Modifying a sailboat to trawler type cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Durant F

Guru
Vessel Name
Emma B
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32/34
Infamous looper “Capt John” is an advocate of using a sailboat, mast removed, for the most comfortable and economical way to see the loop.
I’d still want a bit of a steadying sail tho...

Cruising America's Great Loop and Inland Waterways

He has a very good site!

Attachments

• 258F07B7-7B64-46E0-8F7D-FB05BDCE5FBD.jpg
    258F07B7-7B64-46E0-8F7D-FB05BDCE5FBD.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 130
Ya know, a decent sail boat with enough space is a legit looper choice, but the idea of being out on deck with these old bones when it’s cold, and then exposed to the sun when it’s hot... constantly in the weather means having either an enclosure or at least a really good dodger. I’ve watched the loopers using sail boats and their limited decks and dungeon interiors on YouTube, ....maybe OK for younger cruisers but I want the choice of an all weather, protected pilothouse.

No argument on the economy of a motoring sailboat though. Her sea worthiness may also come in handy when having rough days on the lakes, albeit with a snappy roll. Air draft with the mast down is a bonus when doing the ICW bridges. Still, less tankage, deeper keel, low to the water vistas and tighter quarters somewhat marginalize its practicality for the loop.

Last edited:
Ya know, a decent sail boat with enough space is a legit looper choice, but the idea of being out on deck with these old bones when it’s cold, and then exposed to the sun when it’s hot... constantly in the weather means having either an enclosure or at least a really good dodger. I’ve watched the loopers using sail boats and their limited decks and dungeon interiors on YouTube, ....maybe OK for younger cruisers but I want the choice of an all weather, protected pilothouse.

No argument on the economy of a motoring sailboat though. She’ll also come in handy on rough days on the lakes. Still, less tankage, deeper keel, low to the water vistas and tighter quarters somewhat marginalize its practicality for the loop.

You are so right...

Tell me something...
I cruise my 31ft trawler during fall in the PNW ... wouldn’t want a sailboat up here this time of year. Love the heated inside helm and views.
I’m a sailor first and keep a sailboat down south.
Why...why can’t they design a cruising trawler that is only capable of the displacement speeds that we cruise at 90% of the time anyway, that’s as fuel efficient as a sailboat?
My Beneteau 423 is a fairly big boat. Forward cabin w head, aft cabin w head, large galley, large main salon etc.
It is easily driven at 6.5 to 7 knots with its Volvo D 55 at 2/3 throttle and about 3/4 gallon per hour.
It goes into wind and chop well
Cant help but think that many of us would love a boat that has room and can cruise all day at that burn rate.

Kinda funny...
As I started this thread, I’m snugly anchored in Squirrel Cove, Desolation Sound in the PNW. It’s rained for the last few days...
I love it here in the off-season as you typically have it all to yourself. This late you may see the odd trawler out cruising but not often.
Just as I pecked out that last reply about being a sailor but not wanting a sailboat out here for fall cruising... as if on cue... in comes about a 36ft sailboat.
Him (I assume) totally exposed at the helm.... her (I assume) up at the bow awaiting instruction when to drop the hook. It’s cool, damp, drizzling and generally miserable.
As stated, im a sailor first... a long term sailor.
But, I’m also in my 60s.
I love my trawler right here right now.
Wouldnt trade at all.

All that said, what about getting a good used sailboat at a bargain price with room to ad a pilot house?
Ecomony and comfort? And...in a seaway with a sail unfurled, much better stability and motion than a rocky trawler. Plus, reduced fuel burn while motor sailing and less noise...
Just a thought.

Attachments

• AE2BCE2A-5F4C-4125-85AD-BBB0C35E16F4.jpg
    AE2BCE2A-5F4C-4125-85AD-BBB0C35E16F4.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
My American Tug is so frugal on the fuel, each time I come in, I have to go to the fuel dock and have them pump out my fuel tanks. LOL

My American Tug is so frugal on the fuel, each time I come in, I have to go to the fuel dock and have them pump out my fuel tanks. LOL

��

Now THAT is what I call frugal!!!

Her sea worthiness may also come in handy when having rough days on the lakes, albeit with a snappy roll. .

Without sails the sea worthiness will not be the same.:eek:
Also w/o mast the keel can be chain sawed off by 50-75%.
No point dragging the weight

As far as weather there is at most a dodger.
So canopy of some sort needs to added.

As far as stability in wakes or beam seas, don't have drink in hand:whistling:

Been a sailor for over 40 years, I wouldn't do it

Greetings,
Mr. DF. Re: Post #5 (last para). All well and good but unless one adds a massive PH, you're still living in a cave down below.

Greetings,
Mr. DF. Re: Post #5 (last para). All well and good but unless one adds a massive PH, you're still living in a cave down below.

Agreed
That’s why they make sawsalls ??

Lost a rig on a monohull once and had a considerable motor back in sloppy conditions.
Bloody thing rolled its ring out.
Weight of mast section alone helps reduce rolling.

Greetings,

Absolutely! Plus there isn’t as much room and no comfortable seating, for example recliners.

Saw a number of sailboats when Looping in 2017. Pretty common to unstep the mast to go across the Erie canal and then restep it to sail the Great Lakes. Then repeat the process for Chicago. Saw several cats with inside helms while Looping. Definitely need an inside helm.

Ted

Last edited:
.... what about getting a good used sailboat at a bargain price with room to ad a pilot house?
Ecomony and comfort? And...in a seaway with a sail unfurled, much better stability and motion than a rocky trawler. Plus, reduced fuel burn while motor sailing and less noise...
Just a thought.

Pretty much what Cardude has now, a 41 ft. Island Packet Motor Sailor, sailboat hull with a trawler pilothouse, motor-sailing sail kit, slightly truncated keel.

Attachments

• 6871D199-9620-4AD9-B610-357BED1F3F99.jpg
    6871D199-9620-4AD9-B610-357BED1F3F99.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 75
Pretty much what Cardude has now, a 41 ft. Island Packet Motor Sailor, sailboat hull with a trawler pilothouse, motor-sailing sail kit, slightly truncated keel.

Yep!
Best of both!!
??

Infamous looper “Capt John” is an advocate of using a sailboat, mast removed, for the most comfortable and economical way to see the loop.
I’d still want a bit of a steadying sail tho...

Cruising America's Great Loop and Inland Waterways

He has a very good site!

Like any experienced cruiser....he has developed a set of opinions that aren't for all.

Google "winnie the poo" trawler. I believe there is expensive info about a sailboat to trawler conversion.

http://trawlerpooh.blogspot.com/2014/02/for-sale-46-efficiency-trawler-winnie.html

Some of the newer sailboats, even cruisers, have a wide and relatively shallow hull with the prop only 1.5' - 2' below the waterline that can cavitate in heavy weather. This isn't an issue under sail of course but something to consider. These newer boats would also be unlikely candidates to buy and start hacking up the deck in the first place but just something to consider. Tacking into the waves doesn't really help in high winds because the healing, even with bare poles, brings the prop closer to the surface. They are simply designed to be sailed when there is wind, (this seems to be a novel concept based on my observations).

...As far as stability in wakes or beam seas, don't have drink in hand:whistling:...

Yup! Other than on protected waters you’d want some type of stabilization such what Cardude did otherwise they’ll roll, a lot. We lived and cruised on sailboat for ten years and talked to few that had lost their masts. The ride was horrible.

We met the guy who bought Bruce Van Saint’s (author of The Thornless Pass to Windward) Shucker. He was on his way to St Martens to put the mast back on.

Greetings,

Some of the older pilothouse Nauticat motorsailers seemed maybe better in that regard... and there was a Larry Ellis motorsailer design called the Northeast 37 (I think)... and Cardude's Island Packet...

But yep, cave living isn't for us, and living outside in some weather (cold, rainy, hot, humid, whatever) with the bugs sorta sucks.

-Chris

I got looking...
Several conversions out there.
Some have nice proportions...
Others...well... who am I to judge.
I’m sure they are all economical to operate.

Attachments

• 4CDD9F0F-6184-45BD-8BC7-043EC6CFBAB9.jpg
    4CDD9F0F-6184-45BD-8BC7-043EC6CFBAB9.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 48
  • CD280F1F-4BF4-4B4A-9F68-94CD009FF8C2.jpg
    CD280F1F-4BF4-4B4A-9F68-94CD009FF8C2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 46
  • 03136763-4A38-4277-846B-275EB635C45F.jpeg
    03136763-4A38-4277-846B-275EB635C45F.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 51
  • CD4AE0D3-A774-4CEF-876B-5A1B9F63FE53.jpg
    CD4AE0D3-A774-4CEF-876B-5A1B9F63FE53.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 51
  • A71D952F-3BEE-4195-B854-3128D033E2E6.jpg
    A71D952F-3BEE-4195-B854-3128D033E2E6.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 8F4C94B5-2091-4276-935E-E29D3FAC07E5.jpeg
    8F4C94B5-2091-4276-935E-E29D3FAC07E5.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Here’s an interesting one w a “raised deck”.

A very clever design IMO. He uses an OB attached to the inside of the boat aft going through the bottom of the hull like a “Sail Drive”.
Once you get over the construction appearance and look at the lines and proportions you see a nice little trawler.

Attachments

• 4A2DFF49-DF7F-4996-9BE8-77DB8504A518.jpeg
    4A2DFF49-DF7F-4996-9BE8-77DB8504A518.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 46
I thought about looping on a sailboat. I'm really glad I didn't. In comparison to a sailboat of similar displacement my Mainship 34 wins on draft, interior space and light, speed on demand, and much better visibility and comfort on the flybridge. All pretty nice for inland waters.

WRT fuel economy, a few years ago I cruised extensively on a Jeanneau Sun Fizz sailboat that had a Perkins 4-108. We always ran at 2200 rpm, made 7.0 knots, and used 2.0 gph. When I started thinking about power boats this was my benchmark, and I wanted comparable economy.

I found with my power boat that by traveling at sailboat speeds I could get comparable fuel economy. For the Loop I averaged 4.4 mpg, which is slightly better than what I observed with the Jeanneau. Average moving speed was 6.7 knots.

I could have doubled fuel consumption per mile by speeding up a few knots in the Mainship. Probably could have halved fuel consumption per mile in the Jeanneau by slowing down 1/2 knot. In any case, I offer this as a counter to Capt John's argument. It's more complicated than that.

Sure, a sailboat may be a little more slippery through the water. But the tradeoff is too high in terms of interior room, draft, deck space, weather protection, ride quality, etc. At a gallon and a half an hour at around 7 mph give me a trawler every time.

If you want a sailboat, buy a sailboat. If you want to go fast, buy a "go fast boat". If you want a trawler, buy a trawler.

pete

A guy in my previous marina took a sailboat, removed the mast, installed a 3 cyl Yanmar diesel and made a very nice river trawler out of it.

L

I love this subject, I've been torn between the advantages of sail and the advantages of trawlers for years. I've owned several sailboats and powerboats and like sailing until the weather makes sitting outside unpleasant or I find living in a cave unappealing. I like powerboats for the room, comfort and visibility but the fuel dock and machinery maintenance expense are a negative. I suppose this is why I'm already exploring removing the flybridge on my Albin 36 and adding sails.

I love this subject, I've been torn between the advantages of sail and the advantages of trawlers for years. I've owned several sailboats and powerboats and like sailing until the weather makes sitting outside unpleasant or I find living in a cave unappealing. I like powerboats for the room, comfort and visibility but the fuel dock and machinery maintenance expense are a negative. I suppose this is why I'm already exploring removing the flybridge on my Albin 36 and adding sails.

Fish, I suspect adding a worthwhile mast to your Albin might be interesting.
For those who sail, I applaud desires and your efforts. I prefer the comforting sounds of a diesel. If that stops, then a good VHF and a tow.

Fish, I suspect adding a worthwhile mast to your Albin might be interesting.
For those who sail, I applaud desires and your efforts. I prefer the comforting sounds of a diesel. If that stops, then a good VHF and a tow.

If it weren't interesting I wouldn't bother to try.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom