Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #181
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Aye Capt JB, I don't have the mold yet and might not for a few months. If that isn't a problem I'll make some nonskid for you then.

I got a second coat of POR 15 on the top of the tank. Tomorrow I'll change to white, It's completely covered now.
Attached Thumbnails
20140306_131646 (1).jpg   20140306_131550.jpg  
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #182
Guru

While I'm here, I need to figure out a better sound proofing. That old ceiling tile is crapola.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #183
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
While I'm here, I need to figure out a better sound proofing. That old ceiling tile is crapola.
Try hdv - high density vinyl. It's amazing. There are lots of products but something like this should work extremely well..
http://www.supersoundproofingsales.c...9%2D00004%2D1/
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #184
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
This might be better for an engine room. Don't mind the price. It really is an amazing sound barrier. You won't regret it. It is heavy though.

http://www.supersoundproofingsales.c...003%2DCLASS+A/
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #185
Guru

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if my local marine hardware store has or can get it for me.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #186
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Soundown - The Worldwide Leader in Noise Control Engineering

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:05 AM   #187
Guru

I cut out new plywood for the sub deck and placed them on the boat checking for the fit. It was good and I soaked them with CPES. I'll paint them with epoxy primer and top coat before I install them.

It's moving faster now that I have finished the fuel tank area, While I was here the cabinet in the forward head which is under the deck got a complete refurbishing too. So much easier to do from above too.
Attached Thumbnails
20140318_143633.jpg   20140318_151345.jpg  
Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 AM   #188
Guru

The outer edge of the longer board isn't cut yet. I'll do that today. I also have a deck fill hole to cut for the fuel tank and one of the engine room vent openings.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:28 AM   #189
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
This is good stuff for ER

Sound Insulation - Vinyl Foam Barrier Composite - Soundtec | Fisheries Supply

Great work and enviable persistence and progress!

I had my foredeck replaced about 2 years ago, although I removed all the deck hardware and the teak itself. Previously the PO had someone lift the teak and then re-bed with some black stuff that doesn't harden unless exposed to air. But either it didn't keep out the water or the balsa core was already wet and continued to rot. The only good thing about that was they used square drive screws, and although they had to be cleaned out they came out fairly easy. All 960 of them. I salvaged most of the decking and am recycling into various items.

We cut the top GRP layer off in sections, stripped the balsa core out then ground the lower GRP skin smooth. There were no holes in it so no leaks into cabin. Then laid 1.5 oz CSM in vinylester resin, followed by bedding two layers of 6mm marine ply, ovelapping joints. We glassed over the top with 1.5 oz CSM, 2 x 24 oz woven roving and 2 layers of 1.5 oz matte. This provided a deck of the same thickness as the balsa cored one, enabling us to leave some of the upper GRP layer next to the bulwarks to slot the new deck ply and layup into. Faired with vinylester products and then awlgrip with micro-balloon non-slip.

Some pics: after teak removed,rotten balsa core, work in progress and finish. At some point I'll need to tackle some of the side deck areas, not just yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Foredeck less teak 1.jpg   Foredeck balsa 2.jpg   Foredeck new 7.jpg   Foredeck new 8.jpg   Foredeck new 1.jpg  

Foredeck new 2 sml.jpg  
Old 03-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #190
Guru

I love it!! Thanks for sharing Brian. When I see pride in ownership coupled with great workmanship and top quality products and labor, you can't go wrong.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

I'll soon be there. It's just taking me a lot longer than I planned for. The good news is the weather is holding up and the detail I'm doing was much needed.

Brian, you are the MAN!!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #191
Guru

City: Perth
How's it comin along mate?

Sent from iPad using Trawler App
Old 04-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #192
Guru

A lot has happened since my last posting. I was about to cut a piece of plywood for the top deck piece when a LA Port Police walked by and stopped me. I have had probably 50 cops walk by and never say a word because I use best practices while working. I always vacuum up after cutting and for the most part no sawdust gets in the water.

I'm not picking on short people but this was a very short man with a huge chip on his shoulder. He couldn't find any dust in the water and in fact, there was a gas spill of maybe 50 gallons but the possibility of my sawdust was of most concern to this banty rooster.

He threatened me with a 28,000 fine and said I can't do any work on my boat to haul it out. He said I can't cut on my boat either because sawdust could possibly blow off my boat and in the water. I was almost busting out laughing.

I cleaned up my work area and when he left I cut the boards.

He even emailed the dock master about me. What an ass.

I have proceed down the starboard side and have half of the engine room covered with the subdeck. I have the top deck cut and ready to install within a foot of that as I'm over lapping the joints.
Attached Thumbnails
20140407_143715.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #193
Guru

You can see the old subdeck piece in the picture above. This is the top deck piece ready to be predrilled and set in place. I have to wait till Thursday to do this as we are having a heat wave today and tomorrow and the epoxy sets up too fast on days over 88. I have to cover 32 sq ft of deck with thickened epoxy placing this piece down.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #194
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
LA Port Police? What a waste of skin. When you have made your last cut, make a formal complaint about harassment. I have a friend who was fined for scraping barnacles off a rock on his waterfront property. These are the same Fisheries yahoos who have overseen the decimation of herring, salmon, ground fish, you name it stocks on the West Coast, not to even mention the cod fishery on the east coast. Too many morons paid by taxes. Besides, we all know barnacles are endangered, although if you ever need to find one you could reliably look under my boat.

Think how much good this is doing to your legs, Stretch.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #195
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Go get umm Capthead. We always clean up while we are working also .I just bought a vacum / sander combo and spent a butt load of money for it because I was worried about the same thing. The wife keeps dip net handy for larger stuff. The tools we just donate to the river .
I'm kinda short and I get the short jokes a lot but it's ok . I guy just told me the other day he saw a guy shorter than me but it cost him quarter.
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #196
Guru

I'm getting my walk in for sure. My boat is 1/4 mile from the marina patio where the shop is. I'm carrying the wood up and back for each cut. Two cuts is a mile walk. It is a good thing. lol
Old 04-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #197
Guru

I don't know what it is, but being 6'4" is a magnet to the complex driven. I attract them. Normal people leave me alone and I always have fun with everyone.

I have the sanders with the vacuum attachment too and talking to the tradesmen here, you just have to watch out for the port police. Funny thing is, none of the others say a word.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #198
Guru

I painted the upper most inside hull and stringers with epoxy primer today. I have a day off tomorrow but Thursday I should be able to put the top deck part in place, secure the bulwarks and put a top coat of paint on where I primed today.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #199
Guru

I got another section of top deck installed today. There was a lot of detail work to do and now I'm past the engine room. I already have the top deck pieces cut out and ready to install tomorrow.

The rectangle holes are engine room vents and they will be built up and covered with a clam shell so no water can enter the engine room.

Yes, those aer temporary stanchions and a high polished 1 1/4" stainless is goig back. I'm losing the bronze.
Attached Thumbnails
20140415_142805.jpg  
Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #200
Guru

I'm finally down to my last 8' of teak deck to remove. The end is near for this phase.