Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Bruce.
Yeh still chipping away mate. Umm I'm not sure what birds they are. To be honest, if it's small and it flys I call it a wren haha. You're probably right tho but either way, they will be getting evicted shortly once they start crapping everywhere. Won't be too hard. I'll just plug up the hole with the downlight once they are all out. Will make sure there isn't any eggs in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Trying things differently today. Thought I'd try and skip a couple of sanding steps by chemically bonding instead of mechanically bonding. Filleted with glue/fillet powder, then I laid out some 450gsm tape, then I wet it out with epoxy then I skim coated with sanding filler. Bit trickier to do and is a lot wetter/runnier than doing each step individually but I just saved myself 4 hrs of sanding in the one section alone that I did today, not to mention $$$$ from product waste.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441534144.108541.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441534156.771868.jpg

Hey Bruce, was able to take some closer pics of my feathery friend. Do you know what it is mate? I recorded the call it dies of that helps?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441534215.926948.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441534237.095800.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441534250.063441.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441534264.814557.jpg

Hey! Nice to see a profile of Axe! Looks pretty good. Your design elements flow together quite nicely.

Awesome profile of Axe! Beautiful lines. I like the Chip Chip as well ;)

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

That bird looks like a striated pardalote, Matt.

And your boat is looking like a real beaut!

Mate, you did it again. Remember the pictures you posted when you framed the pilot house fore lights ? It took me several tries to see the correct angles on that framing job.

Looking at your post (#2125 ), I at first think the picture is centered just forward of the pilot house but when I look at the keel, my mind wants to say I'm standing straight off from the prop/rudder area.

It will all come together for me after the launch as those many first day photos come online. Enough of this, I'll let you get back to the Axe.

Frank

Matt, it looks like what I call a swallow (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_swallow), but Auscan could be right. They like boats, especially covered areas, best exclude them now before they nest or you might not have the heart to boot them once the kids hatch.

Looks really good Matt.

I especially like the transom lines as seen from the side. The upper cabin lines work very well and the termination of the cabin top ending ahead (a bit) of the top of the transon. Would go well w a metal post slanted the same amount. The only improvement could be possibly to have the sheer break mimick the nice curves of the aft end of the top of the window .. and cabin. Still really like the wheelhouse windows and the sheer break being in that position is good too.

Overall a very nice looking boat.

Awesome work! Love the lines, and what's more is that when you get through with the scaffolding, you can use the material for your A-Frame paravane system!

Greetings,
Mr. BK. RE: bird. Of course Mr. Auscan is right. He read the link I posted (#2134). You just got side tracked by the boobies...

Greetings,
Mr. BK. RE: bird. Of course Mr. Auscan is right. He read the link I posted (#2134). You just got side tracked by the boobies...

Actually, I had to look it up. My focus was on the boobies as well.

Greetings,
Mr. H. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striated_pardalote
Could be worse. You could have an infestation of...
giphy.gif

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE boobies. Just not the blue footed variety.

Hello Mr RT.
Thank you kind sir..!!
I Appreciate you taking the time to research the bird and providing me that link.

Very helpful. Thank you.

Hey! Nice to see a profile of Axe! Looks pretty good. Your design elements flow together quite nicely.

Thanks mate but I can't take all the credit. I get my inspiration and design ideas from pictures I see online from companies like Riviera and alike. They are the real designers. I'm just a copy cat lol

Mate, you did it again. Remember the pictures you posted when you framed the pilot house fore lights ? It took me several tries to see the correct angles on that framing job.

Looking at your post (#2125 ), I at first think the picture is centered just forward of the pilot house but when I look at the keel, my mind wants to say I'm standing straight off from the prop/rudder area.

It will all come together for me after the launch as those many first day photos come online. Enough of this, I'll let you get back to the Axe.

Frank

G'day Frank.
Where have I lost ya mate..?
Is there something wrong with the shape?

Looks really good Matt.

I especially like the transom lines as seen from the side. The upper cabin lines work very well and the termination of the cabin top ending ahead (a bit) of the top of the transon. Would go well w a metal post slanted the same amount. The only improvement could be possibly to have the sheer break mimick the nice curves of the aft end of the top of the window .. and cabin. Still really like the wheelhouse windows and the sheer break being in that position is good too.

Overall a very nice looking boat.

G'day mate.
Thanks for the feedback, however I'm not conversant with boat builder talk so have no idea what a sheer break is etc.

Is that the straight angled bit at the back that is the same angle as the transom fins?

Where would you put the post mate? I'm still tossing up whether or not I should put some in or not.

Appreciate your help and advice mate.

Thanks again..!!

Greetings,

Yep you called it mate.

Sorry AusCan but Mr RT gets the prize this time.

Actually, just to enter into a bit of bird-brained argument, I immediately thought Matt's 'wrens' were actually these things...sorry RTF...

Bing Images

...which drive us spare at our marina because they love to perch and poo in every nice out-of-the-weather place they can find on your boat. I have those self-adhesive backed brush-edged door draft stoppers stuck upside down on anything that might provide them an edge to try and stop this fouling. It is working in most places...I think...
Better plan for this possibility Matt. Just sayin'...
I admit they are not identical, but maybe they are a West Australian strain. Whatever those birds were anyway, once the boat is moored, there will be bird roosting poo problems...take friendly warning...

Last edited:
G'day mate.
Thanks for the feedback, however I'm not conversant with boat builder talk so have no idea what a sheer break is etc.

Is that the straight angled bit at the back that is the same angle as the transom fins?

Where would you put the post mate? I'm still tossing up whether or not I should put some in or not.

Appreciate your help and advice mate.

Thanks again..!!

Matt,
The sheer is the line that is the gunwale viewed from the side. Some swoop up a lot in the bow and others (like speedboats) hook down so the helmsman can see where he's going. Some are straight. Your sheer line is not continious. There is a break in the sheer line. A stepped or broken sheer accommodates the difference in the higher fwd deck and the frequently much lower after decks. In a way you have two sheer lines ... basically straight. For years Chris Craft had a broken sheer line that hooked down comming from the bow. It was a visual brand name identy feature that was featured more or less throught the line. A broken sheer makes the boat look shorter and a straight sheer makes the boat look longer. The angular lines of your fwd windows sorta match the angular lines formed by the "broken" sheer line. Nice marriage. I like it.

Put the posts (one on each side) considering the following;
Where there's structure to attach to.
Where activities like comming aboard and handling mooring lines aren't encumbered by the posts. Comming aboard may be easier with the post than without it. Putting canvas around the aft cockpit may be easier w the posts.
Having a "rake" or slant that mimics another prominent line like the back of the cabin. Or like vertical lines of many side windows, other stanchions or even the transom.

But it's purpose is structural so primarily it should just support the cabin roof. Then it's more or less what you like. The visual support of the post may make the boat look "correct" and the lack of a post may in a small way may make the roof look like it may break off. If my cabin roof extended all the way aft w no visual support it would look really odd and somewhat "visually upsetting".

Last edited:
Along with Peter B,I`m unpersuaded they are pardalotes, and not swallows.
But I get the connection between boobies, swallows, and swallowing.

Matt - The more I see AXE the more I like her! She's a beaut! You're a Master!

Back
Top Bottom