Old 06-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #261

City: Iroquois, ON
Vessel Name: She:Kon
Vessel Model: Bateau TW28
Under intense scrutiny from the Project Manager I was forced to accelerate the program!

Perfect day in the boat shed though. Nice 72 F and slow hardener now! Things moved right along.

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/06/abso ... t-day.html

She-Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #262

Oh no! I think I pulled a beer muscle! Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/06/thin ... uscle.html

Taping the hull bottom to the sides of the box keel. Three hrs of sanding and two hrs of taping, peel plying & squeegeeing! TaDa!

Some of the best tape joinery I've done so far methinks! Didn't pay any attention to the time though. Started at 10 AM and crawled in the house at 15:30. Skipped lunch. Blood sugar must have dropped quiet a bit, got sorta wobbly.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #263

We're makin' some dust now lemme tell ya!

A new WMD added to the arsenal of sanders!

Web log updated: M/V She:Kon: Dusty Fella

Standby.....
Old 06-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #264

Ok, playtime is over. Took the weekend off to go to Montreal and see a Rush concert. It had been 28 yrs since I last saw them live. Knock that one off the bucket list. Now it's back to work!

Made some dust and a little progress.

Not having much fun working in the box keel. Toughing it out though. Made myself a little long handled block sander to reach down into the deep spots. Works pretty well. At least I don't have to stand on my head!

Few more pics on the web log: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/06/play ... -over.html

Cheers
Old 06-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #265
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
HECK YEAH!

https://youtu.be/auLBLk4ibAk

Also good progress.I know it seems like so little.Sanding is always a slow joyless process.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #266

Got digging around in the garden shed to find what fiberglass I had on hand and looky what I found!

It's a motor! Damn! Almost forgot it was in there!

I'm short 12 oz 0/90 fiberglass for the inside so have to get that ordered. Things will slow down a bit till that arrives.

Web log updated with more pics & ramblings etc.: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/06/look ... found.html
Old 07-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #267

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/07/know ... imits.html

Too tired to type anything else.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #268
Guru

That's a lot of work for a few hours by yourself.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #269
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Rick actually it's an engine and a very fine one at that. A 55hp JH I assume. Those soft Yanmar mounts allow a lot of movement. The engine will become sort of a blurr at idle. Yanmar says you need to replace those fairly often. If you have an Aqua Drive the Yanmar mounts work well but other mounts may be better depending on your driveline ... bearings, length and dia of shaft ect. If you have a fixed intermediate bearing close to the gearbox you probably should consider harder mounts. R&D are good. I use Poly Flex. See what Yanmar offers for engine installation guidelines. Oh .. and you may have two different densities on your mounts. The highest number goes where the greatest weight is. Usually the aft mounts that are supporting the beatbox and flywheel. Speaking of gearbox is that a Kanzaki gear? Very noisy if it is.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
A 55hp JH I assume. Those soft Yanmar mounts allow a lot of movement. The engine will become sort of a blurr at idle.... bearings, length and dia of shaft ect. If you have a fixed intermediate bearing close to the gearbox you probably should consider harder mounts. .....Speaking of gearbox is that a Kanzaki gear? Very noisy if it is.
Hi Eric

Yes it's a Kanzaki, KBW20 (2.6:1). The engine, 4JH-TE, came out of a racing yacht in RI with only 300 hrs on it. As near as I can figure it was built in 1989. It will be fully serviced before it goes in the boat. I have to replace the mixing elbow and the only other part that concerns me is the heat exchanger. It'll get all new hoses, belts, impellers & filters.

We'll mount it on a new set of Vetus (K40 which might be a little light) isolation mounts and it'll run into a Python Drive (P60K) CV joint & thrust bearing. Python supplied me with a 1 meter extended shaft to accommodate the stretch in the hull. This will allow us to keep the same driveline geometry suggested by the designer. 1-1/4" Aquamet 22 shaft spinning a Michigan Wheel 18DX13P propeller.

I don't mind a little noise. It reminds you you're alive!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
That's a lot of work for a few hours by yourself.
C'mon over Ben. I have an epoxy roller with your name on it!
Old 07-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #272
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Good progress, Rick. It's starting to look like a monolithic structure. Really nice work.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #273
Guru

Rick,
All sounds well to excellent except the 18x 13 prop. I have much less power (37hp is what Mitsubishi says) and a 2.57-1 gear w an 18 x 13 3 blade prop. Quite sure you'll be well underpropped. And you,v'e got a faster boat. But thosen older Yanmars made their power at 3800rpm so it's possible you won't be far off. Probably be running her about 2800 to 3000rpm.

Some here have access to a prop prediction curve that along w your displacement and speed expectations will probably come closer to what you'll need.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #274
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Kon View Post
C'mon over Ben. I have an epoxy roller with your name on it!

If I were closer.I need some practice to refresh my skillz.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Rick,
All sounds well to excellent except the 18x 13 prop. I have much less power (37hp is what Mitsubishi says) and a 2.57-1 gear w an 18 x 13 3 blade prop. Quite sure you'll be well underpropped. And you,v'e got a faster boat. But thosen older Yanmars made their power at 3800rpm so it's possible you won't be far off. Probably be running her about 2800 to 3000rpm.
Hi Eric

I used the boatdiesel.com calc to give me some idea of what I'd need in a prop. The one we have now we got in a fire sale ($275) so I snatched it up. It's unlikely it'll be ideal but will make a good 'get 'er home' prop should we ding up a screw somewhere.

Here's what I input into the online calc at boatdiesel.

And the calculated results.

This will be my first diesel boat so I'm sure I'll have plenty to learn. I heard these ole' Yammy's like to run at about 3/4 throttle so that'll be somewhere like you said in the 2800 RPM range.

Thanks for looking in. I appreciate all the feedback.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #276
Guru

Ken,
With the soft or gentle curve of the rocker on the bottom you'll probably be able to cruise at 8 or 9 knots on fairly flat water. Your rocker is similar to an early Albin 25. I had one and cruised 8.5 knots w a max of 10.5. Powered by a Yanmar 3HM35F (34hp). I ran 2750rpm. But you're right .. that's a good start. You can increase pitch and as a substitute for pitch you could cup it some.
J
Engines are never "happy". It's best for them to run when they are loaded enough to get nice and toasty warm w a light rather than heavy load and don't get too hot. I think that expression applies to owners that experience a low point of vibration. It's where owners are "happy" .. not engines. With those soft mounts and a stiff hull you may experience little vibration. I had harmonics on my Albin but the annoying vibration may have come from the hull .. indirectly of course.

You've got a very efficient hull bordering on SD. Much like a boat called Handy Billy. Billy has a lot more deadrise than yours though but it has the same style of rocker aft. I think you'll be amazed at your boat's performance.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #277

Sometimes you think you've done everything right. Pre-wetted the surface. Wetted out the back of the fabric. Squeegeed it once. Peel plied and squeegeed again. Just like the books says to do it and it all goes to sh*t!

Bubbles! Frackin' Bubbles. Damn!

That's the worst part. I screwed up. Details in the web log: M/V She:Kon: Tiny Bubbles

I'm going to go soak my head now!
Old 07-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #278
Guru

That is rough.

Say Rick.What your thoughts on stitch and goo for big boats?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
That is rough.

Say Rick.What your thoughts on stitch and goo for big boats?

Wise guy!

I wanted to build in aluminum but it was well above my pay grade.

I'm sure there are bigger boats built using this or similar methods. Would I do it again? NO! But we live and learn.

You can fix pretty much any screw up with enough epoxy & fiberglass!

Spent 2-1/2 hrs grinding my sins away with my new 'Mini WMD'! What a great tool for gobbling up bad fiberglassing!

I have one of these flappy style discs on my 4" grinder and it has a ravenous appetite! The little 2" disc on the die grinder was the perfect tool for grinding out the bubbles. Probably saved me a couple of hours with my head stuck in the keel. A right angle die grinder would have been even easier.

All that above and more gibberish on the web log which I just updated: M/V She:Kon: Mini WMD
Old 07-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #280
Guru

I see you put two and two together with the stiff glass cloth and many bends.I know it sucks,but making more layers with thinner cloth,may help prevent trapped air pockets.I use a 4.5 inch angle grinder.My compressor doesn't have the CFM to power and air hungry air grinder.Have you thought about your choice of bilge coatings?I think now would be a good time to prep for it.What do you think?

Tags
boat building, bow shed, she:kon, stitch & glue