Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Matt should fly all of us over for the launch LOL. It's looking better every time you post!

Greetings,
Mr. d2. "...should fly all of us over..." I'm SURE Matt would willingly do this but first he'd have to build the plane...

giphy.gif

Greetings,
Mr. BK. "...basis of the final finish." Haven't been boating long have you? Not to throw water on the works but a boat is NEVER finished, only completed to the point of being usable....
RTF, by "basis of the final finish" I meant a surface which was like it would look when smoothed and painted, producing the final "finish". Nothing to do with "finishing" the boat.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. "...basis of the final finish." Haven't been boating long have you? Not to throw water on the works but a boat is NEVER finished, only completed to the point of being usable. That being said, after 1880 posts, I suspect this is the longest running thread in the history of TF and rightly so. An EPIC journey from the humble beginnings of a keel and a few ribs to the magnificent structure we are now presented with in Mr. H's pictorial ongoing build-alogue. What the Axe team has accomplished thus far is nothing short of outstanding and truly commendable.

brc.gif

Thanks Mate. I'm flattered by your kind words. I'm Just happy to share my journey and do some learning and bounce ideas off members that are more experienced than I and share what I have learnt to people considering doing the same and make some friends along the way, which I have done and will continue to do. Thanks again RT.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

RT I could not of said it better this is just so amazing to see it coming together

I want to fly down for the launch

Lol I wish I was closer to y'all so you could join in on the occasion. That would be fantastic for sure!

In previous years… I've rebuilt portions of classic/antique houses. I've built grand masonry additions to new and old houses as well as in commercial projects. I've rebuilt portions of many wood boats while working at boat-yards in New England... back, when very young. I often do builds on cars and trucks for enjoyment. I consistently build on our properties' landscapes and buildings - in process of additions/improvements right now.

BUT - I have NEVER accomplished or seen the likes of Matt's sheer and utter determination for the detailed design occurrences he is self-providing along with Flic’s help to the creation of an entirely new craft. AXE is not a boat re-build, but rather, AXE is an entirely new creation from “The Mind-of-Matt”!

That might be a good title for boating mags to use when Matt’s project reaches Splash and then Fun-Time-Cruising. Because… after all… this project Matt is accomplishing is epic in the annals of wood boat building. There should certainly be well written articles/stories provided to the boating community so that other mariners outside TF get opportunity to really experience what all we TF members have been blessed to see from the very beginning.

Matt – You are a Star!

You're a Gentleman and a Scholar!

Thank you for your words of support kind sir!

Lol I wish I was closer to y'all so you could join in on the occasion. That would be fantastic for sure!

As Much as I travel the world for work never know I may be close at the time

Greetings,
Mr. d2. "...should fly all of us over..." I'm SURE Matt would willingly do this but first he'd have to build the plane...

giphy.gif

Hahahaa yeah an epoxy plane. I reckon I could pull that off with some of the off cuts I've got lol

Matt, I hope you realise that when you finish the Axe, you will have to make a matching dinghy out of the off-cuts…so I hope you've saved them.
O'course that'un would have to be named Tomahawk, wouldn't it..? :D

Matt, I hope you realise that when you finish the Axe, you will have to make a matching dinghy out of the off-cuts…so I hope you've saved them.
O'course that'un would have to be named Tomahawk, wouldn't it..? :D

Ha. No chance mate. The spindrift cat is AXE's tender

There should certainly be well written articles/stories provided to the boating community so that other mariners outside TF get opportunity to really experience what all we TF members have been blessed to see from the very beginning.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

You can be my Agent and Manager and work out a movie and book combo deal ... I trust ya brother! ...hahaha.

Last edited:
Matt - you're (we're - lol) closen in on 2,000 posts. Wasn't sure I could count that high.

Any AXE followers want to put a "$20 dollar each" cash pool together on closest guess of post number attained for the "very-second" water reaches AXE's bottom... during her initial Splash? Cash would be snail mailed by all entrants to winner's address provided. Someone might make a couple/few hundred bucks while great fun continues to exude throughout this monumental personal endeavor! I believe it should be winner's fiduciary responsibility to then mail at least 50% of the cash winnings to Matt and Flic so they can party-on!!

I predict post #2,853.51779 - Just kidden! :dance:

But - I would be pleased to donate the $20 cash to who is closest guess to the post number at moment of Splash (no stuffen the ballet box with last minute posts to reach number guessed - honesty is the best policy). I feel all entry guesses would need to be provided by the time this thread reaches 2,000 posts... and, that date ain't too far off!

RT - You're a champ at putting things together - want to be the MC on this prize contest?

You can be my Agent and Manager and work out a movie and book combo deal ... I trust ya brother! ...hahaha.

Be careful what you ask for! - LOL :popcorn: :socool:

Art, can Mod's enter? I feel really, really lucky somehow :)

Art, can Mod's enter? I feel really, really lucky somehow :)

Sounds good to me - I'm hoping RT (or maybe some other TF member) can/will take on the roll of MC for this "Splash Time" post # winning cash prize. I'll place my post # guess. I can't be MC on this due to conflicting schedules I too often experience that divert my time away.

LOL Art, Mods can close/edit threads, we would win, trust me. I think it's better we don't play :)

LOL Art, Mods can close/edit threads, we would win, trust me. I think it's better we don't play :)

That's true... but IDGAS... Don't all TF mods need to be sussed out for pure honesty first by Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton!!?? - LOL :facepalm: :rofl:

The "Splash Pool" is a great idea, but shouldn't the proceeds go to Matt and Flic to pay for the launch party (with video to be posted here)? That is bound to be a helluva of an affair!

The "Splash Pool" is a great idea, but shouldn't the proceeds go to Matt and Flic to pay for the launch party (with video to be posted here)? That is bound to be a helluva of an affair!

A general pool is different than a prize winning contest that attracts entrants. Please read post 1908 again. I feel the 50% of a contest with inducement to enter for a $$ prize would at 50% divvy get more $$$ to Matt and Flick than just request to join a pool... but... I may be incorrect! :popcorn:

I'd be pleased to get into either or both... maybe both could be developed to assist in financing the Splash of AXE.

Last edited:
It's good for a laugh and I did have a giggle but in all seriousness, let's not do any bets or pools or prize funds please.

As soon as money gets involved things get complicated and I'd rather not be a part of that as it could take away the true meaning of AXE

I know you mean well but there has been some extremely generous members that have donated items to me like Blue with the Furuno Radar and Radome as well as Rex with the SARCA Anchor as well as everyones advice on here. I'm still trying to figure out how I can repay all of this so let's not involve $$$ too :).

Thanks anyway tho :) and I hope I haven't offended anyone

But Art, if Spielberg calls then let's aim high brother!!! Lol

Last edited:
The rain is here so the sanding begins.

It just dawned on me today, the next step is priming!! Can't believe it. Kinda sad but happy in a weird way.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437557688.822821.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437557715.578403.jpg

Ok so the Rivs have a logo and I reckon AXE should too. I'm thinking an F for Felicity and an M for Matt or including AXE. I'm not entirely sure so I'm throwing it out there to any arty folks that want to chuck up some ideas. The design will be cut CNC cut out of polished stainless steel and place on the exterior just like the Rivs

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437558322.503429.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437558335.084599.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437558347.353346.jpg

Interior wall fabric chosen for the main cabin area and the fwd bedroom of the boat. Wasn't 100% sold on it at first but I really love it now that I've lined it up with the white kitchen and black benchtops and the dash vinyl etc.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437560319.232976.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437560331.616702.jpg

An axe head with F & M cut into it?

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom