Old 09-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #401

City: Iroquois, ON
Vessel Name: She:Kon
Vessel Model: Bateau TW28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Rick,
After you are done glassing the hull, what do you think the final thickness will be? Will it be thicker below the waterline or same throughout?
Hi J&T

It's a wee bit thicker on the bottom where I used a 33 oz triaxial fiberglass plus the 12 oz.

Working from the inside out on the bottom & assuming a 50/50 glass to resin mix it'd be something like:

10 oz cloth is .017"
12 oz 0/90 is about 0.023"
1708 is 0.029"
1/2" Meranti BS1088 plywood
33 oz triax wetted out is about 0.050"
12 oz 0/90 wetted out is about 0.023"

So total would be somewhere around 0.142" which is something like 9/64". Including the 1/2" core that's a total of 21/32" or 0.640"

The sides are double the inside bottom plus 1/2" core so that's about 0.059" a little over 9/16" thick.

I haven't cut any holes in the hull yet but I'll be able to measure it then.

Doesn't sound like much does it?

The bow area and keel bottom also have an extra layer of multiaxial carbon fiber (Saertex) which I think was 22 oz/yd and probably about 0.035" thick

The transom has 20 oz basalt fabric, 1708 and 9 oz satin weave outside. It has a 1" core and inside will get 1708 plus 12 oz 0/90 and 10 oz plain weave.

All of the seams have at least 4 layers of 6 oz tape plus double the fabric overlapped. I wouldn't even venture a guess how thick they are!
She-Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #402
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. SK. I've been following this thread and marveling at your skill and tenacity. If you hadn't answered so soon I would have guessed your hull was going to be about 10" thick! As it is, she should be a strong but relatively light craft.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
.... As it is, she should be a strong but relatively light craft.
Oh Thank Gawd! I don't think I can afford to put anymore epoxy & fiberglass into this pig!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #404
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Rick,

It's about what I thought it would be. Your use of the carbon fiber is gonna make it a lot stronger than regular weave. And you will most likely build up areas for the thru hulls, bulkheads and such also. Keep at it bud, your making progress.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Rick,

It's about what I thought it would be. Your use of the carbon fiber is gonna make it a lot stronger than regular weave. And you will most likely build up areas for the thru hulls, bulkheads and such also. Keep at it bud, your making progress.
On ole' timer once told me: 'You only realize you're making progress when you start cutting holes in that nice hull you've built!'

The carbon fiber will come in handy if we run into any more submerged picnic tables on the river. Plenty of junk gets washed down the ole' St. Lawrence river especially in the spring. I wish I had more of it but at somewhere around $100 USD sq/yd it was way out of my budget envelope!
Old 09-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #406

Took advantage of much cooler weather today and spent a total of 7 hours sanding the inside of the boat in prep for the next layers of glass.

Sanded from stem to stern and keel bottom to bulwarks. Almost got it all done, just about a half hour left then I'll lay out the glass in the keel tomorrow and get that glued in. I don't have enough epoxy to finish the inside of the boat this year but if I skip the finishing layer for now I'll be able to get the stringers in before I have to call it quits for the year.

More pics and more of me whining on today's web blog updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/long ... -shed.html

Standby....
Old 09-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #407
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
She is moving forward thanks to all of your hard work!! Yea- that epoxy sounds very expensive!!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #408

Box keel port side & bottom glassed & gooped!

Man I'll be happy when I don't have to stick my head in there ever again!

I says; "Honey! I dropped a wrench in the bilge again!"

She says; "No friggin' way, not this time HONEY my ass. Go fish it out your own dam self!"

I says; "Hard to get good crew anymore!"

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/keel ... layer.html

This one's for Ben. When I was telling you this 12 oz stuff was like wet spaghetti? Well this is what happens to it if you catch even one little binding thread!

One great big friggin' mess!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
She is moving forward thanks to all of your hard work!! Yea- that epoxy sounds very expensive!!
Thnx Forky. Appreciate the kind words.

I'd say all in, shipping, handling & taxes etc. I pay about $70 Cdn/gallon. If our dollar was a lil' stronger against the greenback I can get that down to $55/gal. I get my stuff from FLA. If I try to get epoxy here in the quantities I need I end up paying the thieves ab (chandlers) out $115/gallon.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #410
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
I never doubted your word Rick.That frayed edge would drive me bananas.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #411

Another good day in the boat shed. Started about 09:00 and cleaned up the fabric edges from the keel work day before yesterday. I played hookie from the boat shed yesterday. Sanded, vacuumed, wiped & laid out the fabric and it was lunch time. After a wee break got back to it. By 14:30 I was done.

Used about 1-3/4 gallons of epoxy to wet out that strip which is about 28' long by 4' wide. Sort of found my rhythm though working with this stuff. Tomorrow the port sides. I'm not 100% positive I have enough 12 oz glass left. *fingers crossed.

Web log updated with more pics. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/port ... layer.html

Standby...
Old 09-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #412
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
So Rick,you're closing in on laying in stringers.Tell me about those, and when you expect to start on them.I know winter is closing in fast for you.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:53 AM   #413
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Kon View Post
Thanks siestakey. Appreciate the kind words.

Tens unit? Is that like a wrist brace? I wear them every night. Seems to help a bit.
I am not sure of this brand I will ask my wife about what brand is best

The project is looking great

TENS EMS Unit – TENS Muscle Stimulator – EMS TENS Units
Old 09-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
So Rick,you're closing in on laying in stringers.Tell me about those, and when you expect to start on them.I know winter is closing in fast for you.
I dunno. Thinking this weekend maybe. I have to rip some plywood but it's been raining so I can't get the table saw outside to do it.

Winter?
Old 09-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #415

Port side second layer laid down and gooped!

That lil' piece of fiberglass is 15' 6" long and 4' wide! It sucked up almost exactly 1 gallon of epoxy. I'm getting better at my squeegee technique.

I usually mix 1 pt of epoxy at a time but decided to give mixing a quart a shot today. It's nice and mild out, low 70's so I knew there was little chance of it kicking off in the bucket. It worked pretty well. Fewer runs to the sticky stuff machine.

That's two quarts on and two to go.

After about an hour and 20 minutes it's all glued down. The step in the hull where the bulwarks join the hull sides is a real PITA. The wetted out glass wants to slide down the side of the hull and this leaves a 'bridge bubble' in its wake.

I'll be on bubble watch for a few hours till the epoxy decides it wants to hold everything in place! PITA!

So the big question of the day is: Do I have 'nuff 12 oz to do the rest of the port side?

Hmmm? Well I dunno yet. We'll find out soon enough!

Standby....
Old 09-15-2015, 12:22 PM   #416

Yet another big bite outta this whale!

I smell bad. Shower time. There's some more pics & stuff on the blog update: M/V She:Kon: Port sides aft

Standby....
Old 09-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #417
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Great progress. Standing by!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #418

Spent half of yesterday and a lil' more than half today in the shed sanding. Still have to get glass on the transom, back end of the box keel and the bow ahead of the thruster tube. Lots of overlapped fabric edges to be feathered out. I want to put an extra layer of tape along the bottom/keel join. The bottom fabrics weren't wide enough to overlap the sides and the bottom/keel join at the same time. Think I have 'nuff epoxy & off cuts left to get an extra layer of glass on the keel sides and bottom.

Got my butt firmly wedged between the thruster tube & stem to get that pic! Pretty cool I thought!

Few more pics on today's blog updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/coup ... -days.html

Cheers!
Old 09-17-2015, 05:37 PM   #419
Guru

City: gulf coast
indeed it really looks like a boat.

I cant tell but if the keel does not have designed low sump to collect bilge water consider adding one.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #420
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Just think of all the stuff you're going to put in that big empty hull!
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat building, bow shed, she:kon, stitch & glue