Old 09-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #441
Guru

City: gulf coast
CP: Since she has you eating like a caveman she should not be surprised if you behave like one.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #442
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. B. "...Since she has you eating like a caveman she should not be surprised if you behave like one." How would Ms. CP notice the difference?

Old 09-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #443

City: Iroquois, ON
Vessel Name: She:Kon
Vessel Model: Bateau TW28
I am very well behaved. My wife tells me so. Sometimes!

I just need the name of your dance instructor RT!

So......... back to boat building stuff!

I reluctantly hauled my butt into the boat to see the results of yesterday's glass session. Yanked off the peel ply and......

Not too bad. A few small bubbles. In places it looks dry but when you get closer it really isn't. I'm wondering if there was some treatment or sizing on the cloth that turned white when the epoxy hit it. A contaminant maybe.

Spent the rest of the morning splicing the starboard aft sections of stringers together.

Will load these up in the boat tomorrow. They're heavy!

Few more pics & nonsense on the blog update today. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/tran ... ngers.html

Thanks for lookin' in!

Cheers!
She-Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #444
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
That's a good bit of work you got done since I checked in last.On those stingers,will you have limber holes to drain into the center for a bilge pump?I'm trying to imagine this in my noodle.I have seen some boats,that have inboards,have a box that replaces a section of stringers to allow the engine to sit low and also contain any leaks.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:02 PM   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
That's a good bit of work you got done since I checked in last.On those stingers,will you have limber holes to drain into the center for a bilge pump?I'm trying to imagine this in my noodle.I have seen some boats,that have inboards,have a box that replaces a section of stringers to allow the engine to sit low and also contain any leaks.
I've asked the designer about the limber holes. Apparently not. The likelihood of a spill from a tank is more an issue and it should be contained within the frames & stringers. Plan to have a removable stainless tray made to go under the engine to catch drips. There'll be two pumps in the engine compartment. A normal 800 GPH bilge pump and a 4000 GPH crash pump!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #446
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Your plan sounds good to me.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #447

So I'm cleaning up the stringers getting them ready to go in the boat. Spliced together and radius'd the top edge with router. Sanded etc.

I'm thinking to myself. That's always scary! I wonder if I could glass them before I put them in the boat? I've got a ton of that 33 oz triax left to use up. This might be a good opportunity to do just that. One layer and done! I'd peel ply them as well so no sanding later.

Pro's: I can work standing up, One less thing to do on my hands & knees in the boat

Con's: They'll be heavier to move, working outside is iffy if weather comes in

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
Old 09-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #448
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Maybe set up the saw horse inside the boat. Then it's just dropping in place. With my bad back anything done standing is so much better than being on hands and knees.
Have you noticed that as we get older the knees hurt more than just a few years ago? Come to think of it, just about everything hurts more. Still don't have any problems with the 12 oz curls though....Hmmm
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #449
Enigma

Greetings.
Mr. SK. The weather forecast (ya right!) for the next 4 or 5 days in Iroquois, ON is sunny with a 10% to 20% POP. You can always cover at night to minimize dew formation....
Old 09-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #450
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Just a thought but a few glassed in limber holes in the upper section of the stringers may come in handy for anything you don't want to run on the roof. Engine oil changer hose, battery cables, things like that unless of course you are putting down cable trays. It's not so much for now but for those add on's down the road....
Old 09-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #451

I think Crusty's got the ticket there! Move the sawhorses into the boat and do it there! Goddam he's a smart ole' Fella!

Checked the weather after I posted that RT but thanks. You da Man!

I have about 20' of cable trays Dimer. Also will run chase tubes for hyd steering etc. I don't like things screwed to stringers or laying on the bottom of the boat. Everything will be up and away as much as possible.

So thanks fella's appreciate it.

Probably the silliest thing you'll see on the ole' Interwebs today.

Some of you may have already seen this on Facebook this morning. I hit an area with the router where I spliced the two sections of stringer together and there was a lot of epoxy glue that oozed out. I got showered in schmutz!

Go ahead let me have it! I can take all your jokes!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #452
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Just a thought but a few glassed in limber holes in the upper section of the stringers may come in handy for anything you don't want to run on the roof. Engine oil changer hose, battery cables, things like that unless of course you are putting down cable trays. It's not so much for now but for those add on's down the road....
A simple way to 'glass in' the limber holes is to cut short pieces of PVC pipe the thickness of the stringer and epoxy press-fit them in place, then continue glassing. Chamfer the edges so they don't cut the cables, pipes, etc. pulled through them. That will keep out interior rot if you don't get full coverage of the limber holes with glass.

Stru
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #453
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. SK. I can see the schmutz AND the chicken sammiches...Just sayin'...
Old 09-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Mr. SK. I can see the schmutz AND the chicken sammiches...Just sayin'...
Touché!
Old 09-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #455

Got my head back in the bilge again. Today's chore was to put an extra layer of tape along the bottom/keel join.

Nothing spectacular but a few more pics on the blog update today: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/play ... ch-up.html
Old 09-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #456
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Rick,
Do you have any idea how much flotation that keel volume is compared th the rest of the hull?
As I recall you have ballast plans for the keel ....

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Rick,
Do you have any idea how much flotation that keel volume is compared th the rest of the hull?
As I recall you have ballast plans for the keel ....
I have done rough calcs on that since we extended the hull. I'll see if I can dig them up.

Most of the 28' versions that have been built are all light up front. Some carrying as much as 1500 lbs in ballast. I do know off hand the PPI of immersion for the 28 footer is 995 lbs. IIRC when I did the calcs on mine it was 1225 per inch.

I have planned more tankage than most. 110 USG in fuel, 125 USG in water and 62 USG waste/grey water. There's also a 15 USG hot water heater to go in there somewhere too. I still suspect she'll be very light up front.

So far I have 460 lbs of lead. Always have my eye out for more, likely close to another 1000 lbs.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #458

Forgot to say MB that I've also considered putting one of these in the keel.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...4300&id=120943

It should fit right under the engine. I'm not sure about how the heat from the engine might affect it though.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #459

Quick update.

The Stringers are technically 'in the boat'. Not installed but definitely 'in the boat'! Yesterday was a repeat of the day before. I taped the bottom/keel join & the very back end of the box keel. Ended up with a big bubble in the most inaccessible place possible. Right at the bottom at the very back of the keel.

I used the electric hoist to lift them in. They're about 80 lbs each. I could have humped them up the ladder but why bother when you have the equipment to do it for you!

Grinder Time!

Standby.....
Old 09-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #460

There be stringers here! Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/ther ... -here.html

Tags
boat building, bow shed, she:kon, stitch & glue