s nice when you can hire someone that does this everyday. Good painters are not easy to find.
My Dad is gone now and he was a painter most of his life. Joy does all of our painting now. She says she’s always asking my Dad to guide her hand.
This is going to be another huge transformation for the Rose. Keep at it man.

Here are some primer pictures. I don’t know whether to paint the ceiling flat white or off white to hide the ripples in the fiberglass or fair out the ripples
IMG_1695.jpg
IMG_1692.jpgIMG_1693.jpgIMG_1694.jpg

The walls turned out pretty good

Here are some almost finished shots of the galley
IMG_1696.jpgIMG_1701.jpgIMG_1702.jpgIMG_1703.jpgIMG_1704.jpgIMG_1705.jpgIMG_1707.jpg

Last edited:
Paul, ya'll going to the big fireworks display in Gulfport on the 4th? The Cajun Rose is lookin' fantastic great work! Noticed your speck rods at the ready!

We are leaving in the morning for Chandelier till Sunday afternoon, I think we will see gulfport and New Orleans fireworks at the same time

We ended up with about 250 specs and red fish. Great trip, we had 8 of us on board and my 14’year old out fished me two of the three days. Incredible trip, boat ran great, new geny did great, it was a ball busting 100 degree days so I did have some ice machine issues
IMG_1713.jpg

We ended up with about 250 specs and red fish. Great trip, we had 8 of us on board and my 14’year old out fished me two of the three days. Incredible trip, boat ran great, new geny did great, it was a ball busting 100 degree days so I did have some ice machine issues
View attachment 90746

Makes all the work of the past several years worth it! Kudos,Paul

Great to hear Paul! Glad after all you efforts that your big baby boat is working out well!! :thumb:

Wife and I spent 5 days aboard our Tolly. Anchored out, cruising a bit and a lot of swimming. Visited with friends on their island. Went to Hilton Hotel Family's 4th July fireworks. Best I've ever seen in all my decades; outstanding!! :dance:

:

Wife and I spent 5 days aboard our Tolly. Anchored out, cruising a bit and a lot of swimming. Visited with friends on their island. Went to Hilton Hotel Family's 4th July fireworks. Best I've ever seen in all my decades; outstanding!! :dance:

That’s what it’s all about[emoji106]

This looks like a great project, Congratulations for a job well done. I am in process of rebuilding a 58' Aluminum Hull will plans to install two 6-71 DD naturals. Leaning toward 2.5 to 1 ratio and books call for a 30" props. I am trying to work out the best transmission ratio and prop size to obtain the best fuel economy at 8-9 knots. Any info on fuel burn, prop size or gear ratio? Thanks

Not sure on my gear ratio but I have 33” props and averaged 8 mph. Any faster and I start getting vibration but my fuel burn is excellent at that speed, I don’t have running numbers but I can take an5 day trip running 60 miles to the fishing hole stay five days, generator running the entire time, and burn 150 gallons

This looks like a great project, Congratulations for a job well done. I am in process of rebuilding a 58' Aluminum Hull will plans to install two 6-71 DD naturals. Leaning toward 2.5 to 1 ratio and books call for a 30" props. I am trying to work out the best transmission ratio and prop size to obtain the best fuel economy at 8-9 knots. Any info on fuel burn, prop size or gear ratio? Thanks

You can start by using the calculator at vicprop.com

Well see what happens when I stop lurking for a while!! Looking great man!!

Thank you! I haven’t had a chance to use it very much this year, I just finished the house this spring, I’ve been working on the old house to get it ready to sell but it was loaded with termites. Now it’s done and I think I’m more ready for hunting season than boating right now. Hope all is well
9724C8EF-997D-4987-9985-E365A3E9C0CA.jpg

Great looking setup you have there, boat and house.
I do like that generous eyebrow on the boat, we need to extend ours to cut down on sun on some angles.

Paul, I did a bottom up refit of an empty hull like yours. *A lot of what we did is described on the boat's website. *Perhaps some of that information will prove useful, but some decisions may vary depending on how you intend to use the boat and in what climate. *Mississippi is different from Washington State....

Hi Delfin. Could you point me in the direction of your boats website.
Always looking for clues. Thx, Alan

Back
Top Bottom