Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cut out some spacers for the portholes and splashed around some glue fillet epoxy on a panel to finish off the bulwark. I found some 7mm ply so cut some up to begin to taper off the 20mm strips on the rubbing strake and finish off the curve. I had a bit of a site clean up and put the sliding door and Windows under cover. Was a good day getting odd jobs done.

Back in to it tomorrow ??

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464771709.056469.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464771725.443539.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464771736.410729.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464771748.720322.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464771758.765002.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Cut out some spacers for the portholes and splashed around some glue fillet epoxy on a panel to finish off the bulwark. I found some 7mm ply so cut some up to begin to taper off the 20mm strips on the rubbing strake and finish off the curve. I had a bit of a site clean up and put the sliding door and Windows under cover. Was a good day getting odd jobs done.

Back in to it tomorrow ����

You're beginning to use the Root Word... SPLASH!! :dance:

Don't mean to be a naysayer Matt. Knowing how two steps forward and three steps back can impinge upon the energy and ego of a true creator... such as yourself. But, I too am not in favor of pictured positioning for ER vent holes. Think carefully on what alternatives you may have. Maybe you do know of vent louver system that closes completely when broadside wave hits... or... maybe you have way to divert incoming water and rout it immediately back overboard. If there is one thing I've gotten to know about you... is that you'll figure out this puzzle too! :thumb: :D

when pooped there is no way to drain any water the closure must be tight or you go blub blub and you may look up at the fishies. I had this happen in a searay sundancer the stern was under water long enough for lots of outside water to get inside the engine compartment. The water when i looked wae halfway up the side of the engine but it was still running and the pumps also. What saved me was that searay uses only a small vent adequate for the volume of the engine room which restricted the amount of water that could come in. If the vents had been installed that were way bigger than the minimum needed i would have went blub blub and likely wouldnt be writing this.

BIGGER IS NOT BETTER FOR VENTS that may be submerged for periods of time depending on the sea. That sr of mine was exposed to many captains errors and angry seas and bars. Great go fast boat for protected waters

Firefly's comment reminded me of my experiance above. Thanks Firefly

Last edited:
Changed your mind? building a Sub-Marine now? :ermm::ermm:

Attachments

• Trawler Forum1464691355.310568.jpg
    Trawler Forum1464691355.310568.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 276
Changed your mind? building a Sub-Marine now? :ermm::ermm:

:rofl:......those vents do look like submarine water intakes don't they? Very nice looking ones. The advantage here is that you won't need to use much fishing line when fishing and you may be able to get by with only a short handled net.....chuckle...
and no need to carry ground tackle just take on a bit more water. What an idea.....chuckle.....

Hummmmm...nope, won't work cause there would be no way to keep the beer that dosent float away cold!

Last edited:
:rofl:......those vents do look like submarine water intakes don't they? Very nice looking ones. The advantage here is that you won't need to use much fishing line when fishing and you may be able to get by with only a short handled net.....chuckle...
and no need to carry ground tackle just take on a bit more water. What an idea.....chuckle.....

Hummmmm...nope, won't work cause there would be no way to keep the beer that dosent float away cold!

Not only the looks, the location aswell...

Not only the looks, the location aswell...

Have you two finished? Perhaps you could take it offline and stop shitting on my post.

Reiziger this is your first post(s) on my build? ... You don't know me well enough to make crass comments so please make it your last, you're not welcome here.

Constructive criticism is welcome but being a wanker isn't.

Have you two finished? Perhaps you could take it offline and stop shitting on my post.

Reiziger this is your first post(s) on my build? ... You don't know me well enough to make crass comments so please make it your last, you're not welcome here.

Constructive criticism is welcome but being a wanker isn't.

Thanks my friend...

I doubt that those two could appreciate what a 'wanker' is being yanks, although they would make good company for each other :D.

No as a dutchman, begrijp ik dat niet..

Btw this still is an open forum where i post where i want.........

True this is an open forum, why choose to be "that guy"?

This forum and this topic in particular is a source of ideas, inspiration and entertainment to many...don't be a troll.

I doubt that those two could appreciate what a 'wanker' is being yanks, although they would make good company for each other :D.

True this is an open forum, why choose to be "that guy"?

This forum and this topic in particular is a source of ideas, inspiration and entertainment to many...don't be a troll.

All good fellas. He had a chance to pull his head in and he kept being a smart arse so just another one added to the ignore list. Makes no difference to me. Onwards and upwards.

Matt
I could not find a Randell 35 listed, but this 34 seems to have air intakes at the stern. Up as high as possible, utilizing the cavity between the hull and cockpit sides.

Randell used to build in North Fremantle, I once lived within walking distance of their yard. Don't know if they still build, but it might be worthwhile trying to talk to them or their designer about what you are planning.

0_4.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a shot of a Randell 38 fishing charter boat. It has had ducts built up on both sides from the ER, with some SS vents inside the cockpit, up high. I like that idea, but wonder if the vents are a little small.

bp5054696584743078893.jpg

Matt
I could not find a Randell 35 listed, but this 34 seems to have air intakes at the stern. Up as high as possible, utilizing the cavity between the hull and cockpit sides.

Randell used to build in North Fremantle, I once lived within walking distance of their yard. Don't know if they still build, but it might be worthwhile trying to talk to them or their designer about what you are planning.

0_4.jpg

Ah were you a freo boy? I live about 15mins from Fremantle.

Thanks for the pic. I see what you're saying but when I was looking at ideas for air intakes there were no real stand outs on location.

I get what everyone is saying about being too low and taking on water but the vents I cut are at the top of the engine room, will be about 800mm above the water line, are shielded at the bottom by the rub rail which could act as a slop stopper, will have a dorade box and drain attached to them. Perhaps I need to look at a sealed dorade box set up with a gooseneck like my exhaust? Not sure. One post said bigger the better now I'm hearing bigger isn't better.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464846821.321851.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464846855.128332.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464846865.661775.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464846883.831263.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464846896.549573.jpg

Unless the boat lists like this then I'm not totally sold that the boat will sink from taking swell on the side. What's the likelihood of listing that far over? Am i underestimating this situation?

I might have to seal them up and rely on exhaust fans

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464847607.958045.jpg

Grew up in country Victoria, but second job was in West Perth and I shared a house in Nth Freo for a couple of years.

A big issue with low external vents is if you broach crossing a bar or with big following seas. Here's a story for you to look at
69.1 degrees | MV Dirona

I'd be very nervous of using the current cut-outs you have.

Grew up in country Victoria, but second job was in West Perth and I shared a house in Nth Freo for a couple of years.

A big issue with low external vents is if you broach crossing a bar or with big following seas. Here's a story for you to look at
69.1 degrees | MV Dirona

I'd be very nervous of using the current cut-outs you have.

Thanks for the link mate. 69 deg in a Nordy..! Would love to have seen a pic of that.

That's a savage sea in poor weather. Not sure I'll ever be in that situation; well I hope not anyway.

Matt, I can see there is a concern there. By the way, what capacity is your engine again..? Also what revs are you going to be cruising at..? I doubt it is going to be a planing proposition, so the vents don't have to be quite that big. FWIW, my 120hp Lehman is easily served by 4 vents which take the form of a rectangular tube arrangement about 10 x 6cm aperture, that comes up from the ER through into the saloon, but hidden in cupboards or under built in seating, and open out on the outside of the saloon walls about each corner, (more or less), and covered with vents that prevent incidental rain and splashes going down. Is it possible you could rig up something along those lines. That is, PVC type tubes or similar (rectangular or square rather than round), passing up from the ER in places where you could turn them with a right angle to vent, (or actually suck), through a covered vent in the low saloon wall..?

I'm going down to the boat tomorrow - having another attempt to repair of the fridge, with the help of a fridgy. I will take a few shots to demonstrate, but I think a guy with your skills has already picked up on what I'm trying to describe.

PS. I can understand it would break your heart a bit to cover those vents you made, as they are, as with everything else, beautifully done - works of bloody art mate - but if you saved the cut-outs, you could epoxy them back in, and no-one need ever know. Our lips are sealed...right guys..?

Last edited:
Matt, My vents come through the floor directly into the rail and vent to the inside. Kinda like that picture of the head boat.

Matt - Don't know if images I copied off net will come out here... but some links probably will. I see ways you could place reverse facing vent apparatus onto where you cut out wherein the length of vent cowl that extends past your cut holes so far past the holes that even with broadside waves there would be little to no water entry; easy for bilge pump to handle. Also, as a side note: I don't know when engine room vents on hull sides became the "in-thing" for boats... but... way back when the engine vents were forward and reverse cowls on side decks with hose that extended to engine room. Chris Craft woodies were famous for their topside vents that were usually right against the superstructure on side decks. That made it near impossible for water entry; unless of course a boat was going blub, blub do to some other cause.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName=ventilation&category=674&refine=1&page=GRID

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/vents-fans-hatches-and-windows/engine-room-vents

Mine are on the inside of the bulwarks - sorry, photo fell over! I have also since cleaned up the butyl tape.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 62
Well I guess I'll be busy patching them bloody holes up and flushing the area again ... Farrrrrrrrrrrk it :-/

Oh well; thanks everyone for the input and concern shown. I appreciate the constructive comments.

Last edited:
How about patching them with thick Lexan cut to fit the cutout area, then you would have natural light below.
Mike

Matt me mate... I shed a tear for your having to take s couple steps back on this one... but... a whole lot less tears than if you went blub, blub with your artistic boat in the future due to a simple misjudgment regarding ER vent placements!

You're a champ!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom