Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Old 11-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #21
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
RE: Work in progress. 65' lugger reworked after a fire

The best improvement on my boat?* Forward looking sonar, hands down.* Inexpensive piece of mind in skinny waters.* Second?* Serious radio.*

This was after we had all the really inportant electronics, including an AIS reciever (under $200 for a unit that shows targets on our plotter)........Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger

Quote:
Forkliftt wrote:
Paul, did you make it to the Wooden Boat Festival in Madisonville, there was a Lugger class and there were several beautiful refits, but none the length of yours as I recall. Could have been a goldmine of ideas. Personally I would consider keeping the new fuel tanks and removing the old. We have 450 gallon capacity and that is WAY too much. I think that today with so many places to buy fuel and Activecaptain it is unnecessary to carry so much fuel. I would also consider home style appliances given your generators. Stove, fridge, dishwasher, washer/ dryer. You're gonna be running the gen set anyway in our climate. Why bother with anything 12 volt besides lighting and a good inverter. We go out to Ship, Horn and Cat Islands when able and hope to see you out there next summer!
I wanted to go but lost out. *The wife and son wanted to go camping, so in the woods we go. *I thought about loosing the old tanks but I am kind of a end of the world kind of guy and think 1000 gallons of fuel is good to have or at least if we have another Katrina I would have 1k of fuel for my truck. *I would like to go with the home style appliances but one generator gets 1.7 gallon/hour. *One weekend at horn would be at least 3 days at 24 hours/day thats 72 hours at 1.7 gph thats almost $500 per weekend. *Crazy huh! *Ideally what I would like is a big battery bank with the inverter that can run a fridge and ac at night. *Run the genny a few hours every night and install ice makers for my cold boxes and run that at the dock before we leave and fill em up. I can't wait to see you. *Maybe next summer

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #23
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Work in progress. 65' lugger reworked after a fire

Quote:
swampu wrote:Forkliftt wrote:
Paul, did you make it to the Wooden Boat Festival in Madisonville, there was a Lugger class and there were several beautiful refits, but none the length of yours as I recall. Could have been a goldmine of ideas. Personally I would consider keeping the new fuel tanks and removing the old. We have 450 gallon capacity and that is WAY too much. I think that today with so many places to buy fuel and Activecaptain it is unnecessary to carry so much fuel. I would also consider home style appliances given your generators. Stove, fridge, dishwasher, washer/ dryer. You're gonna be running the gen set anyway in our climate. Why bother with anything 12 volt besides lighting and a good inverter. We go out to Ship, Horn and Cat Islands when able and hope to see you out there next summer!
I wanted to go but lost out. *The wife and son wanted to go camping, so in the woods we go. *I thought about loosing the old tanks but I am kind of a end of the world kind of guy and think 1000 gallons of fuel is good to have or at least if we have another Katrina I would have 1k of fuel for my truck. *I would like to go with the home style appliances but one generator gets 1.7 gallon/hour. *One weekend at horn would be at least 3 days at 24 hours/day thats 72 hours at 1.7 gph thats almost $500 per weekend. *Crazy huh! *Ideally what I would like is a big battery bank with the inverter that can run a fridge and ac at night. *Run the genny a few hours every night and install ice makers for my cold boxes and run that at the dock before we leave and fill em up. I can't wait to see you. *Maybe next summer

*Paul, That would sure take a bite out of your boating budget! We love the boating and restaurants in the area and should be back over by early spring. Here is a shot I took of a shrimp trawler off of Biloxi earlier this year.

-- Edited by Forkliftt on Monday 21st of November 2011 08:23:04 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf7390.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	8628  
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:20 AM   #24
FF
Guru

AS suggested an RV or a higher grade Servelle fridge will run a month on a 20# bottle of propane.

ALL in silence with no maint!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #25
Guru

I've got a norcold sp. in my rv which I may have to transplant when I get to that point, that baby's cold. I would like to mount a big ice maker on one of my ice boxes that I could plug in before I leave for a weekend and fill it up (maybe add a cold plate?) Picture of the box attached. It has a 4" foam top, the sides are thicker I think. *Not a very good picture, but on each side of the door there is a box, about 4' square and 2' tall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0810.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	8639  
Old 11-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
swampu wrote:*I would like to go with the home style appliances but one generator gets 1.7 gallon/hour.
If you have Onan 12kW generators you might want to take another look at that consumption*figure and then look at how much power you will actually use.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #27
Grand Vizier

Paul, I did a bottom up refit of an empty hull like yours. *A lot of what we did is described on the boat's website. *Perhaps some of that information will prove useful, but some decisions may vary depending on how you intend to use the boat and in what climate. *Mississippi is different from Washington State....
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #28
Guru

My brothers and sisters! I have done it, I have finally cranked the genset with the proper control panel, all shutoffs are plugged in and in proper order and man does that baby sound good. Making good water with no smoke. I have to replace the high temp cut off because I shorted it out. Other than that I will be placing a panel box, run some wires and start making power soon. Man the little things sure make you happy sometimes.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #29
Guru

Well Done!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #30
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Congrats! you are seeing progress.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #31
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Progress is always gratifying. Way to go!
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #32
Guru

I gave someone a link to this page and realized I never posted any pictures of my cushions. I got all my cushions back about 6 months ago and now there in the house waiting me to make them a home. Here they are. *These are before fire pictures of the cushions

These are pictures of the "new" cushions.*

Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #33

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: Northstar
Vessel Model: Willard 40

I read with envy you guys that use propane for refrigeration. We have propane for cooking only on Northstar. Here in the PNW,*marine insurance underwriters will not allow use of propane refrigerators. How do you*get around this one?**
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #34
Guru

Ok guys and gals, finally have an update. I got everything running but the port transmission doesn't build up pressure. Well, doing the wrong thing like I always do I yanked the trans. out and had it rebuilt. I chickened out on the install and hired a mechanic to install it and he said I probably wasted my money and the problem was in the pump. Oh well... Good news, sooner or later that babies going to turn. Here are some pictures of the fresh transmission and others as well.

Here are the pictures of the patched and pressure tested starboard side fuel tanks

This is the freshened up area where the tanks will go. I was told to put them on Butal N rubber strips to prevent corrosion in the future, so that's what the black strips are.

This is the picture of the starboard motor all clean and primed. I was going to paint it but the tx. took over priorities.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #35
Guru

VERY nice! Are you gonna paint the tranny?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
VERY nice! Are you gonna paint the tranny?
Oh yea,,,I was in the process of painting both motors and transmissions but the port lost pressure. Well, I talked to the mechanic this morning and he said the pump needs new springs and the bypass valve is has trash in it. Big money=never forget lesson. The pump is in the shop and the transmission is rebuilt. One thing I don't need to worry about for a while.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #37
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Looking good Paul. The lessons that smack the wallet are the ones I never forget either, we all make them.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #38
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwboater View Post
I read with envy you guys that use propane for refrigeration. We have propane for cooking only on Northstar. Here in the PNW,*marine insurance underwriters will not allow use of propane refrigerators. How do you*get around this one?**

I am located in BC. But there are underwriters that do insure LPG fridges here on this coast. As an example Canoe Cove factory installed LPG fridges on lots of there vessels that are still surveyed and insured. Some "accredited surveyors" however cant seem to get there head around such things. Thats more the issue !!!!!!!!!!!

Properly installed there are underwriters insuring such. Just ask someone with an LPG fridge that has insurance.

Just an FYI
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
The lessons that smack the wallet are the ones I never forget either
Well, I got off of the phone with the shop and they said my pump was no good. Bearings shot, shaft pitted...he said it looks like it went underwater. Jeez, I don't even want the next call. I asked if they would put a pump on layaway. I think I'm going to work on the genset that overheats, get my mind off of this debacle.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Well, I got off of the phone with the shop and they said my pump was no good. Bearings shot, shaft pitted...he said it looks like it went underwater. Jeez, I don't even want the next call. I asked if they would put a pump on layaway. I think I'm going to work on the genset that overheats, get my mind off of this debacle.
Hey Paul, we use Hader Industries for reman pumps and hydraulic cylinders. If you want a second price let me know and I can give you contact info. What drives the pump?

Tags
biloxi lugger, cajun rose, rebuild, wooden boat