Old 06-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #41
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Kon View Post
Hey Eric.

Here's an interesting vid on Youtube of a guy who stretched his sailing cat.

Boatbuilding - How To Add 5 Feet To Your Cruising Catamaran - YouTube
Now I know why I didn't do that to my Albin or Willard. Looks like he stretched his wife to about the limit. Probably WAY beyond the limit for most women... or men. I think stretching a wood boat would be more enjoyable. All that goo and dust and fumes and FG itch and suites and gloves. How are you w all dat? Looks tike your'e fine actually.

About the box keel I figured you'd be putting some heavy things down there and you are. Hate to bring this up but are you water proofing your battery attach cables so the box keel can get flooded w/o trouble? Perhaps your start batt will be higher up. Our keel is filled w concrete and steel punchings. No caged up electrons to get away. I've never flooded a batt. What happens? Probably not much but I would thing a lot of electrons would be going places in a hurry. Warm up your bilge water?
However I suspect that if one dosn't put a lot of weight in a box keel it could have a negative impact on the stability and righting moment of a boat. After you've heeled a few degrees w an empty box keel it would seem to me that the box keel would lifting on the high side of the boat aiding forces that tend to capsize the boat. Does that make sense .. to anybody?

What ever happened to TAD? Haven't seen him for awhile. Probably too busy on his work or/and BoatDesign.net

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #42

City: Iroquois, ON
Vessel Name: She:Kon
Vessel Model: Bateau TW28
Hey Eric

I don't think I'll put the batts down in the keel. If it needs ballast I'll use something inert instead. Not having any idea as to the conditions the batts will have to live in down there I think it's best to keep them higher up and dry.

Some builders have indicated that their 28' versions are a we bit tender in a following sea. Most add weight, 400 or 500 kg of ballast strategically placed usually addresses the worst of it. As well as for hoisting the dink we'll add a conventional mast that'll be able to carry a steadying sail.

Back to the sanding. Standby....

She-Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #43
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Rather than the lack of weight low in the boat stability problems on a following sea can come from side forces on the keel. You've heard of a boat tripping on it's chine to more readily capsize? Well when a boat moves violently sideways any resistance laterally will promote serious rolling movement. Even to the point of capsizing.

Once our boats are boats we have little chance of changing their shape so a low CG may be needed to save the day .. So to speak.

This is one of the wonderful advantages of Sampan cross sections or multi-chine or extremely soft rounded Chines. Keels are probably less likely to cause a capsize than a deep and sharp chine but still may cause some tripping force that may roll the boat in an uncomfortable or scary way or even knock her down.

It would be rather ideal to have the batts down in the keel on your boat Rick. AGM batts as I recall don't need to breath or need fluid added so could be down in the keel (assuming they'd fit). One could make the cable attachment permanent and seal the exposed metal w 5200, truck bed liner goo (or?) and make normal connection to the batt via "pigtails" about 2or 3' long.

This is probably a "before coffee" idea but may just may have merit. Having the batts up higher would seem an opportunity lost. And adding considerably more weight to the boat in the form of ballast would seem a negative too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #44

I'm gonna take this poor kid to the edge of sandinsanity! Got a new helper in the boat shed today. He'll never be right again after this!

Web Log Updated: M/V She:Kon: More hands make light work
Old 07-01-2014, 02:40 AM   #45
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
[QUOTE=She-Kon;245528]Thanks for the kind words Larry. They help.

Not keeping track of hours at all. It's too depressing a statistic in a home built project!

QUOTE]

... here I was thinking I was the only one that thought like that during the building process ... Good to know im not alone

Great work mate! ... keep it up
Old 07-01-2014, 04:35 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
... here I was thinking I was the only one that thought like that during the building process ... Good to know im not alone

Great work mate! ... keep it up
An ole' wise man once told me: "It's a very fine line between genius and insanity." You sir have one foot firmly planted on each side of that line! I'm watching your thread with great interest.

Thanks for looking in.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:31 AM   #47
Guru

LOL

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 07-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #48

Two of us managed to get 5 hrs of sanding in on the keel. A few more hours dealing with little details on the fairing then it's almost ready for epoxy coat then primer. If I were hazard a guess we'll flip this whale over somewhere around the 30th. of this month!
Old 07-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #49

Got dust?

One more go-round on the sides of the keel then some minor detailing and we roll on some epoxy.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #50
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Progress is always a good thing

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #51

Happy Independence Day to our friends south of the border but work goes on in the Big Blue Boat Building Shed. I hope you and your loved ones are all safe from the hurricane.

I put my lil' shop helper to work with yet more sanding on the keel. We're almost there. A few minor spots to fill & fair but that's 'bout it. I'll start sealing it up with a few coats of neat epoxy.

Sunday I'll be shopping for hardware I'll need to get to rig the Gin Pole. 16' long 6"x6" is on order and is what I'll use for the gin pole. Compressive breaking strength is 26,137 lbs. X and Y axis buckling is approx. 1386 psi. My best guess his this hull weights about 1100 lbs tops so I think I've got enough capacity to lift it. I'll use a 2500lb electric winch for lift and a come-along to pull the bottom sideways in the shed. That's the plan anyways.

Web log updated: M/V She:Kon: It may have been
Old 07-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #52

Crude animation of how I think I'll flip the hull using a Gin Pole. A lot of details were left out. I've never made an animation before. It was really clunky doing it in Sketchup. So there's no tag lines or come-a-longs showing etc.

Animation Flipping the Hull - YouTube

Carpal tunnel has been kicking up bad these past two days so I've laid off sanding for a bit. Back at it tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #53
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Once she's done, it will feel your heart of proud and joy only looking at her. Imagine cruisng in.

See when I turn mine right side up!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
Once she's done, it will feel your heart of proud and joy only looking at her. Imagine cruisng in.

See when I turn mine right side up!
Oh man, that's just way too easy! That guy in the yellow shirt sure earned his lunch that day! I saw that video awhile back when I was reading through your thread. I had thought about doing it that way but I can't afford to invest that much in hardware just to turn one boat over.

Thanks for sharing Portuguese. I enjoyed that! Looking forward to seeing yours in the water soon!

Cheers
Old 07-07-2014, 04:16 AM   #55
Guru

Grab a couple of frannas mate. Cost me $350 for them to flip it. took 10 mins. easy as
Old 07-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #56

Quote:
Grab a couple of frannas mate. Cost me $350 for them to flip it. took 10 mins. easy as
I had to google frannas. I thought you were talking about those undocumented democrats they have in the states! I considered a crane but I don't want to have to demolish the shed to flip the hull then have to rebuild it.

I found this blog entry awhile back that got me on the Gin Pole idea.

Boat Yard 26
Old 07-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #57
Guru

New construction: She:Kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Kon View Post
I had to google frannas. I thought you were talking about those undocumented democrats they have in the states! I considered a crane but I don't want to have to demolish the shed to flip the hull then have to rebuild it.

I found this blog entry awhile back that got me on the Gin Pole idea.

Boat Yard 26

Yeah cool. Ya Can't put wheels on the frames and wheel her out, flip her then roll her back in?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 07-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #58

Quote:
Yeah cool. Ya Can't put wheels on the frames and wheel her out, flip her then roll her back in?
I would still have to demolish the front of the shed to do that. I'm all for the path of least resistance and cost! The wife tells me I can squeeze a nickle and make the beaver sh*t!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #59

Ok, you should know by now I'm tight with the sheckles. I'm building this boat totally out of pocket, no money borrowed to do it so I'm being frugal where I can. I have a budget of about $750/month for boat stuff.

So get this. I wanted to order a longer (1 meter) intermediate shaft for my Python drive. Contacted the mfgr in Holland. Cost was very reasonable. 55 and then it ballooned from there! They only accept Electronic Money Transfer bank to bank.

Shaft: 55 - $80.00
Shipping: 80 - $116.25
Bank surcharge: $30.00
EMT: $100.00
Total: 224.51 - $326.25 Cdn

That's almost exactly 4 times the cost of the part! I think I'll have a local machine shop reverse engineer a longer shaft for the Python Drive. Still gonna be spendy but whoever said building a boat was cheap eh?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #60

You'd think in this day and age Banks, who are so very very good and stripping the lint from our pockets would at least be competitive with online services. I sat down at the computer this afternoon and tried 7 different online payment services, Western Union, HyperWallet, Xoom etc. before I landed on Xendpay a UK company that will process the online payment and direct bank account deposit into a company held account.

The others would only let you send money to an individual.

Web Log Updated: M/V She:Kon: Just a weeeeeeee bit of frustration

Tags
boat building, bow shed, she:kon, stitch & glue