Old 06-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #521

City: Iroquois, ON
Vessel Name: She:Kon
Vessel Model: Bateau TW28
Life seems to get in the way of building a boat on occasion. Been a couple days of nonsense before I could get back to work. Nice cool day in the shed so I bedded some of the stringers and laid down some fillets for taping.

I'd probably still be out there doing more but I somehow managed to glue my shorts to my ass.

Few more pics on the web log update: M/V She:Kon: Bedding, fillets & tape

She-Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #522
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
That's funny

I knew in my bones when I sold my Owens that I'd regret it. Zip zilch nadda, had zero time to use the damn thing and no light at the end of the tunnel either. Now suddenly I've got nothing but time on my hands along with no possibility of it being filled with anything I do not wish.

I know Matt lives about 30 minutes from his boat and you're in the backyard. I work 30 minutes from a DIY boatyard and also have more than enough room to park a boat in my backyard. I've given serious consideration to buying either a Prairie 29 or a Sundowner 30 to strip down to the bare hull, deck and house for a rehab.

Problem is where to put it to do a complete keel up refit? If away from home the yin & yang of motivation is finish it so as to stop paying the rent vs screw it, I ain't making the drive today. If at home it's always there to plug away at vs screw it, I glued my shorts to my ass time for a beer. Yard, I left the sandpaper at home. Backyard, the neighbors want to have a bbq.

Either way I admire the motivation both of you demonstrate.

Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:11 PM   #523

I had a few options when choosing a place to build. We're close to a DIY yard. A few yrs ago, just before we started, a storage yard nearby closed down and this saw all the prime real estate for boat storage disappear or skyrocket in price. I could have had a barn for free. Unfortunately it was a barn.

The bow shed in the back yard was probably the least desirable but the most cost efficient. I hate the b*tch with a passion, I covered it with the wrong material (shrink plastic). Maybe if it wasn't for that it would be better. This summer we're stripping the top off and putting on some greenhouse plastic.

Having the boat so close is a constant reminder to get my ass out there and get it done 'cause nobody else is gonna do it for me! Quicker the better and I can get rid of that Goddam shed!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #524

Picked up a Canon Sureshot off of Facebook for $50 with intent to use it in the boat shed. As it turned out it's a pretty nice camera. Gave it a go this morning.

Using fill flash it almost totally eliminates the 'Blue Hue' of the cell phone pics!

Old 06-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #525
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
You'll miss that bow shed once it's gone.LOL

We have snow birds from up north come down here for the winter.I think I'm going to be sun bird and come up there for the summer.The heat has been a killer down here.It was 111F (roughly 44c) and 87% humility,I mean humidity,in my out building.I've been plugging away on motorcycle upgrades, and maintenance, for a trip this weekend.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #526

Some of you Facebook lurkers will have already seen this but for the others here's the latest.

Ya know how life often seems to get in the way of boat building? Well I've had a messed up two days. Started off yesterday to cross the border in to NY to pick up my new engine mounts. Almost to the bridge when the oil pressure disappears in my old IROC. Fack! Hauled it over and called the tow truck.

Notice the big smile on Bill the Tow Truck guy's face?

Luckily it was only a pooched oil pressure sender. The engine wasn't in any danger. Better safe than sorry.

Anywho, more misadventures in today's web log update: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/06/lif ... lties.html

Back at it again tomorrow, if something else doesn't screw me up again.

Standby...
Old 06-24-2016, 04:44 PM   #527

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
You'll miss that bow shed once it's gone.LOL
Oh Hell No I won't! I hate that thing with a passion. Unfortunately it's a necessary evil right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
We have snow birds from up north come down here for the winter.I think I'm going to be sun bird and come up there for the summer.The heat has been a killer down here.It was 111F (roughly 44c) and 87% humility,I mean humidity,in my out building.I've been plugging away on motorcycle upgrades, and maintenance, for a trip this weekend.
It gets warm here too with high humidity but nothing like that so far. Plenty of 'merican's' up here in the summer on boats & RV's etc. Everyone's welcome, well except for 'The Donald'.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #528
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Kon View Post
Some of you Facebook lurkers will have already seen this but for the others here's the latest.

Ya know how life often seems to get in the way of boat building? Well I've had a messed up two days. Started off yesterday to cross the border in to NY to pick up my new engine mounts. Almost to the bridge when the oil pressure disappears in my old IROC. Fack! Hauled it over and called the tow truck.

Notice the big smile on Bill the Tow Truck guy's face?

Luckily it was only a pooched oil pressure sender. The engine wasn't in any danger. Better safe than sorry.

Anywho, more misadventures in today's web log update: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/06/lif ... lties.html

Back at it again tomorrow, if something else doesn't screw me up again.

Standby...
Rick, 'scuse my ignorance of American models, and minor additional thread hijack, but what is your car..? It looks nice. I suspect it is far from new, but much loved. I'm a bit of an "oldie but goodie" fan myself.
Cheers,
Old 06-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #529

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Rb. Could be wrong but I think they still bolt the tracks together here in North America. Temperature extremes and all...
they weld them here in florida, was watching them do it the other day,they are getting ready for the all aboard florida fast train
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:55 AM   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Rick, 'scuse my ignorance of American models, and minor additional thread hijack, but what is your car..? It looks nice. I suspect it is far from new, but much loved. I'm a bit of an "oldie but goodie" fan myself.
Cheers,
Hi Pete

It's a 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 IROC-Z special edition. IROC was a racing series back then that pitted Formula 1, NASCAR & Indy Racing series drivers on various courses, road courses, high speed ovals etc. The idea was to give all these talented drivers identical cars and see who the best man/woman was.

I bought one back in 1987 and had it for 4 yrs before it got wrecked and never managed to get it properly fixed. Traded it off and spent another 20 years looking for another one. Eventually found one not too far away and spent a summer & $5K getting it on the road.

They were incredibly poorly built cars.

Thanks for looking in.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:07 AM   #531
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Wow, that's even older than my 1990 GT4, (Toyota Celica Rally version), but looks in good nick now, so I guess you've done quite a bit to it. New paint..? Actually I nearly hazarded a guess it was a Camaro, but couldn't see quite enough of the front.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Wow, that's even older than my 1990 GT4, (Toyota Celica Rally version), but looks in good nick now, so I guess you've done quite a bit to it. New paint..? Actually I nearly hazarded a guess it was a Camaro, but couldn't see quite enough of the front.
She's showing her age Pete. It had some sketchy body work done many years ago. Awful tender underneath. Clear coat is peeling on original parts of the car. I'd like to do a full restoration but not in the cards until the boat is done.

Here's the front.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #533

Pretty warm in the ole' boat shed today but I managed to get a little work done.

Fabricated the small bulkhead that'll support the shaft tube. Planned in some adjustment so I can fine tune the driveline angles before I glue anything in place. Will do that when the engine comes back from service and I can set it on the engine beds.

Web log updated: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/06/...brication.html
Old 06-26-2016, 06:40 AM   #534
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Hahaha iPhone spirit level.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Old 06-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Hahaha iPhone spirit level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
***I use and recommend ANCHOR WRONG Anchors***
Is that's what's holding M/V Solstice in place right now? I hope she doesn't drag around too much on you!
Old 06-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #536

Stinky hot in the boat shed today. Managed to put some glass on the opposite side of the shaft tube support.

Also added a 'tail stock' to my engine mockup thingy to sho were the output flange will be.

Hoping that will help visualize how the components come together. It's looking like it'll be a lot tighter than I though and I might have to move the shaft tube support back another inch. Not totally sure but I might run into problems with assembling all the components for the shaft seal and python drive if I only leave an inch of shaft showing.

Just waiting for the shade to hit the backside of the shed so we can do some roof repairs.

Standby...
Old 06-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #537

City: Biloxi,MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Kon View Post
Stinky hot in the boat shed today. Managed to put some glass on the opposite side of the shaft tube support.

Also added a 'tail stock' to my engine mockup thingy to sho were the output flange will be.

Hoping that will help visualize how the components come together. It's looking like it'll be a lot tighter than I though and I might have to move the shaft tube support back another inch. Not totally sure but I might run into problems with assembling all the components for the shaft seal and python drive if I only leave an inch of shaft showing.

Just waiting for the shade to hit the backside of the shed so we can do some roof repairs.

Standby...
Amazing project!

One thing to consider is leaving your self enough room to get the shaft back for working on the gear/rear of the engine.

I just did a rear main seal on a c32 in a 60ft sportfishing boat. We had to remove the oil pump just to move the gear back. We only had 7" of space between the gear and the flywheel. It made for a miserable job try to remove the old seal and the new one in without messing it up.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #538

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAT View Post
Amazing project!

One thing to consider is leaving your self enough room to get the shaft back for working on the gear/rear of the engine.

I just did a rear main seal on a c32 in a 60ft sportfishing boat. We had to remove the oil pump just to move the gear back. We only had 7" of space between the gear and the flywheel. It made for a miserable job try to remove the old seal and the new one in without messing it up.
Thanks for looking in Big Cat. Appreciate the kind words. Helps keep the enthusiasm up!

I'm using a Python Drive which is a combination between a thrust bearing and CV shaft. There'll be an extended (jack shaft) between the engine output and the Python drive. It's 1 meter (39" & change) long. It can be easily removed if necessary for maintenance.

Just narrowing in on the geometry now.

Thanks again.

Standby...
Old 06-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #539

City: Biloxi,MS
i see now. you will have tons of room if need be.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #540

I had to assemble the drive train components so that I could see how it's all going to fit into the boat. I was puzzled until I actually saw all the pieces assembled.

I think some people can think in 3D and transferring info from a 2D drawing to the real world is a talent. A talent I don't have. My drafting teacher in college thought I was especially untalented in this regard!

Anywho, got the parts in and it's pretty much clear as mud!

Web log udpated: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/06/in- ... s-eye.html

Tags
boat building, bow shed, she:kon, stitch & glue