Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Old 02-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #41
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Hello, I thought I would post some updated pictures of the Rose. I've finally dug all the burn out and the topside is sealed and the bilge is painted. Check it out.
Oh yea, up date on the tinned wire thread. I've actually hired an electrician that will be doing the work with marine wire and to ABYC standards.. It may take a while but it will be right.

And the bilge:

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #42
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
...It's geting 100%.

Clean job!

Portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #43
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Looking great Paul, the Rose is a lucky lady to have you so dedicated to bringing her back.

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #44
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Man, that looks great.
Still looking forward to meeting you and Cajun Rose this year in Biloxi.
The Admiral was normally in excellent health until this past year. This has caused some delays in our trip. We are now shooting for starting out of Galveston Bay between April 1 and April 15. Should hit Biloxi area about 4 weeks later with many stop-overs along the way to meet old friends and some new ones I have met on here.
Our goal is to be free of Hurricane territory by July 1. That should put us in Northeast Ms./NW Al.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #45
FF
Guru

Something we have done on our 90/90 (33ft LOA) is to have multiple tank spaces (3 per side) that hold 35Gal flex tanks.

Going to the Bahamas all 6 water bag tanks are filled with nice Cape Coral RO that lasts .

Wintering in NYC iced in 8 inches, the 6 diesel tanks are used instead.

200G of whichever is useable , with out talking up the internal volume for 400G of tanks.

Tank volume is a concern on small cruisers.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #46
Guru

Man I can't believe it's been this long with no progress but all that is about to change. I've got a engine guy starting on the port dd to fix a leak in the head and run the rack on both before I paint them. Thanks to the current administration there are plenty of highly skilled fiberglass workers out of a job locally so I am going to finish all the fiberglass work. I can't wait to get her in the water and get to some cruising.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #47
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Man I can't believe it's been this long with no progress but all that is about to change. I've got a engine guy starting on the port dd to fix a leak in the head and run the rack on both before I paint them. Thanks to the current administration there are plenty of highly skilled fiberglass workers out of a job locally so I am going to finish all the fiberglass work. I can't wait to get her in the water and get to some cruising.
Well, I must say, it's about time, Paul. What do you project guys think we have to do when you're not working? Looking forward to you getting your boat back out to the Chandeleurs.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #48
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Thanks for the update Paul, now how about some pictures?

I love the lines of the Rose and the purpose for which she is being resurrected.

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:47 AM   #49
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Nice job mate!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #50
Guru

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Great Swampu glad to see you back at it . Keep us updated .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #51
Guru

Here are some updates on the electrical system. I have had an electrician install the batteries, switches and wiring for the gensets and the mains. The gensets have each a dedicated group 27 battery with a trickle charger for each battery. On/off switch and then a genset select switch in the bilge. I did this on purpose to force myself to check the fluids and condition of the genset before I swap units. They will have remote starts.

Now for the mains. We (I built the platform) installed an 80 amp Newmar charger which can handle 3 banks of batteries. Each main has a 2 (8d) battery box with breaker, on/off switch and a parallel on/off switch. The parallel also has a solenoid which can be operated from the helm (when we get to that point). There are also start and stop buttons mounted next to each engine for operation in the engine room. Charger is charging now and the 8d's will finally be getting a good charge. I've been trying to top them off with car chargers for the last couple of years. I hope I haven't damaged them beyond useful life. I plan on replacing them with 4 new batteries when I get closer to using the boat full time.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #52
Guru

Looks nice Paul . What a difference a real electrician can make with boat wiring . soo much neater than a carpenter trying to do it . I would like to turn a real electrician loose in mine and let him spruce my wiring up .
Old 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #53
Guru

Looks better and I am not as worried as I would be about something shorting out and cooking my timbers. Next step is going to be the main panels and running power to the helm.. The missing breaker on a few of the pictures is where the 100 amp circuit breaker will go for the dc to the panel.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #54

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Name: Brass Ring
Vessel Model: 38 bayliner
Swampu

One thing that I saw no comments on was the pre-wiring for audio/video and possibly alarms. It is easy to do before trim but a pain as well as a mess to do afterward. With that size of boat and the multiple passengers you may have at least one venu suitable for a drop down screen and projection type home theatre. The pre-wire does not commit you to anything but even leaving some type of channel so this could be done has merit.

On the question of power, I had propane on my last boat and loved it but a retrofit on my existing boat has venting issues which are much easier to solve when at your stage.
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #55
Guru

Bob, All good advice. I would like to install an apple hard drive with remote monitors for music. I tunes and I tv seem to work well but I just haven't thought a lot about it. I would probably build a cabinet behind the helm that the tv will drop into, prewiring for surround sound is a must and cameras will be integral in the engine room checking vitals, engine oil "catch", belts, genset ir camera's and smoke and high water alarms. I would like to use the service (alarm service) that utilizes cell technology which you can monitor from your smart phone. I can't wait to get to that part of the build. Propane will probably be for cooking only after the thread on on demand kinda swaying my mind.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #56

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Name: Brass Ring
Vessel Model: 38 bayliner
With that kind of set up a small amount of planning could be helpful. Make sure you have some space where at least the front 3 speakers can fit such that they have the centers generally pointed toward the audience. Also leave some room (and it doesn't so much matter where)for a powered sub
Check if your apple tv produces at least 720p or it will look crappy on a big screen
BTW my propane suggestion was more for the frig than the stove as it runs quietly all the time but needs to be vented.
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #57
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
soo much neater than a carpenter trying to do it .
Fwoar ... Ease up on Us "Chippies" mate ... If its anyone's fault. Its the Painters!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #58
Guru

Ok....Its been a long time since my last update. The Rose had a few minor set backs. 3 of the 6 injectors were bad on the starboard engine and I've got a bad liner in the #6 cylinder on the port engine. The injectors are replaced in the starboard engine and she purrs like a kitten. The mechanic is going to fix the other soon. I was moving right along and this kind of set me back about 6 months but hopefully some progression is ahead instead of the regression of the past year. I'll keep updates coming...Paul
Old 10-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #59
Guru

Welcome back Paul .Great to hear from you again .
Old 10-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #60
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Tags
biloxi lugger, cajun rose, rebuild, wooden boat