Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't see why T ing it into a vent wouldn't work. The vent will have negative pressure when the engine is running and whether or not you fill that 'vacuum' with fuel or air seems immaterial?

Even if the tank were full to the tippy top, the engine will burn some of it so unless you've invented a way to make fuel (where do I sign up?) you will not run fuel out the vent.

If you can get into the tank, put an elbow and pipe to an inch from the top of the tank on the inside for the return. I would not use the side connection otherwise. I wonder what it was used for originally?

Nah totally sealed bar the filler neck which is 3inches. There are 5 outlets all up and I assume because it is off a road train truck then it has something to do with that and balancing them etc.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I can't see why T ing it into a vent wouldn't work. The vent will have negative pressure when the engine is running and whether or not you fill that 'vacuum' with fuel or air seems immaterial?

Even if the tank were full to the tippy top, the engine will burn some of it so unless you've invented a way to make fuel (where do I sign up?) you will not run fuel out the vent.

On paper it works for me too mate, but at the boat it's a different story due to the location of the proposed vent line with the engine return pipe and the fact the return line is pressurised etc.

I rang my mate who owns Perth Diesel Exchange and asked him. He advises that the diesel return must not be submerged. It has to drip/spray into the tank. He said if for some reason the tank pressurised then the engine will swallow a heap of go go juice. He also said that the weight of the diesel will cause issue and create a syphoning effect, again causing failure of the Perkins. He did say the return line can be tapped back into the filter instead of the tank but that's a lot of work that I'm not too bothered to take on at this stage. He did ask why I don't just put a vented cap on. Everyone went quiet and you could hear a pin drop lol. Yeah good idea mate! I'll just put on a vented diesel filler cap. That way I can run the diesel return line to the fitting at the top of the tank and all will be sweet :)

Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier lol.

Happy days!

Last edited:
"He did say the return line can be tapped back into the filter instead of the tank but that's a lot of work that I'm not too bothered to take on at this stage."

Matt, that's how my Lehman is set up. The return line just goes back to the primary filter near the aft end of he engine. It is set up on a floor support about level with the secondary filters. The system works well, and appears blindingly simple. When I have heard others discussing other more complicated systems to return the excess to the tanks, I have often wondered why bother, when this system works so well.
Why do you think it would be difficult to do..?

Last edited:
They make a return line adaptor that "T"s into the fill line. Man of your talent could make one up pretty easy. Google...

Moroso EFI Fuel Return Line Kit

"He did say the return line can be tapped back into the filter instead of the tank but that's a lot of work that I'm not too bothered to take on at this stage."

Matt, that's how my Lehman is set up. The return line just goes back to the primary filter near the aft end of he engine. It is set up on a floor support about level with the secondary filters. The system works well, and appears blindingly simple. When I have heard others discussing other more complicated systems to return the excess to the tanks, I have often wondered why bother, when this system works so well.
Why do you think it would be difficult to do..?

Do you have a picture at all? I can't picture what you're explaining.

They make a return line adaptor that "T"s into the fill line. Man of your talent could make one up pretty easy. Google...

Moroso EFI Fuel Return Line Kit

Yeah I best google before I hit the Port tho cause everything becomes difficult once I start sipping lol

Pete,
is it as simple as putting a tube fitting into the side where i have indicated with the arrows?

obviously it would have to go into the one with the arrow facing the flow into the filter.

is this what you mean?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 97
  • 302001-3.jpg
    302001-3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 258
Yeah I best google before I hit the Port tho cause everything becomes difficult once I start sipping lol

Best Port I every found was a Tawny called Gallway Pipe that an Aussie friend used to bring me by the case. Not expensive either...

Best Port I every found was a Tawny called Gallway Pipe that an Aussie friend used to bring me by the case. Not expensive either...

Nice. Will have to try that. ATM I'm on a bottle of 1980 Talijancich solero blend No.2... Made in Perth and yummy. Another one of my faves is Woodstock Muscat and Woodstock 40y/o fortified

Can't wait to be floating on AXE sipping away in the middle of nowhere.

Pete,
is it as simple as putting a tube fitting into the side where i have indicated with the arrows?

obviously it would have to go into the one with the arrow facing the flow into the filter.

is this what you mean?
Pretty much, but I'm down to the boat tomorrow, Sunday am, so I'll take some pics and post them. Not a part of my boat's anatomy I would normally think to photograph until now.

Hi all,

Chased the wires for the engine room downlights

Acoustic and Thermal flooring batts in and fitted. Should be lovely and quiet as well as being warm in winter and cool in summer once I stick this stuff in every nook and cranny possible :dance:

All Floor panels are now on WOOH HOO ...:dance: ... Just have to finish epoxying the joins, glass them and then can focus on the superstructure! :thumb:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 2 (2).jpg
    2 (2).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 102
  • 3 (2).jpg
    3 (2).jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 6 (2).jpg
    6 (2).jpg
    74 KB · Views: 86
  • 7 (2).jpg
    7 (2).jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 8 (2).jpg
    8 (2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 9 (2).jpg
    9 (2).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Your tenacity blows me away - Good on ya!

Fuel return line

Hi Hendo Matt, here are the pics of my fuel return line set-up. Much as you sussed out previously, but surely a no-brainer in terms of simplicity.
Sorry by engine room is a bit cruddy. Just rejoice in the fact yours is all shite and briny new. It might change a bit over the next 40 years.

In the first pick the return line is the thinner one come right to left just in front of the heat exchanger. The second pick is self-explanatory showing that thinner tube entering the top of the primary filter to the right of the main engine feed line. The primary filter is actually lower than I thought - more in line with the top of the gearbox.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 99
Hi Hendo Matt, here are the pics of my fuel return line set-up. Much as you sussed out previously, but surely a no-brainer in terms of simplicity.

Sorry by engine room is a bit cruddy. Just rejoice in the fact yours is all shite and briny new. It might change a bit over the next 40 years.

In the first pick the return line is the thinner one come right to left just in front of the heat exchanger. The second pick is self-explanatory showing that thinner tube entering the top of the primary filter to the right of the main engine feed line. The primary filter is actually lower than I thought - more in line with the top of the gearbox.

Lovely. Thanks for the pics! Appreciated mate

I agree with Peter B on this as if you start to go higher especially with the length of the boat the proportions will not look right.
6'6" caters for most people.
If they are taller than that they probably can't sleep on board anyway and at that size would probably drink too much and overload the refrigeration.
Just sayin!!!!

Cheers
Benn

[QUOTE=Tidahapah

"6'6" caters for most people.
If they are taller than that they probably can't sleep on board anyway and at that size would probably drink too much and overload the refrigeration."

Well that settles it then.

Tidahapah "6'6" caters for most people. If they are taller than that they probably can't sleep on board anyway and at that size would probably drink too much and overload the refrigeration." Well that settles it then.[/QUOTE said:
Not too many NBA small boat owners! :dance: :lol:

I have a son and 2 grandsons that are 6'5" tall. They appreciate the 6' 8" height in Moonstruck's living areas, and yes they can sleep aboard.

I have a son and 2 grandsons that are 6'5" tall. They appreciate the 6' 8" height in Moonstruck's living areas, and yes they can sleep aboard.

Yo, Don - In decision to purchase your really nice boat... on scale of 1 to 10... at what level (no pun attended) did you consider your 3 boys' height? :D

Last edited:

Ah, but how often are they likely to be aboard..?

Well, Peter I have had the boat 10 years. They have all been on the boat many times including a couple of cruises over to the Bahamas. Who knows it could be my sons boat one day.

Well, Peter I have had the boat 10 years. They have all been on the boat many times including a couple of cruises over to the Bahamas. Who knows it could be my sons boat one day.

Ok, fair enough. Actually Don, you don't know how lucky you are...or maybe you do. With one son and all our grandchildren over in London, and the other son about to join them, outings with family and grandchildren are very rare and precious for us, and not something it would have paid to use to dictate any specs for the boat, for sure...

Ok, fair enough. Actually Don, you don't know how lucky you are...or maybe you do. With one son and all our grandchildren over in London, and the other son about to join them, outings with family and grandchildren are very rare and precious for us, and not something it would have paid to use to dictate any specs for the boat, for sure...

Peter, I will post this, and let Matt get back to his thread. Yes, I do know how lucky I am. My oldest son is on the boat with me this week. He is a writer, and can take his work with him. This while my other son is running our business. With my having lost my wife, and them their mother and grandmother we are closer than ever. We realize how important it is. I truly have been blessed with this and Lou. She lost her husband about 10 years ago. Her two and my two grandchildren get along well and are best of friends.

Peter, I will post this, and let Matt get back to his thread..

Nah all good mate. I enjoy all input and thread creeps. Keeps it interesting :thumb:

Its a community built thread. Not a "Hendo only" banging on about a pile of wood and epoxy thread :lol:

Post and you shall be heard my friend :rofl:

Ive decided to go for 7 foot ceilings so I can run a grab rail down the middle and not worry about smacking my head on it. that and the sliding door I have is to suit a 2100 mm high opening

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1670.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1673.JPG
    IMG_1673.JPG