Old 07-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #301
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ken .. Ben .. Rick,
OK Rick. This is going to be a very efficient boat. Python Drive is a very good idea. That or Aqua Drive or perhaps there are others now. I did a Aqua Drive in my Albin. I had the smallest unit that only had two mounting ears. Four would have saved me lots of alignment grief. No way to adjust up-down pitch so needed to grind washers to assume the right angle as my mounting lay-up wasn't perfect. Need four ears IMO.

That smooth and easy rocker will guide the water back to the surface very gracefully. Wish most trawlers had an afterplane like that. Or even half like that as a SD. Gonna be a very nice boat Rick.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #302

City: Iroquois, ON
Vessel Name: She:Kon
Vessel Model: Bateau TW28
Hi, Ralph here with an update.

My Python drive has the two bolt arrangement. I've heard others having difficulty with alignment. My buddy Del put the same drive in his boat. He ended up building a bracket like this.

Careful construction made alignment easy. I think I'll follow exactly, as much as possible, what he's done.

I've head that some of the TW28's that have been build like to squat in the back end at hull speed. Likely falling into their own wake. One fella put huge trim tabs on his to help lift the stern. Mine will likely react a little different with the hull extension & engine placement being about a 2 feet ahead of it's normal position. We'll see.

Spent a little more time working on the stringers. Got it figured out how I'll join the sections together. Web log updated: M/V She:Kon: Stringers - continued

She-Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #303
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quick work with that router.Would it be stronger to use a thinner but block on each side?It would be a lot larger glue area.I thought the larger the glue area the better,and that's why we cut scarfs for larger stronger glue joints.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #304
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
I've head that some of the TW28's that have been build like to squat in the back end at hull speed. Likely falling into their own wake.

Just means he is going too fast. you have time to research the hull speed myth. Some good discussions here.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #305

Supplies have arrived! Back at it while I can. Humidex says it's supposed to feel like 99F today. By 10:00 it was 90F in the shed so I pulled the pin. The heat I can take. The humidity is a killer!

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/07/supp ... rived.html
Old 07-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #306
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Did you move to the southeast?That's the kind of weather we been having.Upper 90's and high humidity.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #307
Guru

Rick the trick .... is to get it aligned pitch wise perfect when you attach your plywood mount to the boat. In your case you could bolt the plywood mount in place such that you could take it out and slot the bolt holes so the slotted holes would provide some adjustment .. pitch wise. I glassed mine in and it was not good enough in pitch. I used wedge shaped washers that I ground for the occasion. Was a PITA.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Rick the trick .... is to get it aligned pitch wise perfect when you attach your plywood mount to the boat. In your case you could bolt the plywood mount in place such that you could take it out and slot the bolt holes so the slotted holes would provide some adjustment .. pitch wise. I glassed mine in and it was not good enough in pitch. I used wedge shaped washers that I ground for the occasion. Was a PITA.
I see what you mean by having to adjust the pitch pitch now. I had a few ideas. A wedge shaped slot that would accept the thrust plate assy which would allow me to fine tune the plate/shaft angle exactly before gluing it all up. Couple of other ideas too. I know my shaft angle is 8 degs exactly so I can work with that to get very very close. I'll keep the washer idea in the databank should it be necessary.

Thnx. ManyBoats
Old 07-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #309
Guru

City: gulf coast
Google beveled washers. Used in pairs they can form many tapers.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #310
Guru

Something you may not want to know is that alignment may be different when you launch the boat. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #311

Quote:
Something you may not want to know is that alignment may be different when you launch the boat. Good luck.
Oh yeah, I fully expect that to happen. It'll take awhile to get it trimmed out.

I figure a 50 gal cask o' Rum will do nicely ballasting the bugger!
Old 07-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #312

First foray into cutting metal with woodworking tools! Laid out and cut the parts for the skeg.

Circular saw worked amazingly well but it killed my jig saw!

Too friggin' hot to do any epoxy work. Hit 102 yesterday with the humidex. I was out of the shed by 10:30. Had a decent breeze so worked with my new lil' welder on some mods to the dingy trailer.

Lots of pics and a 'non-sanding' video on today's web log update: M/V She:Kon: The Skeg
Old 08-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #313

Bit of welding this morning to finish up temporary bunks on my dingy trailer then started to lay out the thrust plate for the Python Drive.

Not much to look at right now. I have to get a 120 mm hole saw. That should be spendy! Couple of places I think I'll be able to use it later though. The clouds opened up so I had to call it quits.

Yesterday I beveled the edges of the skeg parts that'll get welded. Don't know if I did it right but it's done. I did it with my router.

Had good intentions of getting some fiberglassing done today but my back is kicking up a fuss. Dunno why that is. It's been really good for a couple of months now. Gettin' old suks!
Old 08-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #314

Heat wave has broken so I managed to get some fiberglassing done on the port side bottom panels. Took me three hours to do 20' of it. Sections are about 28" which is about as far as I can reach to squeegee it all out and add the peel ply.

After 1 hour, 3 sections.

After 2 hours, 6 sections

And after 3 hours all 9 sections gooped & peelplied.

I'll finish up the port side tomorrow. I don't like working in the bow much. Gravity keeps pulling me & everything else into the bilge.

Standby...
Old 08-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #315

I got the rest of the port side done up to the bow thruster tube. I'll do the bow tomorrow with the extra heavy duty triaxial glass I have. Figured that's as good a place as any to use it up.

Half way, about an hours worth.

Finished, just in time, two hours work & temps rising! About 85F in the shed right now.

Took off a strip of peel ply to the glass I laid down yesterday. Damn near perfect I'd say!
Old 08-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #316

Checked on my handiwork this morning. OMG The Mother of all Bubbles! Gawdammit!

It's about 12" wide by 10" tall. Cut it out and ground back to good glass.

I'll add another later later for good measure.

Gonna babysit this one though. Make sure no more bubbles creep into the glass.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #317

Bubble update. I went out after about half an hour and the bubble was back! Not quite as big as before but it didn't have all day to form like the last one. I took the peel ply off thinking maybe that's trapping whatever off-gassing is going on. Rolled out the bubble and let it sit. Another half hour later.

It's back again. Same size.

Got the bubble buster out and rolled the crap out of it again!

The epoxy is at the ultra sticky consistency now so this thing should stick down. I'll keep checking every half hour.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #318

Bow section glassed in.

How many more times do I have to do this?

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/08/bow- ... assed.html
Old 08-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #319
Guru

I've been wacht'in.

Think I'll build a plywood boat.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #320

Quote:
Think I'll build a plywood boat.
Do I detect just a weeee bit o'sarcasm in that statement?

Tags
boat building, bow shed, she:kon, stitch & glue