Old 07-13-2016, 06:17 AM   #561

City: Iroquois, ON
Vessel Name: She:Kon
Vessel Model: Bateau TW28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAT View Post
Hey rick . I just had a thought. I'm not sure if you have checked into or not. But what about iron filings from an automotive place that does brakes. You could make iron/led ingots. It won't be as heavy as a lead only ingot but it will definitely add to the weight.
Hey BC

The machine shop that's doing my rudder build has an old SS prop shaft from an ancient farm machine. It's about 6" in dia and 13' long. He said he'd cut it up into 1' lengths. Should yield over 1200 lbs. More than I need.

Always looking for options though. You never know when a deal might pop up!

She-Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:21 AM   #562

City: Biloxi,MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Kon View Post
Hey BC

The machine shop that's doing my rudder build has an old SS prop shaft from an ancient farm machine. It's about 6" in dia and 13' long. He said he'd cut it up into 1' lengths. Should yield over 1200 lbs. More than I need.

Always looking for options though. You never know when a deal might pop up!

BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #563
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. SK. GREAT find on the shaft! How about having it cut to the width of your keel cavity and having the axis of the shaft pieces at right angles to the keel? A few wedges to keep the pieces from rolling fore and aft. Looked it up....One foot of 6" SS shaft is about 100lbs.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #564

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Mr. SK. GREAT find on the shaft! How about having it cut to the width of your keel cavity and having the axis of the shaft pieces at right angles to the keel? A few wedges to keep the pieces from rolling fore and aft. Looked it up....One foot of 6" SS shaft is about 100lbs.
It is a good find. I've tucked it away for now. Was up the road a bit this morning and just for laughs checked in at the local metal place. They wanted $2.75/lb for scrap lead. Lead I'd have to smelt down into bars. I'd collect wheel weights before I'd pay that price. Anywho, we're still a couple yrs away from having to make those choices.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:29 AM   #565

Main bulkhead tabbed in. I'll finish it up today. I left about a 3/16" gap all around so the bulkhead isn't touching the hull.

Updated the web log. There's another video but it's looooooong! I mysteriously turned into a Chatty Cathy for some reason!

https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/07/ordinary-day.html
Old 07-16-2016, 06:47 AM   #566
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. SK. Why the gap betwixt the bulkhead and the hull if the bulkhead will be tabbed to the hull and essentially be part of the hull?
Old 07-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #567

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. SK. Why the gap betwixt the bulkhead and the hull if the bulkhead will be tabbed to the hull and essentially be part of the hull?
It's my understanding, from web research and what the other builders/owners out there are telling me that if the bulkhead touches the hull a sharp bang to the hull in or near that spot can lead to stress & spider cracks. The direct connection of the bulkhead to the hull causes a 'hard spot'. By leaving the bulkhead a lil' bit 'proud' of the surface and large taped fillets you spread out the forces over a much larger area and hence less propensity for cracking.

The stringers are 'bedded' in epoxy glue and do not come into direct contact with the hull. I used very large fillets to increase the surface area.

Anywho, that's my understanding of it anyways. I'll do the rest the same way.

Great question! Thanks for posting.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:31 AM   #568
Guru

City: gulf coast
IIRC bulkheads formerly caused hard spots on the hull that eventually showed up on the outside. Builders added some cushioning to spread the load.
IMO just using tabbing to take the load is questionable
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
IIRC bulkheads formerly caused hard spots on the hull that eventually showed up on the outside. Builders added some cushioning to spread the load.
IMO just using tabbing to take the load is questionable
You're absolutely right bayview and the more I wander through the Interwebs researching it the more confused I became. Some advocate leaving a void. Some use high strength structural adhesives, some foam fillers etc.

There won't be any voids in my layup. The bulkheads are not touching the sides or bottom and will have the space taken up by the same epoxy filler I use as glue to make the fillets.

That should distribute any point loading over approx. 2" which is 4 X the width of the panel. Specifications from the designer IIRC are for 3 staggered 6" x 6 oz biax tape. Seeing as this is the main bulkhead dividing the engine space from the accommodations and is approx half way down the hull I'll likely add one extra layer of 8" x 12 oz biax.

I'm mostly 15% to 25% over spec on all my layups so far and these joints won't be any different. The beotch is built like a tank! Of course there's a premium in cost & weight for doing so.

Thanks for looking in. Appreciate the feedback immensely!

Cheers!
Old 07-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #570
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Good update.I never thought about the bulkheads causing hard points and possible future cracking.The couple boats I've helped with where small, and probably weren't subjected to the stress, that a large hull like yours, may encounter.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #571

Took a few days off and went on a lil' road trip to Syracuse NY with the Admiral. She was all hot to trot to get into Hobby Lobby and buy buy buy stuff! I went along if I was allowed in Harbor Freight Tools unsupervised and with no limit on my Credit Card!

Part of the haul from HF.

This lil' trip is usually an annual pilgrimage but it's been a few since we last made the drive. I like their stuff. It's 'good 'nuff' to last the duration of my project.

Back in the shed today. Got the forward edge of the main bulkhead filleted and taped (2 layers so far). Gotta check the instructions to see how many are recommended. I'll add at least 1 more 12 oz 8" tape.

And the stbd side.

It was 32C (90F) in the shed but with all the fans going it was actually pretty comfortable. Had to work quick though, I could feel the epoxy warming up quick in the cup!

Back at it again tomorrow.

Cheers!
Old 07-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #572
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
You were right in my back yard! I hope your visit to central NY was even more magical and wonderful than you'd hoped.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #573
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Cool looking build, I've been reading for awhile but I never commented because I don't have much to offer, really just taking little snippets of knowledge for later. I realized I don't get email updates as you go along. So this should get that rolling. Thanks for the thread. Paul
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #574
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Nice haul, Paul! If you've got to go to Hobby Lobby, you might as well get something out of it. Good negotiation! I gotta remember that one.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #575

Was back at it again today. Got the aft end of the main bulkhead filleted & glued. It ain't coming out now!

Web log udpate: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/07/...ued-taped.html

Stay tuned........
Old 07-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #576

Too hot in the shed and had to bail about 11:00 when it was 34C or about 95F. Did manage to get the port side engine bed covered in basalt fabric. That's done now.

Really really like that basalt. Wish I had a lot more of it. It wets out very easily, drapes and conforms to all kinds of odd shapes. And that's a fairly heavy fabric too at 22 oz/sq yd.

Anywho, bit more nonsense on the web log updated today: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/07/tem ... ising.html

For anyone that's having problems seeing the pics here's the link to the Photobucket folder with all the boat pics: http://s237.photobucket.com/user/Knotty ... t=3&page=1

Time to take the ole' rust bucket for a cruise!

Standby....
Old 07-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #577
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Return to the sauna and get back to work.

Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #578

Feel the Itch and Sand it Anyways!

Cleaning up the detritus from this weeks bulkhead tabbing.

Even hotter in the shed today! 37C when I bailed about 14:00 hrs. Got some tape on the box keel section and the epoxy was kicking off in the cup!

Standby...
Old 07-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #579
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Are you mixing up epoxy in Solo cups?How's that work out?

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:51 AM   #580

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Are you mixing up epoxy in Solo cups?How's that work out?
Perfect! I can pretty much 'guestimate' the proper amount required for a particular job now. They're cheap but unfortunately not reusable. I use three different sizes depending on the job.

All you have to remember is stir for two minutes and remember to scrape the sides and bottom as you stir. For larger jobs I'll use the static mixing nozzles on the Sticky Stuff dispenser and have 1 qt plastic containers to move it to a paint tray.

The bigger the batch you mix the more risk of it going off in the cup!

Tags
boat building, bow shed, she:kon, stitch & glue