Replacing My Teak Deck After 47 Years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They raised it to the deck level that day and all the way dry the next morning.

Found no obvious leak and it's still dry and floating.

On Monday he removed a head and exhaust starboard engine. Tuesday he was pounding on the wet sleeve that had raised by the stuck piston when he turned the engine some. I asked him why are you pounding on that sleeve with a sledge hammer. He's a mechanic I was told. :eek:

The exhaust port is 12" above the water and he left it open. It was dry and floating nice Wed. and my neighbor said at 10:30 that night it was fine.

I have a theory which involves the boat washers Wednesday and tug boat severe wake that suddenly hits on the beam in the middle of the night and can last several long, very long, minutes.

Just came upon this thread. Fascinating read, but it ended rather abruptly! Any progress on the deck work?

Stretch, your fans are wondering where y'at?

A sledge hammer on a wet sleeve. Now I've heard everything.

Thanks for the replies and waking me up. :)
I first want to say we had a very wet winter here and I recorded about 10' of rain. The boat was dry and even with all that rain when I would go aboard and turn on the bilge pump, it would squirt less than a cup in a few days of packing drip. No mold, no wet anything. The deck job is a success.

The problem with the weather besides the obvious is I can't use the epoxy under 70 degrees. I took advantage of the dry boat and the first mate and I stayed on it many long nights. No tools out, (come on you know shop tools), no projects, and that's where i am now.

Secondly, the guy that owns the shop I have access to's father died and that closed that avenue for me for over 6 weeks. He is now starting to get back to a normal life and soon I can go back and do the non skid for the deck. That will be the last part before paint and new stanchions.

I am also trying to build the anchor chain locker and that's going slow. I don't have a pattern and I'm doing a sophisticated wild ass guess on that.

I will be updating and posting.

Cheers!!

I am also trying to build the anchor chain locker and that's going slow. I don't have a pattern and I'm doing a sophisticated wild ass guess on that.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I have heard that one needs a bit of height into an anchor rode locker for the weight of the line/chain to "pull itself down." If your locker is immediately below the windlass, might that cause problems with the "flow" of the rode?

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I have heard that one needs a bit of height into an anchor rode locker for the weight of the line/chain to "pull itself down." If your locker is immediately below the windlass, might that cause problems with the "flow" of the rode?

I realize that and I have hatches I can open so I can pay out the chain and line inside.

I cut a new hole for the hawse pipe a little aft of the original one. I noticed the epoxy gel coat was thick and even and had to share. I hadn't sealed the inside of the port bow bulwark yet because of the wet cold weather we had this year. I am in the process of sanding to wood and sealing it now.

I have to get the new bow cleats installed and then I can remove the anchor platform and rail.

In the pictures of the plug I cut out on the back side you can see the penetrating epoxy had areas where it didn't last under paint.

Attachments

• 20170315_140739.jpg
    20170315_140739.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 20170315_150535.jpg
    20170315_150535.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 20170315_150527.jpg
    20170315_150527.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 20170315_145543.jpg
    20170315_145543.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 158
Now that the hawsepipes are back I won't have to drink myself to sleep any more. What a relief!

I painted the bulwarks, replaced the hawse on all three places and painted the cockpit walls. The floor gets the non skid which I will have next month.

how do you upload videos? I clicked on the browse button in the video box. Selected a video clicked on open and it never uploads.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom