Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. H. Good grief! That ER is SO clean you won't want to run the engine for fear of getting it dirty. VERY nice!

Yeah I’m a bit OCD when it comes to cleanliness. I’ll give it a final clean then glue down the rubber then touch up the paint and I’m done in there except for the plumbing

One major advantage when you have the skills and patience to 'rebuild' you own boat is, you know where the wire runs and water runs and diesel runs are.

Yeah I know my girl inside and out that’s for sure. Just need to learn her sounds once she’s splashed

This afternoon I finished off the week by gluing down the rubber to the engine room floor.

IMG_2452.jpg
IMG_2453.jpg
IMG_2454.jpg
IMG_2455.jpg
IMG_2456.jpg

Did you check the flash point and toxicity of the rubber?

I’ve cut the rubber outside the engine beds and the two front sections have no rubber at all.

With a bit of luck I won’t have much oil outside of those areas. Maybe naive but time will tell. If not it’s just another reason for my OCD tendencies to keep a clean bilge

IMG_2406.jpg

Linda and I've been out n' about at/on "The Office" for 4 days. Missed your posts... till now. Keep on keepen on!!! :thumb:

Your pal Art :D

Attachments

• TO - Transom in Tules 100_0432.jpg
    TO - Transom in Tules 100_0432.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Another week and more jobs ticked off the list. I installed a weatherproof Powerpoint in the engine room for any 240v appliances like grinders or drills or welders that I may need over the course of the vessels lifetime. Saves me running a lead from the cabin. Once that was done I started cutting in the PowerPoints in the kitchen and I did the one up on the dash then I locked the boat up and did a little clean up and rearranging of the desks I put in a few months ago. Rain is blowing in from the opening I left for the paint fumes making things rusty and yuk so I’m fixing that before more rain comes. That was it for today tho. Back into tomorrow.

IMG_2480.jpg
IMG_2476.jpg
IMG_2477.jpg
IMG_2479.jpg

Fantastic progress. Soon, you will run out of things to do and have to put it in water and go for a ride.

Hey man your plugs all funny looking, lol. Looks good, what kind of fire suppression you going with, ive got to build some bulkheads before I can mount fixed units

Ahh, I’m a tard . I just looked at ur last picture, question answered

Greetings,
Mr, H. Wonderful idea of power in the ER! Nothing worse than extension cords strung thither and yon just waiting to be tripped over (DON'T ask me how I know). About the ONLY comment I can make is about the placement of your fire extinguisher...

Just a guess, but I would think that a fair number of fires initiate in the ER. A fire extinguisher IN the ER might be inaccessible in the event of an event. I'm sure you have multiple extinguishers and my comment may be rendered moot.

Ticking items off the list... Go Matt GO!

BTW, as RT implies - Never too many fire extinguishers on hand, dispersed in easily accessible locations if/when/maybe/could-be/might-be, and hopefully never will be needed.

Last edited:
Okay, suggestions.
Auto fire extinguisher in ER that shuts down ME and Gen(if you have one in ER)
At least one fire extinguisher just outside the entrance of each compartment/area. Plus one inside the berthing space.
In my ER, I had installed, 120vt GFI outlet, 12vt outlet, (at least 1 foot above the waterline), FW spigot, for washing the ER/bilge.
One bilge pump in each bilge with separate overboard of each. (For some reason, it seems all bilge pump overboard are always discharging to the same side of the boat. Mine, alternate Port and Starboard because the discharge pressure is not really great and "we" don't know which way the boat will roll if it takes on water.
I have one additional 12vt bilge pump with a long discharge hose that can be moved between compartments hence the 12vt in each compartment.

Guess I just a bit paranoid. SHRUG

Last edited:
Okay, suggestions.
Auto fire extinguisher in ER that shuts down ME and Gen(if you have one in ER)
At least one fire extinguisher just outside the entrance of each compartment/area. Plus one inside the berthing space.
In my ER, I had installed, 120vt GFI outlet, 12vt outlet, (at least 1 foot above the waterline), FW spigot, for washing the ER/bilge.
One bilge pump in each bilge with separate overboard of each. (For some reason, it seems all bilge pump overboard are always discharging to the same side of the boat. Mine, alternate Port and Starboard because the discharge pressure is not really great and "we" don't know which way the boat will roll if it takes on water.
I have one additional 12vt bilge pump with a long discharge hose that can be moved between compartments hence the 12vt in each compartment.

Guess I just a bit paranoid. SHRUG

I like the narrative around the bilge. I’ve never thought of alternating the discharge locations. I have three electric high flow pumps and will have one manual one. If that fails I’m steering towards the bank and will beach her.

What are your thoughts on running a ‘T’ section at the pump then running discharge ports on both sides?

I like the narrative around the bilge. I’ve never thought of alternating the discharge locations. I have three electric high flow pumps and will have one manual one. If that fails I’m steering towards the bank and will beach her.

What are your thoughts on running a ‘T’ section at the pump then running discharge ports on both sides?

To my understanding, that's a bad idea. You want a direct run for each bilge pump, no T's, no hose clamps..... straight from the pump outlet to the hull over board. If one discharge is under water, the bilge pump may not be able to overcome the pressure of the incoming water pressure of the down side. Same thinking about putting a check valve in the bilge pump overboard, dont do it. The check valve might get stuck closed and then you are minus one bilge pump.

To my understanding, that's a bad idea. You want a direct run for each bilge pump, no T's, no hose clamps..... straight from the pump outlet to the hull over board. If one discharge is under water, the bilge pump may not be able to overcome the pressure of the incoming water pressure of the down side. Same thinking about putting a check valve in the bilge pump overboard, dont do it. The check valve might get stuck closed and then you are minus one bilge pump.

Oh Ok. I was going to put check valves in. Will do more research on that now. Thanks for the heads up.

Dan,
The outlet out of the water will be lower back pressure than the inlet to the “T” as I see it. A roughly centered T should be fine or better IMO. Perhaps I’m missing something?

Matt my mate

Talking bilge pumps and heading to shore to beach her if all else fails... makes me bring up a thorny question...

Do you know a really good marine surveyor who can/will give SOLSTICE the golden review she deserves - for insurance purposes that is?

Happy Boat Daze! Art

Matt my mate

Talking bilge pumps and heading to shore to beach her if all else fails... makes me bring up a thorny question...

Do you know a really good marine surveyor who can/will give SOLSTICE the golden review she deserves - for insurance purposes that is?

Happy Boat Daze! Art

Hey brother!

SOLSTICE has had a marine Surveyor look at her a couple of years ago. He said she was over engineered and very strong

I will need to have her surveyed again and valued once it’s all done to make sure she meets seaworthiness requirements and compliant.

Hey brother!

SOLSTICE has had a marine Surveyor look at her a couple of years ago. He said she was over engineered and very strong

I will need to have her surveyed and valued once it’s all done to make sure she is set worthy and compliant.

That's really GOOD to hear!!! Yeah!!!! :thumb:

The only thing he said was that I should have put in a bow thruster because she has big flat sides and will make dicking hard. He used more marine terms than that but that was the gist of it.

Forgot to up date yesterday. I temporarily wired up the reminder of the PowerPoints for the electrician and the electrical test certificate next Wednesday. Once the testing is all done I’ll be able to tidy up and wrap up all of the wiring and finally put it all in it’s final location including in the engine room. After the PowerPoints I rearranged the boat shed and had a little clean up.

IMG_2491.jpg
IMG_2492.jpg
IMG_2493.jpg
IMG_2488.jpg
IMG_2487.jpg
IMG_2489.jpg

We will know you are finished when you disassemble the boat shed.
Right now, you are cleaning up and straightening up for the next stage.
Considering your starting point, currently, you are almost finished.
Onward through the next stage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom