Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tell me about it. I had a little soft spot by my hawser that I figured I would fix before it got bad. Kept cutting until I had the whole bow deck out. Replaced it with fiberboard, then epoxy and now using gelcoat and fairing it. my 2/3 day project is in it's 4th week. The good news is when I am done it will never need doing again!

Hahaha ? Post some pics up mate. Would be good to see someone else's jobs.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Finished putting down the flooring panels and hatches today.

The hatches are 6mm plate and found it was a better flush finish, quicker, cheaper and easier to just screw the hatches straight to the floor and add a 6mm layer of ply to the existing floor than it would if I were to router around out the opening to allow the hatch to sit flush.

I put roof sheets up but forgot to take pics of that. Will get some on the weekend.

I screwed off one section of the flooring and marked out for the lounge/bed.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415265682.993019.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415265705.132147.jpg

Wow - AXE will surely be one beautiful, unique and rugged baby when you're done. Making great headway!

Hahaha �� Post some pics up mate. Would be good to see someone else's jobs.

Pic 1....the discovery. 2.Initial glass repair. When the original (sheets) anti slip was installed, the idiots used a Stanley knife to cut the shapes and sizes they wanted, with the piece in place. This cut went through the original glass and although painted, allowed moisture to eventually get in. The damp followed these cuts perfectly. All the antislip with removed the damage repaired and the whole deck expoxied. The gel coat is used as a filler and is almost all sanded off again. Still needs to be primed (Hi build two part) and then epoxy primer (554) and finally roll on antislip (maybe Kiwigrip?)

Attachments

• Bow1.jpg
    Bow1.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 106
  • Bow2.jpg
    Bow2.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Bow4.jpg
    Bow4.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 103
Good job mate! That certainly won't need doing anytime soon! I've used and love KIWIGRIP. There's another product called treadgrip. Not used it but comes highly recommended.

G'day,
I cracked on again today. This time I was lucky and had some help. Flic came down with me ??

I set Flic loose on the tools and she made the lounge/fold out bed. She's did a great job!

I left her to it and worked on the roof. I unscrewed the sheets I put on yesterday, moved them all aft and rescrewed them. I was laying in bed thinking about the roof and decided it would look better with a curved roof line to match the hull extension so spent all day working on that. I nogged out the two roof hatches in the main cabin and While I was doing that I saw I had to put in more trimmers because the sheets moved aft so that threw them all out. Not to worry cause the roof looks better curved.

I started screwing of the sheets and got them all done except for the outer most edges but was getting late so decided to pull the pin and go home for a well earned beer?

Well that's all. Not long now till lock up.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415444609.980247.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415444640.056254.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415444678.172728.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415444709.358496.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415444733.442314.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415444757.067629.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415444776.947749.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415444803.185815.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415444827.360033.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415444865.147728.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415444888.815924.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta love the arrow showing which way is up in that last picture :)
Good looking mate! I mean looking good mate!
I checked out that Tread grip (thanks) but think the Kiwigrip is better (except the price)

Lol yeah old lift here sling markings for the crane when she was being rolled.

Not used treadgrip myself nor seen it but I've used KIWIGRIP and loved it

You and Flic get another WOW!

BTW... can't you read... never supposed to stand on top of step ladder! LOL

And, You're OK... but... Flic is Really OK... equal rights in photo shoots - Please!! That's only fair!! LOL

You and Flic get another WOW!

BTW... can't you read... never supposed to stand on top of step ladder! LOL

And, You're OK... but... Flic is Really OK... equal rights in photo shoots - Please!! That's only fair!! LOL

Haha yeah I'll remember that for next time mate haha

G'day all,
Today is finished off Flics work from yesterday, I screwed off the hatches, installed the raised steering station platform and had a bit of a clean up.

That's it for another week. Back to work tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415522846.924124.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415522891.326474.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415522927.224293.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415522952.995980.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415523015.066543.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415523063.124906.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1415523087.324524.jpg

OK Matt and Flic - I've just about had it! Can't take this NO More!

I know, I know... you guys are really good at what you are doing to AXE and all that... But there is simply something more you guys have/do that I/we want/need answer toooooo!

How in the hellll are you two manufacturing time?????

It's obvious by all the great things/stuff you get so beautifully accomplished on AXE in record time, as well needing time to live life in general (whoopee schedules included)... that you guys are hiding something from us at TF regarding a way to manufacture xtra time!

OK, come on now, cough it up: Please tell us how you two manufacture so much Xtra Time??? And, it is clearly obvious that you both are getting better at manufacturing time as AXE progresses!

I'm/we're dying to learn your secret! If you can bottle and sell your Xtra Time Magic then extreme wealth would quickly come your way!

Next thing I would ask of you two would be to manufacture instant teletransportation/teleportation.

From that point onward life would nearly always be viewed from a hammock on sundeck of a boat... in between swims that is!

:lol: :dance: :speed boat:

PS: Interesting how your total personal post count and the evolving post count of all the many contributors to this thread are staying right so well in sync. You have more magic in your fingertips that we or even you imagine - LOL

Last edited:
Lol you answered your own question mate. Our life is AXE. We might venture out in to the public and do things but make up for the lost time by working on tasks at night and after work. This part of the build is the easy bit mate. When I was framing houses in QLD I always use to say to the owners not to get too excited because up to lock up stage is quite quick; especially framing. One day there's a slab and next day the house frames and trusses are up. It's the finishing that takes the most time. Same here. It's all framing but once I start filleting and sanding and fairing yall be on my back telling me to hurry up hahaha.

:

PS: Interesting how your total personal post count and the evolving post count of all the many contributors to this thread are staying right so well in sync. You have more magic in your fingertips that we or even you imagine - LOL

What's this post and personal count thing mate? I can't see stuff like that on my iPhone.

Last edited:
What's this post and personal count thing mate? I can't see stuff like that on my iPhone.

"...once I start filleting and sanding and fairing yall be on my back telling me to hurry up hahaha."

1367 posts to date on this thread... 1324 your total post count to date... pretty close numbers. Must be more of your magic! :D

PS: Don't plan to mention hurry up... just keep It UP! - LOL

Last edited:
I was told once upon a time by a (then) older fellow who built wood boats that he figured when the hull was planked the deck and house on and the shell at "lock up" that he was 1/3 of the way through the build. The more I work on boats the more I think he was right.
You guys are doing a great job. Wish my refit was progressing at the same rate.
Love the pictures.

I was told once upon a time by a (then) older fellow who built wood boats that he figured when the hull was planked the deck and house on and the shell at "lock up" that he was 1/3 of the way through the build. The more I work on boats the more I think he was right.
You guys are doing a great job. Wish my refit was progressing at the same rate.
Love the pictures.

Thanks mate. 1/3 of the way eh! ... :'-(

Hi all.
An opportunity to purchase a used Furuno NavNet RDP-149 from Florida for around $1,500 aud. with GPS arial and Aussie SD Card map.

It has no Radar Arial but will look at buying one at a later date to make it a chart plotter and Radar unit with a separate fish finder.

It's seems to be in pretty good Nik in the photos and has about 1000hrs use.

Pic attached.

Are these units any good?

Appreciate your input.

Seems to be in the ballpark cost wise of the others I've researched for the same unit.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1416024014.337558.jpg

I have a Furuno 72 mile Random in my shop somewhere. Let me look up the number and see if is compatible with the above. It was working perfectly when I took it off 2 months ago.

Hi all.
An opportunity to purchase a used Furuno NavNet RDP-149 from Florida for around $1,500 aud. with GPS arial and Aussie SD Card map.

It has no Radar Arial but will look at buying one at a later date to make it a chart plotter and Radar unit with a separate fish finder.

It's seems to be in pretty good Nik in the photos and has about 1000hrs use.

Pic attached.

Are these units any good?

Appreciate your input.

Seems to be in the ballpark cost wise of the others I've researched for the same unit.

View attachment 34458

Mate, those are solid units. Getting an array in the future shouldn't be hard they're all over ebay.

To add a depth sounder I'd reccomend the DFF1, and you'll need Furuno BBWGPS to get position.

I have been a lurker for about a year now. My good friend Art turned me onto this boat build to perk me up..... I can see that he is stirring the pot here as well ;) . I have read every word of all 68 pages. Good stuff.

This is an amazing, and ambitious project. Most guys would never have gotten started with anything this huge. The rest of them that got started would have lost steam long before this point. Props to you for all your efforts. The vast majority of boat guys can't tackle changing out there own engine. You are in an elite crowd. Keep going.

When you realized the hull was a bit wonky and would need to be redone, I could feel your pain and frustration half way around the world. I was sure that would be the end of AXE. Good on you for getting back to work at that point.

I have to admit that I got off the idea of a wood composite mix back in the 70's. I only work in plastics today. Materials were not nearly as good in the 70's as they are today for your chosen medium. The humid salt environment of the Hawaiian Islands made wood composite boats short lived, and they required tons of maintenance. I am not making any inference here, only justifying the warped reasoning for my life choice of boat building materials. I find that as the years drag on I have become morally apposed to wood in any form. I do love the way it looks however.

I find your approach to problem solving great, and a bit refreshing. I am 2 years into a major retrofit on a 26 foot diesel inboard sport fishing boat. There are days were the doom and gloom of the Pacific North West, and the size of my build get me down. It is nice to have a sneak peek into the life of another tortured soul, toiling away on his dream. It helps get me back out there on the boat to make some headway.... any headway..

The Tollycraft owners club was nice enough to make room for my boat build on their website. Being that I am not working on a Tollycraft this was darn sporting of them to do. If you are looking for some boat insanity that is completely different from what you are doing, you are welcome to have a look at what I am up to. It may pick you up at low points in your build.

Ill keep lurking with a new voice and resource here on the troller forum.

2660 Trophy with the 90 HP Nissan Diesel restoration

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
I have a Furuno 72 mile Random in my shop somewhere. Let me look up the number and see if is compatible with the above. It was working perfectly when I took it off 2 months ago.

Hi mate.
What's a 72 mile random?

Mate, those are solid units. Getting an array in the future shouldn't be hard they're all over ebay.

To add a depth sounder I'd reccomend the DFF1, and you'll need Furuno BBWGPS to get position.

Hey Cheif! ...thanks for the heads up mate. What's a DFF1 and a BBWGPS? I looked at those rotating radar bars and motors on eBay.

They look sik and I'd love to have on but I fear it will just draw unwanted attention to AXE and seeing as she is swinging off a buoy in an unlit non security patrolled area this may not be a wise thing to do. That and they are bloody pricey lol.

I've looked at the domes instead. Are they any good? I know they aren't as strong in Kw but do they work?

I have been a lurker for about a year now. My good friend Art turned me onto this boat build to perk me up..... I can see that he is stirring the pot here as well ;) . I have read every word of all 68 pages. Good stuff.

This is an amazing, and ambitious project. Most guys would never have gotten started with anything this huge. The rest of them that got started would have lost steam long before this point. Props to you for all your efforts. The vast majority of boat guys can't tackle changing out there own engine. You are in an elite crowd. Keep going.

When you realized the hull was a bit wonky and would need to be redone, I could feel your pain and frustration half way around the world. I was sure that would be the end of AXE. Good on you for getting back to work at that point.

I have to admit that I got off the idea of a wood composite mix back in the 70's. I only work in plastics today. Materials were not nearly as good in the 70's as they are today for your chosen medium. The humid salt environment of the Hawaiian Islands made wood composite boats short lived, and they required tons of maintenance. I am not making any inference here, only justifying the warped reasoning for my life choice of boat building materials. I find that as the years drag on I have become morally apposed to wood in any form. I do love the way it looks however.

I find your approach to problem solving great, and a bit refreshing. I am 2 years into a major retrofit on a 26 foot diesel inboard sport fishing boat. There are days were the doom and gloom of the Pacific North West, and the size of my build get me down. It is nice to have a sneak peek into the life of another tortured soul, toiling away on his dream. It helps get me back out there on the boat to make some headway.... any headway..

The Tollycraft owners club was nice enough to make room for my boat build on their website. Being that I am not working on a Tollycraft this was darn sporting of them to do. If you are looking for some boat insanity that is completely different from what you are doing, you are welcome to have a look at what I am up to. It may pick you up at low points in your build.

Keep up the good work.

Hello Sir.

Thank you for your post. I'm about to go to a work Christmas function but will reply upon my return.

Hi mate.
What's a 72 mile random?

I have no idea how I wrote that! Radome is what I meant and if it will work you are welcome to it. I have the unit as well but cut the cable as I was to lazy to remove the ceiling. I just looked at cables and they are $350. Had I known I might not have cut it! :eek:

Hey Cheif! ...thanks for the heads up mate. What's a DFF1 and a BBWGPS? I looked at those rotating radar bars and motors on eBay.

They look sik and I'd love to have on but I fear it will just draw unwanted attention to AXE and seeing as she is swinging off a buoy in an unlit non security patrolled area this may not be a wise thing to do. That and they are bloody pricey lol.

I've looked at the domes instead. Are they any good? I know they aren't as strong in Kw but do they work?

The DFF1 is the sounder box so you can get depth, and the BBWGPS is the antenna that's gets you your position. You obviously don't have to add radar now, use the boat and see if it would useful enough to justify the cost.

Keep up the good work.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hello Sir.

Thank you for your post. I'm about to go to a work Christmas function but will reply upon my return.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OMG, OMG!!

What have I done? What have I done?? - - > It’s alive… the two headed Boat Restoration Giant has joined forces!! IT Lives!! :hide: LOL

There’ll be no end to what type restoration magic and marvels can come into existence from this point onward. These two boat-resto maniacs = "Super Computer" inside The Boat Restoro-World. I suggest all fans and watchers (such as I) put on really good UV 400 sunglasses each time we visit any thread these guys started… Ever Brighter Lights Will Flash! :socool:

I've succeeded in bringing two boat rebuilding/restoration GIANTS together in communication (self-pat on the back! lol). Two men that hundreds idolize for their vim and vigor… not to mention gumption, stick-to-itiveness and sheer will of reaching completion on finely done projects. :thumb:

I adore their boat creations and will stay close as possible in watching all the magic they each perform on their chosen crafts. Reading their posts, as well as in-put posts carrying other fans recommendations, is a course in boat-resto magic that I've not experienced elsewhere. 1960's/70's when I worked on boats with experienced boatwrights in boatyards and a new boat builder in New England regions... I learned some magic then too... but... these guys are on magical-steroids! :rofl:

Get It On Guys!

It don’t get no better than this! Period! :D

Happy Boat-Life Daze! - Art :speed boat:

PS: I herein give a pronounced mention to Boat Restorer Emeritus – Handle, “Scary” (i.e. Steve) on TF. His resto on a mid-1950’s 57’ Chris Craft was also nothing short of magic. Moto, in addition to visiting http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s55/im-about-start-project-older-chriscraft-6833.html ... you might like to cruise into TF search feature and see other boat-magic Scary speaks about. That Chris-Resto was truly a great thread to follow; similar to you two’s threads, chock-a-block full of boat-resto miracles.

To all other boat-resto magic producing, endless energy persons; please forgive me for not mentioning your names/handles/projects. Do realize that my hat is off to you and your accomplishments too! :thumb:

I have no idea how I wrote that! Radome is what I meant and if it will work you are welcome to it. I have the unit as well but cut the cable as I was to lazy to remove the ceiling. I just looked at cables and they are $350. Had I known I might not have cut it! :eek:

Splicing that cable is a snap. Small epoxy lined crimp fittings work wonders. The only trick is the repair on the shielding. I have used a strip of aluminum foil coated in dielectric grease and healed on by epoxy coated shrink wrap. For 350$ its worth doing. Removing it from the ceiling may be a challenge but if you have a good bit on each end the middle can be fabricated for close to nothing.

Back
Top Bottom