Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Matt

Until you get SOLSTICE splashed... Can you hang a small light bulb [say 15 watts left on 24/7] anywhere near in back of the gauges? That warmth would likely take care of moisture intrusion.

The boat is at lock up. The fogging started when the lights were switched on. I am swapping them out with LED. The heat will be far less coupled with the vents I cut in should be fine. Just waiting on the delivery from eBay to arrive so I can test. If it works it’ll be $9 well spent :)

The boat is at lock up. The fogging started when the lights were switched on. I am swapping them out with LED. The heat will be far less coupled with the vents I cut in should be fine. Just waiting on the delivery from eBay to arrive so I can test. If it works it’ll be $9 well spent :)

Good plan!

I just can’t believe fogging gauges are an accepted norm. I’m going to make liquid filled marine ones, sell them and become rich. Who’s in ?!! Lol

Design something unusual and extremely inviting to boaters for making them want to [actually feel they need to] spend "big bucks" money... for owning your liquid filled gauges. Then patent it! I may come in!

Basically - Make your gauges a "Must Have Item" in the minds of a large %age of boaters in both the pleasure and working boating community. :dance:

I've got faith in your design/creation capabilities!!! :D :thumb:

No I mean who’s in to help make them lol. Not who’s in to make me rich haha. Y’all my friends. I don’t want ya $$$

Greetings,
Mr. H. Perhaps a better solution for foggy gauges would be hermetically sealed, inert gas filled units.

Greetings,
Mr. H. Just had another thought...Rather than re-inventing the wheel, what about a small capsule type device, filled with a desiccant that a foggy gauge owner could temporarily "plug" into the light hole to dry damp gauges. Capsules could be "rejuvenated" in a warm oven when necessary. Taper a rubber plug to be a universal fit for all sizes...

Greetings,
Mr. H. Just had another thought...Rather than re-inventing the wheel, what about a small capsule type device, filled with a desiccant that a foggy gauge owner could temporarily "plug" into the light hole to dry damp gauges. Capsules could be "rejuvenated" in a warm oven when necessary. Taper a rubber plug to be a universal fit for all sizes...

Nice. Like one of those moisture arresting things that go in the wardrobe to protect clothes.

Greetings,
Mr. H. Yup. Pretty well but very small to fit behind a dashboard without removing the gauge. Pull out the bulb and smush the tapered plug into the hole and wait a bit. MUCH easier and cheaper to manufacture. Not hard to include a moisture sensitive indicator to signal "rejuvenation" time...

Greetings,
Mr. H. Yup. Pretty well but very small to fit behind a dashboard without removing the gauge. Pull out the bulb and smush the tapered plug into the hole and wait a bit. MUCH easier and cheaper to manufacture. Not hard to include a moisture sensitive indicator to signal "rejuvenation" time...

You’re an ideas man

Design something unusual and extremely inviting to boaters for making them want to [actually feel they need to] spend "big bucks" money... for owning your liquid filled gauges. Then patent it! I may come in!

Basically - Make your gauges a "Must Have Item" in the minds of a large %age of boaters in both the pleasure and working boating community. :dance:

I've got faith in your design/creation capabilities!!! :D :thumb:

Must have.

The fluid in fluid-filled gauges dampens the movement and severely reduces vibrational inaccuracies which makes them more accurate. :thumb:

Greetings,
Re: Post #4093 (above). "...fluid-filled gauges dampens the movement...". Exactly BUT how many dash board gauges actually vibrate making them difficult to read? I've never seen any. Accuracy? I would think this would be determined by the quality of the gauge rather than any dampening effect oil would have in a non vibrational environment.

This is why I questioned Mr. H's suggestion of fluid filled gauges. Yes, it would eliminate the fogging but overkill IMO to eliminate the problem.

Greetings,
Re: Post #4093 (above). "...fluid-filled gauges dampens the movement...". Exactly BUT how many dash board gauges actually vibrate making them difficult to read? I've never seen any. Accuracy? I would think this would be determined by the quality of the gauge rather than any dampening effect oil would have in a non vibrational environment.

This is why I questioned Mr. H's suggestion of fluid filled gauges. Yes, it would eliminate the fogging but overkill IMO to eliminate the problem.
And important point, most of liquid filled gauge have a low temp point of -10C what makes them not an option up here.

L

My $9 red eBay LED’s arrived today. Love the look.

IMG_2237.jpg
IMG_2276.jpg

Be very cautious, last guy who played with these little red things got some troubles, the model he used was this one:

220px-HAL9000.svg.png

L

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. H. The reference is to the HAL 9000 computer from the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey. It went rogue and did nasty things to the crew...I would suggest you watch the movie at some point but with your schedule,I doubt you could find the 1.5 hours necessary to put aside in your 28 hour days...

Greetings,
Mr. H. The reference is to the HAL 9000 computer from the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey. It went rogue and did nasty things to the crew...I would suggest you watch the movie at some point but with your schedule,I doubt you could find the 1.5 hours necessary to put aside in your 28 hour days...

Ah ok lol cool. I’ll try and remember that when the boat is done and I’m sitting on the mooring :)

It’s definitely worth the time. Great movie. I like the sequel a lot too.

Okie dokie I’m back after a week and a bit off. Had a nice break away from the boat but today I got back into it with final trimming and fitment of the rubber in the engine room. I had some left over so I did the tops of the battery boxes which also now doubles as a seat for me when I’m playing diesel fitter. Now tools won’t go sliding off when I’m servicing or fixing things. Once that was done I ran 2 of the exposed 240v wiring circuit cables in some conduit and screwed it up into position via saddles. Bit of extra protection goes along way. Especially around 240v. That and I’m pretty sure it won’t pass the electrical certification tests with that off so best do it now just in case. That’s it for today. ??

IMG_2409.jpg
IMG_2408.jpg
IMG_2407.jpg
IMG_2405.jpg
IMG_2410.jpg
IMG_2404.jpg
IMG_2402.jpg

Matt, when you splash the boat go by one of these, IMG_1036.jpg
It’s a zip it, I’ve pulled lots of crap out of my generator thru hull using this.

One major advantage when you have the skills and patience to 'rebuild' you own boat is, you know where the wire runs and water runs and diesel runs are.

Greetings,
Mr. H. Good grief! That ER is SO clean you won't want to run the engine for fear of getting it dirty. VERY nice!

Matt mate! Damn good to hear you actually took some time off! God knows you deserve it. :thumb:

Oh Oh... you feel need to pad the engine room in rubber??? Ya know what they say about putting people in "rubber padded" rooms. LOL Jus kidden!!

What a clean, orderly operation you have constructed under the sole... Hope get chance for a documentary video of it all while it's still in virgin condition before SPLASH.

Cheers - - > Art :D

Matt mate! Damn good to hear you actually took some time off! God knows you deserve it. :thumb:

Oh Oh... you feel need to pad the engine room in rubber??? Ya know what they say about putting people in "rubber padded" rooms. LOL Jus kidden!!

What a clean, orderly operation you have constructed under the sole... Hope get chance for a documentary video of it all while it's still in virgin condition before SPLASH.

Cheers - - > Art :D

You want me to make a video of the engine room for you? I can do that if you want ? :)

Back
Top Bottom