Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks mate. Great seeing the ideas in my head coming to life.

Matt me mate... boy, do you ever have that one straight... Great for you and for us all too!! Thank you so much for keeping us aboard!! :dance:

Matt me mate... boy, do you ever have that one straight... Great for you and for us all too!! Thank you so much for keeping us aboard!! :dance:

Thanks for your comments and support. Without everyone getting behind me i doubt I’d have gotten this far.

Thanks mate. Great seeing the ideas in my head coming to life.

Any time you need help to spend YOUR money, I'm sure we can come up with more ideas.
:)
:dance:

As I followed your progress, you can see the end of your project.

This afternoon I screwed off the window shrouds and did a long overdue clean up of the inside of the boat and started to install some stainless grab rails in the cockpit and then put the kitchen in place.

Those white plastic screw caps will be painted the same colour as the vinyl so they don’t stand out and catch your eye.

IMG_3878.jpg
IMG_3879.jpg
IMG_3880.jpg
IMG_3904.jpg
IMG_3905.jpg
IMG_3907.jpg
IMG_3908.jpg
IMG_3909.jpg

Thanks mate. Not to your skill set but it’ll do for me :)

Any news on when you start your boat project?
Sir, your skills are great. I was nowhere close to your level of fit and finish when I got into the upholstery business. It took a while for me to get there too and that was with two others looking over my shoulder and trying to teach me.

Because of my health, I am looking to buy a boat, rather than build, after my son goes into the USAF after high school. Which is coming up in a couple years. I've been on a fact finding mission and looking over boats and options.

Sir, your skills are great. I was nowhere close to your level of fit and finish when I got into the upholstery business. It took a while for me to get there too and that was with two others looking over my shoulder and trying to teach me.

Because of my health, I am looking to buy a boat, rather than build, after my son goes into the USAF after high school. Which is coming up in a couple years. I've been on a fact finding mission and looking over boats and options.

Ah roger roger. Any front runners ?

Find a well cared for Tollycraft. Them relax... well sort of - LOL
:thumb:
They are on my radar. Draft above and below the water line will be the determining factor as I want to explore the Great Loop including Canada. I don't want to limit myself while looping. That was my reason for wanting to build the boat in my avatar, but build the 30-foot version with the V entry bow and long cabin. The draft would have been roughly 1 foot with the stern drive up and an air draft of around 8 foot with the radar arch folded down.

Last edited:
:thumb:
They are on my radar. Draft above and below the water line will be the determining factor as I want to explore the Great Loop including Canada. I don't want to limit myself while looping. That was my reason for wanting to build the boat in my avatar, but build the 30-foot version with the V entry bow and long cabin. The draft would have been roughly 1 foot with the stern drive up and an air draft of around 8 foot with the radar arch folded down.

Water draft is 2'10" on our 34' 1977 Tolly tri cabin twin screw... built like a tank and easy to run slow [if desired - 4.5 to 5 knots] on one engine for right at 3 nmpg in slack tide. Play the currents right and considerably more mpg O/L can be established. Play em wrong and a fatter wallet becomes required.

She's well waterborne equipped and living-appointed, great comfort with most all home appliances... except dish and cloths washers. Fresh water maker could be added. 200 gal fuel tanks [gasoline here]. 77 gal freshwater, 30 gal black water holding tank on one head / electro san on other

Her sky height is 12'6" including fly bridge. There are older, very affordable Tollycraft with hardtop /no fly bridge. Their water draft is a bit less to. Fly bridge could pretty easily be taken off ours. I'd bet that would drop air height to 9' +/-.

Yacht world Tolly ads: https://www.yachtworld.com/core/lis...pid=&rid=&cint=&pbsint=&boatsAddedSelected=-1

Happy Boat Search Daze! :thumb: - Art :speed boat:

Water draft is 2'10" on our 34' 1977 Tolly tri cabin twin screw... built like a tank and easy to run slow [if desired - 4.5 to 5 knots] on one engine for right at 3 nmpg in slack tide. Play the currents right and considerably more mpg O/L can be established. Play em wrong and a fatter wallet becomes required.

She's well waterborne equipped and living-appointed, great comfort with most all home appliances... except dish and cloths washers. Fresh water maker could be added. 200 gal fuel tanks [gasoline here]. 77 gal freshwater, 30 gal black water holding tank on one head / electro san on other

Her sky height is 12'6" including fly bridge. There are older, very affordable Tollycraft with hardtop /no fly bridge. Their water draft is a bit less to. Fly bridge could pretty easily be taken off ours. I'd bet that would drop air height to 9' +/-.

Yacht world Tolly ads: https://www.yachtworld.com/core/lis...pid=&rid=&cint=&pbsint=&boatsAddedSelected=-1

The office

Let's start with the basics.
Where will your primary of operation?
How many staterooms and heads do you want?
You indicated you desire 2 gasoline engines?
Tell us about your desired galley equipment?

As I see it and I think other will agree, 1 stateroom, 1 head will fit comfortably in a mid 30 OAL boat nicely. Storage will be limited. Now if you up the OAL to the early 40 foot length, my first observation is, you may find it difficult to find it difficult to find a 2 engine gasoline boat. Something 'magical' happens with you cross the 40ft length. So many boats will be diesel powered rather than gasoline powered.
Once to start choosing your galley equipment you can begin choosing your generator size. Again, you want that to be gasoline powered too? I assume you will want at least 1 reverse cycle A/C. Are you going to supplement the 'reverse' with l or 2 movable electric heaters? That figures into the generator size. Then stove can be LP operated. Refrigerator? I suggests a 12vt system. Water maker, 12vt. Add in a couple of solar panels to pump up the house batteries. # of house batteries? At least 2 house batteries and one start battery per engine.
I am pretty sure you can fit all this into a mid 30 ft OAL if you are content with 1 stateroom, 1 head and a wet head. Adding in the 2nd engine will limit the 'free space' in the engine room and increase the weight thereby reducing the range of the boat between refuelings

Sounds like a 32’ GB without a flybridge is the answer! Wish I had one.

Mate,

I haven’t checked in on your build lately, but have been following. As far as I can see you’re building a new boat with a higher fit & finish than most custom builders. Would love to be around for the splash.

Cheers

Mate,

I haven’t checked in on your build lately, but have been following. As far as I can see you’re building a new boat with a higher fit & finish than most custom builders. Would love to be around for the splash.

Cheers

Thanks fro checking in mate. Great to hear from you :).

Hope you’re well buddy

Sorry for the thread drift Matt. :flowers:

Art and OldDan, I'll whip up a thread with what I know I need and what I think I want. I'll post a link. :thumb:

Let's start with the basics.
Where will your primary of operation?
How many staterooms and heads do you want?
You indicated you desire 2 gasoline engines?
Tell us about your desired galley equipment?

As I see it and I think other will agree, 1 stateroom, 1 head will fit comfortably in a mid 30 OAL boat nicely. Storage will be limited. Now if you up the OAL to the early 40 foot length, my first observation is, you may find it difficult to find it difficult to find a 2 engine gasoline boat. Something 'magical' happens with you cross the 40ft length. So many boats will be diesel powered rather than gasoline powered.
Once to start choosing your galley equipment you can begin choosing your generator size. Again, you want that to be gasoline powered too? I assume you will want at least 1 reverse cycle A/C. Are you going to supplement the 'reverse' with l or 2 movable electric heaters? That figures into the generator size. Then stove can be LP operated. Refrigerator? I suggests a 12vt system. Water maker, 12vt. Add in a couple of solar panels to pump up the house batteries. # of house batteries? At least 2 house batteries and one start battery per engine.
I am pretty sure you can fit all this into a mid 30 ft OAL if you are content with 1 stateroom, 1 head and a wet head. Adding in the 2nd engine will limit the 'free space' in the engine room and increase the weight thereby reducing the range of the boat between refuelings

I too apologize... for thread drift - Matt!!

Ben - looking forward to your thread where we all can help you choose a boat.

Maybe Matt will sell you his... when he takes on his next boat restoration/complete-rebuild!

Back
Top Bottom