Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First post and after reading all 175 pages over the last few days i can only one thing.
Simply amazing the time and effort you've put in are quality. literally shedding blood sweat and tears for your project so I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labour as much as you have building her.
Looking forward to another 175 pages. Great work not just on her but all the other projects too.

First post and after reading all 175 pages over the last few days i can only one thing.
Simply amazing the time and effort you've put in are quality. literally shedding blood sweat and tears for your project so I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labour as much as you have building her.
Looking forward to another 175 pages. Great work not just on her but all the other projects too.

Gday Wayner

Thanks for you post. All 175 pages of the good the bad and the ugly hey haha. Thanks for message of support and look forward to you sticking around ;-)

Broke my right pinky finger at work on Saturday so it’s a bit hard to do too much atm but I managed to get the fresh water hose chased through the wall and down into the engine room. I bought the wrong bloody size clamps so need to go back tomorrow and exchange them for a smaller size then I can tighten the hose, lift the hose and fix it in place, fill the tank, check for leaks around my welds and strap it down, then it’s over to the diesel tank.

On Sunday I was pottering around the garage having a clean up getting ready to start to bring home some tools and equipment that I’m not using at the boat anymore and I found 3mtrs of marine exhaust hose that I bought it a few years ago. It was intended for a genset I was going to fit but decided against it.

Anyway Instead tossing it I run a 9inch angle grinder through the centre of one side and opened it up to form a channel that I slipped over the bearers for the water and diesel tanks and screwed it in place.

Saved me buying rubber specifically for that purpose bit of an over kill but meh; waste not want not lol.

And to finish off the afternoon I began fixing the hydraulic steering lines in place.

See you guys tomorrow.

IMG_9307.jpg
IMG_9308.jpg
IMG_9309.jpg
IMG_9310.jpg

Matt buddy... sorry to hear of your pinky finger. Hope not on your primary hand??

And, you going to have a gen set of any type aboard Solstice?

Heal quickly!

Cheers,

Art

Matt buddy... sorry to hear of your pinky finger. Hope not on your primary hand??

And, you going to have a gen set of any type aboard Solstice?

Heal quickly!

Cheers,

Art

Yeah mate I’m right handed and broke my right pinky lol. Pain in the arse trying to do anything atm

No mate no genset at this stage. I have one that I will be rebuilding and may retrofit at a later stage but atm I’ll run with the oversized alternator, 12 x 100ah batteries, the solar panels and the 2000w inverter to power the 240v items.

800ltr diesel tank and 800ltr water tank are in position ready for strapping down, filler necks are welded and filler hose fitted.

IMG_9355.jpg
IMG_9357.jpg

Looks good Matt!

How does a guy your size [I know you've been on a diet and all that - but still] get into those tight spaces? - LOL

Haha mate it’s actually bigger than it looks

I imagine Solstice luvs you so much she's open up bigger spaces for you and you alone. Sounds Kinda Sexy... huh! :rofl: :dance:

That’s it for this week folks. Been a good week. The aft cockpit is finished, the filler lines were chased in the walls and fitted to both tanks are now waiting to be bolted down, the water tank was filled now I’m slowly filling the diesel tank, the hydraulic steering lines were lifted up and fixed off, the engine room was washed and the paint was touched up in there also and lastly the marine trimmer came out and is quoting on some of the interior stuff that I can’t make. Today I’ve started sanding again but it’s hard going with a broken finger on my dominant hand but I’m pushing through to get it done. Kick off again on Monday

IMG_9381.jpg
IMG_9388.jpg
IMG_9389.jpg
IMG_9390.jpg
IMG_9391.jpg
IMG_9393.jpg
IMG_9394.jpg

That’s it for this week folks. Been a good week. The aft cockpit is finished, the filler lines were chased in the walls and fitted to both tanks are now waiting to be bolted down, the water tank was filled now I’m slowly filling the diesel tank, the hydraulic steering lines were lifted up and fixed off, the engine room was washed and the paint was touched up in there also and lastly the marine trimmer came out and is quoting on some of the interior stuff that I can’t make. Today I’ve started sanding again but it’s hard going with a broken finger on my dominant hand but I’m pushing through to get it done. Kick off again on Monday.

"... stuff that I can’t make." That my dear mate is simply not true - in the long and short run. I can see reason to get a bit o' assistance in the arduous boat building tasks to which you so gleefully and completely apply your non stoppable creativity... but to say "stuff that I can't make" simply makes no sense! We all know that you can make anything you set your mind to! Never sell yourself short ... pure and simple... you ARE a creative builder genius - Nothing Less!!

Solstice is looking great!

This afternoon saw me finish the fuel tank and water tank install. I drilled holes in the midships for the breather lines to run to. Once that was done a little clean up in the engine room then I jumped outside and continued sanding. Had a quote from a marine trimmer for some of the interior today. After I picked myself up off the floor I figured I’d do 90% of it myself and get someone to make the seats. Still just for 3 seats they want $6000 ?[emoji53] ... might be a case of a pillow on an esky lol.

IMG_9457.jpg
IMG_9458.jpg
IMG_9459.jpg
IMG_9460.jpg
IMG_9456.jpg
IMG_9461.jpg

6k is a lot, I got all my stuff done for 5k, I had about 20 cushion done
IMG_0115.jpgIMG_0117.jpg

Damn, Im in the wrong business. Is this the guys busy season or something? It took ol' girl about 2 years to get mine done, she worked on them when she didn't have anything else to do

Yeah I was shocked. He quoted over $30,000 to do the interior.

Aren't there others for quotes? $30K seems pretty large. How much work is actually entailed for doing Solstice's interior? Several fishing days promised to the upholsterer may lighten your $$$ load on this too!

You play with Craigslist in Aus? Maybe you could locate an affordable person under "Skilled Trades". Run a request ad... such as... "Upholsterer and Seat Builder Wanted".

Around here there are often ads in "For Sale" section, under "Boats" and/or its sub category "All Parts and Accessories"; such as this ad: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/d/boat-cars-upholstery/6507356229.html

In CL ad sectors search for terms such as: "Upholsterer", or "Marine Sewing" or "Marine Fabric" - etc.

"Cars and Trucks" and "Auto Parts" often have upholster ads too. Doing a car, truck or boat for seats and beds is pretty much similar... just the material changes. You could purchase the material and pay for labor only... maybe???

I'd suggest running request ad in several locations. You might encounter several affordable replies! :thumb:

Best Luck Mate. My wishes are with you!! :D

:speed boat:

Aren't there others for quotes? $30K seems pretty large. How much work is actually entailed for doing Solstice's interior? Several fishing days promised to the upholsterer may lighten your $$$ load on this too!

You play with Craigslist in Aus? Maybe you could locate an affordable person under "Skilled Trades". Run a request ad... such as... "Upholsterer and Seat Builder Wanted".

Around here there are often ads in "For Sale" section, under "Boats" and/or its sub category "All Parts and Accessories"; such as this ad: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/d/boat-cars-upholstery/6507356229.html

In CL ad sectors search for terms such as: "Upholsterer", or "Marine Sewing" or "Marine Fabric" - etc.

"Cars and Trucks" and "Auto Parts" often have upholster ads too. Doing a car, truck or boat for seats and beds is pretty much similar... just the material changes. You could purchase the material and pay for labor only... maybe???

I'd suggest running request ad in several locations. You might encounter several affordable replies! :thumb:

Best Luck Mate. My wishes are with you!! :D

:speed boat:

Thanks for the tips mate. This was only the first quote I’ve had done. I have another three marine upholstery guys to ring and get quotes from. I think the first guy either didn’t want the job and loaded it up or thinks because I have a boat project I’ll pay his asking price. Either way he’s priced himself out of the race.

No rush with the interior. I’m still bloody sanding lol

Try a home interior upholstery shop. I worked for a home upholstery shop until the guy retired. Then I went to work for his son doing auto, RV, and boat. He wasn't a marina guy. Either the boat was brought to us or we went and got a signed planned for the interior project. Then we did the work in our shop, took everything back to the boat and installed it. We even brought along a small compressor and all the equipment we needed to complete the job and clean up after ourselves. I briefly had an antique auto interior resto shop until my divorce.

Try a home interior upholstery shop. I worked for a home upholstery shop until the guy retired. Then I went to work for his son doing auto, RV, and boat. He wasn't a marina guy. Either the boat was brought to us or we went and got a signed planned for the interior project. Then we did the work in our shop, took everything back to the boat and installed it. We even brought along a small compressor and all the equipment we needed to complete the job and clean up after ourselves. I briefly had an antique auto interior resto shop until my divorce.

Thanks mate

We used an upholsterer we`d used for jobs at home. Very reasonable but, they didn`t have to visit the boat, it was large cushion recovering work, not new work.

Next time tell the guy it for your RV or you camping trailer the price will be reduced by 80%. It is well known that as boat owners we all are rich. :)

L

I had an RV furniture manufacture make my furniture for about $1800. Go talk to your RV superstore or look online. Made on a steel frame, converts to bunks, has giant slide out drawer below. It’s L shaped and seats 5. I got to choose fabrics and colors.

Thanks for the tips folks. Had the same problem with wedding quotes. As soon as you mention the “W” word the price got jacked 300%.

Fun to apply make up on your gal!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom