New life at 114 years old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
This is the Kathryn. 4 years inside a tent getting a complete rebuild and new bottom. A fine example of a Chesapeake Bay Skipjack, she was built in 1901. Rebuilt in the 1950s.

DSCN1324.jpg

DSCN1319.jpg

DSCN1316.jpg

DSCN1322.jpg

DSCN1323.jpg

This is her push boat. While not allowed to have a motor, she may be pushed 3 days a week for oystering. The push boat is about 10' long with a Cummins 6BT 220 HP engine.

DSCN1317.jpg

Back overboard.

DSCN1328.jpg

DSCN1329.jpg

DSCN1330.jpg

Anybody who thinks sailing is cheap, a new set of sails for her is about $20K. :eek:

DSCN1331.jpg

Ted

Part of the Chesapeake Skipjack fleet on the hard last week getting maintenance and bottom paint in preparation for the Labor Day Skipjack races and the start of oyster season in October.

DSCN1325.jpg

DSCN1326.jpg

DSCN1327.jpg

DSCN1314.jpg

Ted

those are fascinating boats. dragging rakes? along the bottom under sail only must be a real challenge.
the crosswise bottom planking always puzzled me but it seems to work and uses much smaller planks.

"Not allowed?"

If her owners wanted to add an engine, I should think they could?

"Not allowed?"

If her owners wanted to add an engine, I should think they could?

Your right, they could. But then they loose their skipjack heritage license which allows them to dredge 150 bushels a day on a sailboat. A work boat is allowed 15 bushels a day, 30 with a second license on the boat. The skipjacks survive because of this heritage exemption. Lasts season, oysters started at $50 per bushel. With a crew of around 6, $7,500 makes a nice days work!

Ted

I love the lines of those Skipjacks. It would be a great day to see them all on the water racing against each other. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Back
Top Bottom