Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might have taken me wrong there Matt. I was sympathising about having to suck it out with a wet vac being a pain, but understood why you had to once you pointed out the bilge was full of, debris as well as water.

The other thought re making the engine raw water intake an optional emergency bilge pump is a recognised practice, but one which few ever take the time to set up. I thought now while in the building phase might make that a worthwhile consideration, is all...

No worries. The sentence I quoted didn't come across that way, more so argumentative than suggestive. The joys of the internet ay! ... All good tho. Hitting my thumb with the hammer may have contributed to me overly sensitive response today.

I'm in AXE's bilge at the moment. Here's a pic of the bit I haven't vacuumed yet.

Onward and upward

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408782877.852086.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Well today saw the exhaust get finished yeeooww! What a PITFA that was ... Glad it's finished. The floor trimmers went in and the PSS got its breather and got tensioned. Tomorrow she'll get Quick vacuum then paint!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408789087.613362.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408789109.834885.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408789133.021199.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408789154.418520.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408789205.073082.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Today my cheap insurance policy arrived. Be good to get it on so I can tick that off the list.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409048874.536998.jpg

Geez Matt you make boat building look easy! I still follow your adventure and remain amazed with your tenacity and inventive spirit. I almost feel cheap reading your"book" without actually buying it! So thanks for sharing your story. That's what makes this forum worth the time. So many different experiences from many different people shows me many solutions to different problems. I was looking at the water pump mount you made where did you find the sheave? I have been searching for a replacement and have yet to find what I need.
Thanks again for your story you will be floating before you know it!!

Geez Matt you make boat building look easy! I still follow your adventure and remain amazed with your tenacity and inventive spirit. I almost feel cheap reading your"book" without actually buying it! So thanks for sharing your story. That's what makes this forum worth the time. So many different experiences from many different people shows me many solutions to different problems. I was looking at the water pump mount you made where did you find the sheave? I have been searching for a replacement and have yet to find what I need.
Thanks again for your story you will be floating before you know it!!

Hi mate.
Thanks for your message and kind words of support. I've been a bit slack lately so it's good timing. Just what the doctor ordered. ??

Now this sheave you're enquiring about. What is a sheave? I don't want to give you details on the wrong part because of the terminology differences between countries.

Where about's on the pump is it? Maybe edit one of my pics and repost it for me.

cheers mate.
Matt ?

Just googled Sheave. ?

I think you're referring to the Pulley.
It's the pink wheel with the groove in it for the belt. Is that the part?

I bought that from BSC here in Perth
http://www.bsc.com.au/

Pulleys are pretty much available everywhere here mate, even eBay ?

If you get stuck, shoot me a PM and I'll buy it, send it over and you can fix me up for it.

Cheers mate.
Matt ??

Matt-
Been following your build for a long time now. Gotta ask, is the air different down there?
Was there on a Gator Freighter many years ago, (1984 USN) and pulled into Perth, just thought of it as another San Deigo.
But, Man you guys are some serious boat nuts! I look at how far you have come on this project and I am stunned at your engineering skills and fortitude!
You give this old fart hope for the coming generation!
Hang in there buddy, soon it will splash, and you will be sitting there with a cold one in hand, and say.....What now?

Keep at it mate!

John

Matt-
Been following your build for a long time now. Gotta ask, is the air different down there?
Was there on a Gator Freighter many years ago, (1984 USN) and pulled into Perth, just thought of it as another San Deigo.
But, Man you guys are some serious boat nuts! I look at how far you have come on this project and I am stunned at your engineering skills and fortitude!
You give this old fart hope for the coming generation!
Hang in there buddy, soon it will splash, and you will be sitting there with a cold one in hand, and say.....What now?

Keep at it mate!

John

G'day John,
Thanks for your message mate! I Appreciate your support and thanks for giving me a little nudge. Sometimes it's hard to stay focused and keep an eye on the prize so I appreciate messages like yours that keep me on track.

Thanks again mate ??

Regards
Matt?

:thumb:Thanks Matt, looking at the product specs on the website I do not see the pulley like I am looking for. Mine has an off set to it. Impossible for me to explain. Got a machinist buddy who will make one for me when he gets time to spare. Guess I will take him up on his offer to help me out. Only going to charge me one bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey!! You are a jewel. Helpful mate indeed. Cheers Mate.

Dave

Bilge and engine room Painting complete. Fwd cabin flooring down with provision for the 170L toilet holding tank. Flooring braces and jack studs were beefed up more than normal due to the weight of the batteries that will be housed within the frame of the bed. Went for the separated toilet and separate shower set up with the staircase separating the two. They will both be 900mm x 900mm in size with overall head height being 2100mm throughout including the upper level. The staircase will be hinged allowing access to the tank. The section to the aft of the tank will be the location of the fwd bilge pump. There are two more bilge pumps to install. One will be situated in mid ships and the last will be aft in the hull extension.

I've decided to plan on placing the macerating pump for pumping out the holding tank in the engine room via a short length of sanitation hose for ease of access for future maintenance, instead of placing it on top of the tank.

The walls in the fwd cabin will be insulated with the same acoustic batts as the floor above the engine room. There will be four port hole windows being installed in the fwd cabin, as well as one in the toilet and one in the shower. ( 3 per side ) ... These will be marked out shortly so a sill can be framed up in between the ribs before the insulation and wall sheets go up.

I'll be adding a nice big anchor locker to encapsulate my rode and allow plenty of fall for the chain. The locker will be glassed and filleted to ensure a waterproof compartment except for the skin fitting to allow for drainage. For access I will be adding a floor hatch as the door so it remains water tight n the event of a front on strike.

I added two more LED down lights to the aft section of the engine room. Making 8 in total down there. I'll be adding a small been and vice as well as some shelving so maintenance or repairs can be made without too much fuss.

The generator will be aft just behind the 800L fresh water tank as it won't be used unless of an emergency and I need my power tools to patch a hole or when conducting maintenance etc. I have bought a 2000w (4000w max) pure sine wave inverter but that will just be for a TV, toaster, kettle, phone chargers etc. I don't plan on loading it up to run electric drills or welders. That can be left for the generator.

That's all for this weekend. Back to work tomorrow. ??

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410686369.285061.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410686403.977998.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410686431.180608.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410686463.399323.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410686488.142786.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410686527.275378.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410686555.076906.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410686599.602266.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410686637.291910.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410686676.016111.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410686696.319987.jpg

Last edited:
HI Hendo

The baby is coming along just fine...
Congratulations on your skills!

Portuguese

Matt me mate!

I'm damn pleased to see you back into posting as well as to see all the great picts of your most recent accomplishments! We're all pulling for ya big time. Wish I was close enough to give some assistance. Personally, I'm amazed at your skills as well as resilience. :thumb:

I do have one question... is that a six or eight foot yellow level I see on plywood floor in one pict? If so... are you using it just for straight edge?? Using da "bubble" on a boat is difficult at best while custom building the entire yacht. And, if you already know exactly what that plane-of-level that hull will set-at in water once completed... so the bubble makes sense at this still early-building dry-dock stage... then, my hat's way off to ya. Cause, You B Scary Smart!! :D

Enjoy your every hour building bro! Once your done boredom will takeover and your next project might be twice as BIG! Now, that's SCARY!!

Happy Boat Builden Daze - Art :speed boat:

Looking great mate. You ready for the Springboks on the 26th?

Hendo,does your framing have limber holes to allow water to run rear ward to the bilge pumps?That's some robust framing.Limber holes shouldn't make a difference in strength.

Thanks for the pics, congrats on the progress. The build quality looks great, so many good features incorporated as it proceeds. Great to see.

Looking good Matt. Just one thing re your macerator pump idea. It's a good one, and I did the same - had to - but make sure the pump is about the level of the tank or only barely above it, because the claims they make for them being self-priming can be, well…let's just say…exaggerated. Certainly the TMC one is useless for that, mine is only just above the tank top and would never self prime, and I had to set a tap arrangement so I could actually flush the toilet down the tank outlet line to the pump every time to prime it, then reset them all again to pump out. The Jabsco one would be better - just costs more. Johnson would also have one, but I have no idea how good it is for self-priming. Small, but important point. Boy I envy you being able to start and do all that stuff from scratch before everything is closed in and confined.

HI Hendo

The baby is coming along just fine...
Congratulations on your skills!

Portuguese

Thank you my friend but I have a question for you! ... Why are you on here writing replies to my crappy posts when you have just launched that magnificent vessel ... ???

Matt me mate!

I'm damn pleased to see you back into posting as well as to see all the great picts of your most recent accomplishments! We're all pulling for ya big time. Wish I was close enough to give some assistance. Personally, I'm amazed at your skills as well as resilience. :thumb:

I do have one question... is that a six or eight foot yellow level I see on plywood floor in one pict? If so... are you using it just for straight edge?? Using da "bubble" on a boat is difficult at best while custom building the entire yacht. And, if you already know exactly what that plane-of-level that hull will set-at in water once completed... so the bubble makes sense at this still early-building dry-dock stage... then, my hat's way off to ya. Cause, You B Scary Smart!! :D

Enjoy your every hour building bro! Once your done boredom will takeover and your next project might be twice as BIG! Now, that's SCARY!!

Happy Boat Builden Daze - Art :speed boat:

Allo allo. Thanks for your msg mate. That spirit level is 2400mm long and is being used as a straight edge as well as levelling across the Port and Starboard axis. The bow to stern axis on each level are parallel to each other but level I'm not sure. Not really critical as it's a variable so haven't really thought about it but I do put a fair bit of effort in to ensure that the surfaces on the Bow the Stern Axis's are parallel with each other.

?

Hendo,does your framing have limber holes to allow water to run rear ward to the bilge pumps?That's some robust framing.Limber holes shouldn't make a difference in strength.

Hi,
Yes, any bilge water will be able to flow to three centrally located bilge pumps divided by bulkheads. One in the fwd section, one mid ships and one aft.

Looking good Matt. Just one thing re your macerator pump idea. It's a good one, and I did the same - had to - but make sure the pump is about the level of the tank or only barely above it, because the claims they make for them being self-priming can be, well…let's just say…exaggerated. Certainly the TMC one is useless for that, mine is only just above the tank top and would never self prime, and I had to set a tap arrangement so I could actually flush the toilet down the tank outlet line to the pump every time to prime it, then reset them all again to pump out. The Jabsco one would be better - just costs more. Johnson would also have one, but I have no idea how good it is for self-priming. Small, but important point. Boy I envy you being able to start and do all that stuff from scratch before everything is closed in and confined.

Hi Pete,
Thanks mate. With the pump in the engine room, I am fortunate enough to have it sit below the bottom of the tank assisting in it priming (I hope) ... The tank is sitting about 200mm up from the keel. The pump I got is a Jabsco one. Hopefully it works well. The toilet will be a Jabsco saltwater flush unit with a macerator on it to feed it all into the holding tank but priming shouldn't be an issue as the toilet will be above the holding tank. Well, that's how it's played out in my head. Whether or not it works is yet to be determined lol

Do you have any Vented loops on the discharge hose from the holding tank? I wasn't going to bother but now I'm thinking maybe I should but then I'm like well the seacock will only be open during discharge which is a whole of 3mins and then shut afterwards so don't see the value in it. If I were leaving the seacock open all the time then yes. Like the saltwater intake to the toilet. I will put a vented loop on that cause she'll be open all the time or shouldn't I bother on the toilet cause it has a shut off valve??? ... So much reading has confused the sh!t out of me. (Pun intended)

What's your thoughts?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410769592.938215.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you have it sussed well Matt. The Jabsco should work well. My TMC has corroded solid now so I will replace it with a Jabsco - which is supposed to be self-priming for a metre height at least. However, the TMC claimed that when I bought it. I notice they don't now.

As to the vented loop. No, I agree with you. I did not do that for the pump out line because, as you say, when not actually pumping out the seacock, (and in my case, another tap in the out line), are closed completely. I am a great believer in KISS.
The intake for raw water is a different matter, but as my loo is above the waterline, it has a valve in line as you say, and the loo actually slowly drains over time anyway, so I don't have a vented loop in that either - works for me. Vented loops are really more critical for those with enough water capacity to have fresh water flush, and water just must not siphon back from loo to tank, obviously.

Last edited:
Hi,
Yes, any bilge water will be able to flow to three centrally located bilge pumps divided by bulkheads. One in the fwd section, one mid ships and one aft.

:thumb: Looking back through pics,I see that now. :facepalm:

Well it's Saturday so I started bashing away at the boat again. I picked up a 930x930x2000 shower cubicle and toughened safety glass shower screen during the week so took that down and dry fitted it. I bought some reducers and a 40mm hose barb for the shower drain so it can go straight in to the 40mm fitting of the sump pump kit. I finished of the sub floor, and installed the toilet waste tank and ply cover. Tomorrow I'll start framing out for the cubicle and toilet. My sine wave inverter arrived during the week also. Was surprised at how big it is. Have to rethink about where I can put it now. Didn't expect it to be so big ?? tho if i had read the description better I would have seen the size :-/

Where had everyone put their inverter?

Well that's all for now. Flics hinting at me to start the BBQ so better go!

Cheers for looking

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411205548.984921.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411205569.055424.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411205587.875668.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411205656.226201.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411205684.156850.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411205709.728152.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411205882.379578.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411205976.667850.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411205999.268685.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411206051.828606.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411206123.795569.jpg

Hendo

I need to work to pay my bills. Retirement is one year ahead!!! Still....
In Octuber I am taking Rainha home...850 miles, wanna come?

Hendo

I need to work to pay my bills. Retirement is one year ahead!!! Still....
In Octuber I am taking Rainha home...850 miles, wanna come?

Fwoar I'd love to come ... Stop teasing haha ??? ... That would be a great voyage mate.

Our inverter is on the lazzerette bulkhead if that helps any.

Back
Top Bottom