Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that I was happy with the rails, I unscrewed them, countersunk the holes added butyl tape and them fastened them off then sikaflexed the screw heads off. In a couple of days once it’s all set, I’ll sand the the sika flat and we’re good.

Attachments

• 9E9486B2-E967-4F35-A1CA-CC5F60BDF830.jpg
    9E9486B2-E967-4F35-A1CA-CC5F60BDF830.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 9B90999C-0C96-4CF3-853C-1715EA94CC65.jpg
    9B90999C-0C96-4CF3-853C-1715EA94CC65.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 123972B7-130B-4DF6-835B-704B34C24EF1.jpg
    123972B7-130B-4DF6-835B-704B34C24EF1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 62
  • CF69C39B-8F00-46EF-9F63-4AE9D780EC41.jpg
    CF69C39B-8F00-46EF-9F63-4AE9D780EC41.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 74
  • B8C1AB56-6506-4CF0-98D8-B388C79EDCE4.jpg
    B8C1AB56-6506-4CF0-98D8-B388C79EDCE4.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Nice and utilitarian but also a good looking rub rail. Black on white has an effect!

If replacement ever needed... not too much problem getting sikaflex out for screw removal?

Nice and utilitarian but also a good looking rub rail. Black on white has an effect!

If replacement ever needed... not too much problem getting sikaflex out for screw removal?

Yeah looks good against the grey mate. The screws are bugle heads so in the event that one day I’ll need to remove them I will dig out the sika and slot in the hex head fitting and back them out.

Being stainless they will probably just snap the shanks anyway so if they need to come out I’ll have bigger things to worry about.

Yeah looks good against the grey mate. The screws are bugle heads so in the event that one day I’ll need to remove them I will dig out the sika and slot in the hex head fitting and back them out.

Being stainless they will probably just snap the shanks anyway so if they need to come out I’ll have bigger things to worry about.

You say "grey". Looks pretty and white on photos I get. Matters not... that beauty is good in any color... pink not so much - LOL :dance:

Hendo....could you give some more info about that rubrail capping material please? PE100 is a type of HDPE that I've seen in pipes but not in a flat section like you have. Would be interested in how it is described/brand/source.
thanks

Hendo....could you give some more info about that rubrail capping material please? PE100 is a type of HDPE that I've seen in pipes but not in a flat section like you have. Would be interested in how it is described/brand/source.
thanks

Ditto. Looks like the black material Nordic Tugs uses for the bow/anchor cap.

thanks

Gday mate. AGRU Australia sell it. They do industrial pipelines and a whole other range of plastic welding and material supplies.

Below is the section that you will find the sheet products.

http://www.agru.com.au/semi-finished-products.html

Gday mate. AGRU Australia sell it. They do industrial pipelines and a whole other range of plastic welding and material supplies.

Below is the section that you will find the sheet products.

Semi Finished Products

21917-albums862-picture5513.jpg

Can I ask how you cut it circular ? blade teeth size ?

Wonder if you could build a boat out of it. :ermm:

Colour contrast in rub rails Realy sets it off. Great job.

PS Love ya horns could pull a Tender or two. :popcorn:
21917-albums862-picture5514.jpg

Last edited:
Compare the pair

Really there is no comparison but thought it would highlight your achievements.
Photos are old pocket camera Instamatic of the 80’s hard copies scanned.

21917-albums862-picture5516.jpg

This was a customised cruiser of sorts Rotto and back mainly from a Cray boat. Not sure a Randall or not but the name certainly rang some bells when I read this thread
Mate of mine brought her and sailed/motored down to Perth from Carnarvon as a cray boat.
Then he with some help from his motley crew of mates slapped this together from whatever he could get his hands on. Some of the windows were from old telephone boxes the STB fwd has the phone emblem. The flybridge well basically built from push bike chain and sprockets running directly down to main helm with sprocket in behind that wheel.
21917-albums862-picture5515.jpg

Not that I am in any way rubbishing this boat . Served her purpose brilliantly moored in Bullcreek there and done Rotto trips again and again plus other jaunts late 80 – early 90’s. We had some never to be forgotten times. Hanging off the Transom is a open wood fireplace with a BBQ plate over it, if you can believe its a fact. By passers would take photo’s.
Ideal for all those crays. I just noticed BBQ modified to the earlie pics probably got burnt knowing this crew.
21917-albums862-picture5517.jpg

George

PS Should this be inappropriate for thread just delete.

Last edited:
PS Should this be inappropriate for thread just delete.

Not at all mate. I loved reading it. The picture of her at the jetty is more or less where solstice will be. Thanks for sharing! Would love to hear more some time!

21917-albums862-picture5513.jpg

Can I ask how you cut it circular ? blade teeth size ?

Wonder if you could build a boat out of it. :ermm:

Colour contrast in rub rails Realy sets it off. Great job.

PS Love ya horns could pull a Tender or two. :popcorn:
21917-albums862-picture5514.jpg

Yeah mate cut it with my makita 7 1/4” circular saw. Funny you should ask about building a boat from it. There is a guy here at the yard doing exactly that! That’s how I got on to finding the material for my rubrails.

Yeah I don’t have a crane so I figured I’d make up a bridle and tow the tender around :)

More rubrails this arvo. I also found this in my bay. No one knows where it came from. Wonder what the reasoning behind it is?

Attachments

• A7035A0D-9EC3-4EF4-AB8B-D32AF67CC0A8.jpg
    A7035A0D-9EC3-4EF4-AB8B-D32AF67CC0A8.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 45
  • 53DF3E6E-3B7C-4DFD-BA6C-E0F6E09EC60F.jpg
    53DF3E6E-3B7C-4DFD-BA6C-E0F6E09EC60F.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 84F81915-4BCE-44C0-86DD-38CA66887089.jpg
    84F81915-4BCE-44C0-86DD-38CA66887089.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 7E01DE76-7832-4FAE-AEAF-10485D1933AE.jpg
    7E01DE76-7832-4FAE-AEAF-10485D1933AE.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 56
We have a good luck ghost that leaves those (dimes) laying around. It would seem that good fortune has been given to you!

Greetings,
Mr. H. OMG! An omen! A US dime. In the first picture of the coin, there is an olive branch (can signify peace or victory), a torch (to illuminate in darkness) and an oak branch (strength). On the obverse, a depiction of Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR). Most famous for guiding the US through the Great Depression by instituting, among other things, the New Deal whereby the nation was "rebuilt".

Really man. An omen. A GOOD omen.

200w.webp

What year were you or Felicity born? 1968 seems to be date on coin.

Cool stuff you are doing on rub rails etc!

Awesome. I’ll give it a polish and stick it in the boat :) thanks for the info. Very much appreciated

Pretty sure it means Solstice wants to come and cruise US waters.

Pretty sure it means Solstice wants to come and cruise US waters.

They'll love San Francisco Bay and it's Delta. I believe it is the largest navigable Delta in the U.S. :dance:

More rubrails this arvo. I also found this in my bay. No one knows where it came from. Wonder what the reasoning behind it is?
The only evidence that I was there. :rofl:

Some one wishing you good luck? In the old days I think they used to step the mainmast
on top of a silver coin!!

You could bankroll your next ultra mega yacht by offering your hull polishing services to the yachties around your area. Keep Soltice on the deck of your next ultra mega yacht as a tender. :thumb:

You could bankroll your next ultra mega yacht by offering your hull polishing services to the yachties around your area. Keep Soltice on the deck of your next ultra mega yacht as a tender. :thumb:

Lol i wouldn’t mind doing that. I had someone come and do a quote to sand and polish it and they wanted $18k so that why I’ve done it myself.

So someone on here said that they could build a boat out of the black plastic PE100 sheets I used for my rubrails. I said there was a guy doing just that near me and here it is. IMG_3986.jpg

Lol i wouldn’t mind doing that. I had someone come and do a quote to sand and polish it and they wanted $18k so that why I’ve done it myself.
18K does seem a bit excessive. I can think of a lot of places to go and fuel to burn for that. You made a wise choice my young friend. I was born in '77. :lol:

18K does seem a bit excessive. I can think of a lot of places to go and fuel to burn for that. You made a wise choice my young friend. I was born in '77. :lol:

Lol yeww!

Yeah mate pretty sure it was a case of “we don’t want to do it”

I’m glad tho because I’ve learnt how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom