Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #221
Guru
 
Capthead's Avatar
 
City: Long Beach, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 947
I'm back!!!

I bought an epoxy gel coat. Yes epoxy. It is amazing stuff and a real game changer. I started working with it yesterday and I'm on a learning curve but it's straightening out real fast. For one, lets start with the basics.

Fast cure epoxies are brittle and not the strongest The slower the cure the stronger and more flexible they are. This sets up rock hard in 72 hours.

I rolled some on the glass cloth I had laminated to the plywood deck and let it cure over night, the next day I rolled a second coat. It is building up nicely and after my third or fourth coat it will be ready for the next step.

I poured a small amount in a non skid mold for a test sample. It turned out excellent!!

I might just gel coat the entire upper deck-house-fly bridge area with this. It's that high gloss and easy. Just roll it. No tipping. The small foam rollers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gelcoat.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	31744   Click image for larger version

Name:	nonskid.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	31745   Click image for larger version

Name:	shine.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	31746  
__________________
Advertisement

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #222
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14,253
Brand and source for the epoxy gel please....
__________________

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #223
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,455
You're holding back on us Stretch! Anxious to see the final product!
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #224
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,104
Can you give us the source on the non-skid mold or pattern? I looks great!
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #225
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Can you give us the source on the non-skid mold or pattern? I looks great!

I believe early in the thread he said he got it from Nordhavn if I'm not mistaken.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #226
Guru
 
Capthead's Avatar
 
City: Long Beach, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 947
Hey guys, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to answer. I had a drama weekend and had to deal with a cat with cancer I'm trying to save. It really makes me screaming mad when people just drop off sick animals and treat them like trash. These are loving pets. They don't understand.


Back to the product.

I bought from flex mold, actually another division who sells retail, a female mold that has the same non skid pattern as Nordhavn which is their number 103. They sell the mold by the sq ft at $19.00 and a whole sheet is less which is 4' x 12'. I bought a 4' x 5' piece because there isn't and area larger than 5' where I need non skid.

My contact is Rhiannon Moore email
rhiannon@gibcoflexmold.com

They have every brand of boats non skid pattern however 103 happens to be used by more brands than any other and it looks great too.

The epoxy resin was a miracle find for me. I have been searching for gel coat or tinted epoxy and found a southern CA company that has been selling to aerospace and military. His epoxy is in outer space. This gel coat can withstand a temp range from -100 to 100 C. It's stronger than most epoxies, a very slow cure and after it sets up until finally cured, it has flex so it can be applied to a curved deck with my application technique.

I work with the owner, Ray

Welcome to Polymer Composites Inc.

They have videos of their product. They ship worldwide I think. It's amazing stuff.

I'm going to tell these people I posted this so they will be aware of any inquiries and please mention my name. NO, I'm not a sales rep nor do I get any kickback, just simply I am so happy with their products I told them I'd help them get the word out and I hope you mention me, Stretch, when you contact them.

I like the gel coat so much I'm going to gel coat everything from the hull up. It's actually less expensive than LP paint. Sterling, Awlgrip or Alex Seal. The shine is incredible. Just roll it, no tipping. Any sags or runs just sand with 400, 600, and higher, then buff to a shine. It's a dream to work with.

Just get a food scale and weigh accurately or use graduated cups, which I am. AND, don't mix too much at once. I did and lost 8 oz. It's thin and rolls on easy. It covers a lot more than West System which was my mistake.

As I complete more of this project, I'll post with my technique.

Cheers!!
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #227
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
Hey guys, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to answer. I had a drama weekend and had to deal with a cat with cancer I'm trying to save. It really makes me screaming mad when people just drop off sick animals and treat them like trash. These are loving pets. They don't understand.


Back to the product.

.....cut for space.....

As I complete more of this project, I'll post with my technique.

Cheers!!
Thanks for the info...still a few questions if you don't mind...

What's the UV protection? that's usually been the trick with epoxies...any old time project pics they have or something you have personally have seen?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #228
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
....I bought from flex mold, actually another division who sells retail, a female mold that has the same non skid pattern as Nordhavn which is their number 103. They sell the mold by the sq ft at $19.00 and a whole sheet is less which is 4' x 12'. I bought a 4' x 5' piece because there isn't and area larger than 5' where I need non skid.

My contact is Rhiannon Moore email
rhiannon@gibcoflexmold.com
Thanks. Just what I was looking for.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #229
Guru
 
Capthead's Avatar
 
City: Long Beach, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 947
psneeld,

I asked the owner, who is an avid saltwater fisherman and has lots of boater friends, the uV question. His answer is, all epoxies yellow in time and are susceptible to UV damage, This will go about 11 years before any noticable change in color. At that time your options are to recoat or paint.

That works great for me. I hope this answers your question okay.

He has been selling to his boater friends about 12 years from what I gather. Maybe longer.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #230
Guru
 
Capthead's Avatar
 
City: Long Beach, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 947
One last post today. I got an email back from Rhiannon at flex mold. She will gladly help anyone wanting her molds.

Go for it!!
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #231
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
psneeld,

I asked the owner, who is an avid saltwater fisherman and has lots of boater friends, the uV question. His answer is, all epoxies yellow in time and are susceptible to UV damage, This will go about 11 years before any noticable change in color. At that time your options are to recoat or paint.

That works great for me. I hope this answers your question okay.

He has been selling to his boater friends about 12 years from what I gather. Maybe longer.
thanks...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:58 AM   #232
Hospitality Officer
 
Andy G's Avatar
 
City: Pittwater
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,539
Looking forward to seeing the photo's.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #233
Guru
 
Capthead's Avatar
 
City: Long Beach, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 947
I've been busy trying several application methods and found out Home Depot and Lowes quit selling the 6" fine white foam paint rollers. Nobody has them and all I can find is the black ones which are twice if not more as expensive. I tried the fabric rollers but lint is a problem with them so for the top coat, I can't use them.

I'm finding for this product it's probably not necessary to put anything on the bare wood. I think this alone is all you need. I'll continue to lay glass cloth on my deck but as far as the house goes, sanding to wood would be best.

This is a picture of my aft sliding hatch that I applied two coats of white gel coat on with the fabric roller. The picture doesn't give it justice. It is a higher gloss than any LP. I've seen them all. It has something paint doesn't have, Depth.

My friend who is a polyester fanatic is raving over this. I think he is a convert,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxgpe.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	31890   Click image for larger version

Name:	gelcoat.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	31891  
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #234
Guru
 
Capthead's Avatar
 
City: Long Beach, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 947
Sorry about that picture, here is the hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	31892  
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #235
Guru
 
Capthead's Avatar
 
City: Long Beach, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 947
A lot of catching up to do. First, let me say the white epoxy gel coat is kicking my arse. Getting it applied and having no fish eyes is a HUGE problem.

I took my hatch to a friends shop along with my air compressor and a new HVLP gravity fed spray gun. This was supposed to be my answer since Lowes, Home Depot and my other sources have quit selling the "best" quality 3/8" foam paint rollers. They now only sell the fabric 3/8" best and that leaves tiny fabric hairs in the finish no matter what you do. Tape it, vacuum it, shake it, blow it. Nothing keeps it from shedding.

The fact that it's such a slow cure, three days to walk on, it collects dust in the finish because it is tack hard in about 4 hours.

The spraying idea took over a week with the end result I needed a super clean room for that. The fish eyes were whale eyes after spraying and just fine eyes if I rolled it.

My deck is finally laminated with epoxy and heavy fiberglass cloth. This concludes the waterproofing and final strengthening component of this project. I am now starting the fairing and preparation for the non skid which will be gel coat and very possibly not needing painting for many years. This will be the white gel coat over the deck now.


I've come to the conclusion to roll or brush it and buff it out after the three day cure time. Simple as that. I'm going to get dust and fish eyes but they sand and buff out.

Another fact which I was mislead on is, do not recoat until at least a 24 hour cure has happened. I tried a 4 or 5 hour recoat and it went on like glass. Oh man, I was grinning....then as the smile was wide I saw the gel coat turn to cottage cheese and cure like a waffle iron.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #236
Guru
 
Insequent's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,200
well, the hatch looks great so you've nailed it in the end! Thanks for the info.
__________________
Brian
Insequent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #237
Guru
 
Mule's Avatar
 
City: Fort Pierce
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
I've been busy trying several application methods and found out Home Depot and Lowes quit selling the 6" fine white foam paint rollers. Nobody has them and all I can find is the black ones which are twice if not more as expensive. I tried the fabric rollers but lint is a problem with them so for the top coat, I can't use them.

I'm finding for this product it's probably not necessary to put anything on the bare wood. I think this alone is all you need. I'll continue to lay glass cloth on my deck but as far as the house goes, sanding to wood would be best.

This is a picture of my aft sliding hatch that I applied two coats of white gel coat on with the fabric roller. The picture doesn't give it justice. It is a higher gloss than any LP. I've seen them all. It has something paint doesn't have, Depth.

My friend who is a polyester fanatic is raving over this. I think he is a convert,
You are OK, Amazon has a vast selection...hope you kept a wrapper so you know which one u want...
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #238
Guru
 
Capthead's Avatar
 
City: Long Beach, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 947
Time for a followup report;

Yesterday was a rain day here with a total about 1.5" at the boat. I had to go down to pump out my dinghy and runabout. I also went aboard to check on the boat and I was totally amazed!!

The boat was dry. No wet saloon floor. No wet head cabinets. No water anywhere. I have a dry boat and the deck job did it!!!

WOO HOO!!!

Time for a celebratory cocktail.

Cheers!
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #239
Guru
 
Capthead's Avatar
 
City: Long Beach, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 947
I will give an in depth report soon on the epoxy I bought. A quick summation is, it isn't what he said it was.

What it is, a great wood or polyester sealer and sandable to a fine finish, but NOT a permanent gel coat. I think it has to be painted over and can be painted directly with LP top coat. No primer needed.

I'll post more soon.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #240
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
Time for a followup report;

Yesterday was a rain day here with a total about 1.5" at the boat. I had to go down to pump out my dinghy and runabout. I also went aboard to check on the boat and I was totally amazed!!

The boat was dry. No wet saloon floor. No wet head cabinets. No water anywhere. I have a dry boat and the deck job did it!!!

WOO HOO!!!

Time for a celebratory cocktail.

Cheers!

That must have been an awesome feeling. Congratulations. Your boat will thank you, and reward with many more years of service.
__________________

__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012