Old 02-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #741
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I would think it would be easier to work on the topsides fwd where there's flair w the hull inverted.

How much do you think the hull weighs now Hendo? Got any idea or are you right on to of the weight factor? Sounds like a lot of plastic has gone on your hull.

The Jotun is the same color as the epoxy we used to fill all the screw holes on the cabin sides of Willy after we took of all the teak trim boards. Tollycraft boats were done in a very similar color. Easy to use and I'm considering using it to fill the blisters in June. I think it was a 3M "Epoxy Marine Filler". The guys at our boat yard introduced us to it.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #742
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I would think it would be easier to work on the topsides fwd where there's flair w the hull inverted.

How much do you think the hull weighs now Hendo? Got any idea or are you right on to of the weight factor? Sounds like a lot of plastic has gone on your hull.

The Jotun is the same color as the epoxy we used to fill all the screw holes on the cabin sides of Willy after we took of all the teak trim boards. Tollycraft boats were done in a very similar color. Easy to use and I'm considering using it to fill the blisters in June. I think it was a 3M "Epoxy Marine Filler". The guys at our boat yard introduced us to it.
Gday Eric.
How are you mate? ... sorry mate, I don't have a clue on weight atm mate ... just case of doing what needs to be done and whatever shes weighs, she will weigh. Based on her last weigh in when the crane picked her up to flip her, and what's been added since, I would say she would be around the 3 Tonne mark. I did a rough estimate and she came in at around 10 to 15 tonne finished and loaded - minus people.

Yeah I'm impress with the Jotun. There are probably a few versions of it around the place so we are probably talking comparatively with 3M and Jotun etc.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #743
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
G'day Hendo,

Looks good! Say do you have a projected date you're thinking of splashing The Axe? I'm thinking there are more than a few Yanks over here that would like to see that happen.

Cheers
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:01 AM   #744
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Yeah, when AXE is ready to splash, we will need the full monty, HD video, narrated with music!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #745
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
G'day Hendo,

Looks good! Say do you have a projected date you're thinking of splashing The Axe? I'm thinking there are more than a few Yanks over here that would like to see that happen.

Cheers
Hi Dave,
yeah honestly mate, i don't have any idea of splashdown. Sorry mate. Ive been saying 12months left to go since i started.

I'll post pics and videos as i do of our progress

Thanks for following
cheers
Hendo
Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 AM   #746
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Yeah, when AXE is ready to splash, we will need the full monty, HD video, narrated with music!
yeah don't worry mate. I'll be banging on with pics and videos yall be telling me to shut up.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #747
Guru

City: coos bay
Hendo, your boat is still belly up and its been over a year...geez.....yur poor yacht is gonna get used to being belly up and that may cause issues when you turn her upside down and launch her.

To avoid problems I suspect you better make sure before she hits the water you give her a good cleaning and armor by performing all the proper rituals as per the old ones before water touches her sunny side < bottom, keel >. Oh, after and before the rituals begin we all will send our good will to maximize her fortitude, strength, insuring her a long and happy life. Our good wishes and power will arrive from all corners of the globe via the old ones to protect her and her crew, forever!.
Would be nice if we all could be there in person......
Aborigines know the old ones intimately but may have another name for them. They would likely be able to direct you to the proper rituals to insure the protection of the old ones.

B
Old 03-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #748
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Wow mate, time to go to work.

Thanks a bunch
Attached Thumbnails
image-3617312293.jpg   image-4056464331.jpg  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #749
Guru

City: coos bay
chuckle......You know back when I was tuned in it was scary. You would not have wanted to be around me then cause you would never know what I would tell you.

Hey, that picture of your Owens was not taken at Islton where was it taken? Looks like the area across from Vierra's resort?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #750
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Hendo. I don't know why I never noticed the resemblance before. A relative perhaps? The gentleman second from left....

Old 03-03-2014, 03:20 AM   #751
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Wow mate, time to go to work.

Thanks a bunch
Heyyy my present made it to you safely ... That was pretty quick!

Well now you have no excuses for dodgy wiring and getting sunburnt on the owens

If I have another brain fade when buying gear, i'll be sure to let you know ...
Old 03-03-2014, 03:25 AM   #752
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Hendo. I don't know why I never noticed the resemblance before. A relative perhaps? The gentleman second from left....
... I might try and apply to get some royalty payments ...
Old 03-03-2014, 03:39 AM   #753
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Hendo, your boat is still belly up and its been over a year...geez.....yur poor yacht is gonna get used to being belly up and that may cause issues when you turn her upside down and launch her.

To avoid problems I suspect you better make sure before she hits the water you give her a good cleaning and armor by performing all the proper rituals as per the old ones before water touches her sunny side < bottom, keel >. Oh, after and before the rituals begin we all will send our good will to maximize her fortitude, strength, insuring her a long and happy life. Our good wishes and power will arrive from all corners of the globe via the old ones to protect her and her crew, forever!.
Would be nice if we all could be there in person......
Aborigines know the old ones intimately but may have another name for them. They would likely be able to direct you to the proper rituals to insure the protection of the old ones.

B
Ummmm Hey Brit ... HAHA ...

Dude Im confused ... ...
Attached Thumbnails
3598759-2365987535-g1337.jpg  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:54 AM   #754
Guru

Hey All ...
Not a lot of new stuff to talk about at the moment. We are still sanding and fairing and sanding etc etc etc. there's only so many pictures i can take at different times to show you but all end up looking the same

My new Hutchins Hustler Air Sander arrived and is a Weapon!!! ... She is making light work of flat sanding and is a pleasure to use ...

I order another 20 @ 2400mm x 1200mm x 18mm ply sheets. Hopefully they will rock up this week so I can finish off the hull.

Away from AXE, Flic and I took our kayaks out and went and swung off our mooring last night to watch the sunset and have a glass of wine. It was so pretty. Neither of us can wait to do it in AXE. Im stoked with the view out at our mooring.

I can see us spending hundreds and thousands of hours just swinging off the hook drinking the sunset away

Well that's all for now folks ...

for following ...

Cheers
Hendo
Attached Thumbnails
1-2.jpg   2-7.jpg   3-5.jpg  
Old 03-07-2014, 02:32 AM   #755
Guru

Hi Folks
My Bulkheads, flooring and cabin arrived today

I am pre-coating them with epoxy before taking them to site.

I am going to take a break from sanding for a couple of days so i can finish off building the hull. I envisage having it sheeted, filled and glassed by Sunday.

I have to fly over to the Gold Coast on Monday for a few days and apparently rain is coming when im gone so I need to hook in this weekend and get it waterproof

I have been toying with different ideas for spreading the fine fairing filler. I tried a straight edge which worked well be once I tilted it back a little, it flexed and gave a concave shape. Ive used all sorts of gadgets and when I was in the shower it dawned on me, GLASS ... Why not use a piece of glass ... I went down to the glass shop and grabbed a piece of safety glass 1000mm x 150mm x 6mm. No matter which way I roll it or twist it, it remains straight! ...

ok well that's all for the moment. Will post more pics in the coming days!
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20140305_001.jpg   WP_20140305_002.jpg   WP_20140305_003.jpg   IMG_1014.JPG   IMG_1013.JPG  

IMG_1012.JPG  
Old 03-07-2014, 06:15 AM   #756
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Hendo, That's a cool tool wagon you have. I would duct tape that piece of glass up so it's easier to handle.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:41 AM   #757
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Hendo, That's a cool tool wagon you have. I would duct tape that piece of glass up so it's easier to handle.
Thanks mate. That's my Ute. She is an Australian made HOLDEN VZ One Tonner with a HSV 6.0L V8

Good idea Re: glass mate. Will do that for sure
Old 03-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #758
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
I went down to the glass shop and grabbed a piece of safety glass 1000mm x 150mm x 6mm. No matter which way I roll it or twist it, it remains straight!
50 meter and larger boats are faired by a few guys who use trowels of the same sort used to smooth cement or plaster. They load a pile of fairing on a "hod" sort of board and use the trowel to apply it and smooth it as well as possible.

It's all in the technique and you will learn it by doing it. That glass thing looks pretty scary and I don't see it lasting long.

As an aside, you might get better faster results by having the hull finished before fairing as it will let you make long runs or sweeps and avoid what will show through as a patchwork of seams. There are no shortcuts to fairing and sanding. Trowels and longboards are going to be part of your life for a while if you are looking for a yacht finish.

The pics show how larger boats are done, yours is the same job, just on a smaller scale but the same process and techniques apply.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairing final.jpg   longboarding.jpg  
Attached Images

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #759
Guru

Thanks Rick,
Appreciate your advice but c'mon now, when have I ever done the "Norm" or do what everyone else does ??? ... ... ... Im Always looking for new ways or to improve ways to do things mate. You're probably right about the glass but its worth a shot IMHO

I have finished the construction on the side I am fairing . One side at a time for me. I don't have the pleasure of multiple guys or slow drying epoxy ... I probably should have explained my process and rationale better. I am applying the Jotun with the trowel and hawk and will be getting it smooth and level like I do when I am plastering houses and ceilings. The glass will be a final wipe over taking off a small skim. I will do it horizontally a couple of times, then vertically a couple of times. In saying that tho, this will only work on the aft sections upto the mid sections. When I move fwd to the bow, the hull flares come in to play so the glass will be no good, in either direction. Come to think of it, my you beaut straight air sander wont work their either ...

Kind of like the last video (bottom right)
http://www.flexicat-tools.com/en/fle...eo-gallery.php
Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #760
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Matt Me Aussie Bud! Besides giving you full standing applause for all you and Flic are accomplishing on AXE.... such as I stand and provide upon each of your posts – lol

My hint to you when applying surface product to match bow flare: Small (6” to 8” long X 3” to 4” wide) radius ends "pool trowel" of light weight (flexible) steel material for product application off hawk. When you have surface just about perfect take a BIG construction sponge saturated (damp but not dripping) with kerosene (diesel fuel might do too) and gently work out any small remaining ridges. Then, as you know... sand till your undies get in a wad... to reach a finely faired surface finish.

Take two aspirin and contact me in the morning if problems persist! LMAO

Happy Boat Building Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote