Work in progress. 65' lugger reworked after a fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Upon further inspection at the shop 3 of the 6 pistons were missing rings, the sleeves were very loose in the block. The good, crank and block in great shape, head is not warped or cracked. Should be done in a week

With all that, was she still running?

I was shocked yesterday when the mechanic called and said he was ready to set the rebuilt head this morning. It takes 4 of us to work it in there.
To answer some questions:
-Yes, it was running fairly well, it would take a little while to start, lots of white smoke upon starting but that would clear up quickly. The only problem I was having was a constant search for idle. I could run for 8 hours and when I would go to set the anchor the engine would die from going in and out of gear.
-Ski you are right, I had the port engine done last year. It was a night/day difference between the two but I didn't know what an engine with 5k hours was suppose to sound like and act like. Now I know what a wore out engine sounds and acts like. I wasn't there for the liner fitting but last time they (Johnson Diesel) gave me several different size liners that we could fit into the bore until we found the right one. Then they loaded the liners. Mechanic also commented on my RTV sealant I applied to the oil pan when I had removed it to fix a crack, he said that stuff could easily come off inside the pan and clog up the pick up for the oil pump.
-The entire engine can be serviced in place. Unless block failure happens. There is enough room to crawl under the engine. The term Lugger here locally refers to older Chandeleur Island head boats, in the 50's and 60's that was big livin'

I was shocked yesterday when the mechanic called and said he was ready to set the rebuilt head this morning. It takes 4 of us to work it in there.
-Yes, it was running fairly well, it would take a little while to start, lots of white smoke upon starting but that would clear up quickly. The only problem I was having was a constant search for idle. I could run for 8 hours and when I would go to set the anchor the engine would die from going in and out of gear.
-Ski you are right, I had the port engine done last year. It was a night/day difference between the two but I didn't know what an engine with 5k hours was suppose to sound like and act like. Now I know what a wore out engine sounds and acts like. I wasn't there for the liner fitting but last time they (Johnson Diesel) gave me several different size liners that we could fit into the bore until we found the right one. Then they loaded the liners. Mechanic also commented on my RTV sealant I applied to the oil pan when I had removed it to fix a crack, he said that stuff could easily come off inside the pan and clog up the pick up for the oil pump.
-The entire engine can be serviced in place. Unless block failure happens. There is enough room to crawl under the engine. The term Lugger here locally refers to older Chandeleur Island head boats, in the 50's and 60's that was big livin'

Thanks for the notes, Paul. Now you'll have two like new engines in one grand like new boat! :thumb:

When the engine rebuild came about I was working on my new speakers on the back deck, I installed and a blue tooth receiver and flush ceiling mount speakers
IMG_0709.jpg

:thumb:

Biloxi native here love the work you've done.

I was keeping a keen eye out for her on a recent visit to see family.. mind PM'ing me the location?

Would love to lay eyes on her.

Did it snow in south Mississippi last night? Haha
IMG_0773.jpg

Here’s the first trip of the summer, we took the Rose to Orange Beach. New engine ran great, Just bolted the helm chair down and used the auto pilot for the first time of many.
https://youtu.be/AxWXgLEUfRM

Thank you brother, my dog was a little freaked out by the wheel. But she warmed up too it

Motor on young fellow... Motor ON!

I know y’all didn’t run out of beer! That would have been some terrible planning.

Oh no, beer is top priority
IMG_0793.jpg
Maybe too many beers may have had something to do with this
IMG_0819.jpg
Backed the dingy under the garage and poles and antenna was up.
Disclaimer, my brother was the culprit in the dingy incident

Oh no, beer is top priority
View attachment 74953
View attachment 74954
Disclaimer, my brother was the culprit in the dingy incident

:facepalm::banghead: Been there....done that! Didn't have a brother nearby to blame it on though.

View attachment 74954
Disclaimer, my brother was the culprit in the dingy incident[/QUOTE]

Hahahahaha good one

Last edited:
Ouch ! I’ve done something similar with a sixteen ft hobie cat. While towing it up the ramp with mast up I caught a tree branch and almost knocked the hobie off the trailer.

Worked on the helm the last few days, going fishing tomorrow for four days.
IMG_0975.jpgIMG_0979.jpgIMG_0977.jpg

Nice Swampu. Great job on a really cool rig . I’m a thinking your family and your buddies are really loving the Rose . We hope to make it your way someday on the William., you’re only 11 days down the ditch from us .

Golly, Paul - the view through your classic vertical pilothouse windows of the canal running through the marsh grass just makes a guy want to reach for the wheel, ease those throttles forward and mosey on. Looking good!!

I didn’t realize I haven’t updated in a long time, I’ve been watching Matt’s project and didn’t think about posting my progress, working on the galley, I’m just about out of my Cypress
IMG_1431.jpgIMG_1432.jpgIMG_1433.jpg

I have replace the tired genset with a new kohler 19kw
IMG_1173.jpg
That was a huge pain in the ass

My painter got arrested for felony possession of cocaine so I guess I’m not going to see her all one color anytime soon

Damn that sucks. Guess you could post his bail and he paints before his trial?

Back
Top Bottom