Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Old 02-19-2015, 11:41 AM   #1541
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
time to cowboy up!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Glad you said it mate, saved me the trouble

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #1542
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Matt,
REALLY sorry to hear bout the lost lass.
Really sorry.

When you launch Axe we will all feel like wer'e part of her.
And you too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #1543
Guru

City: Duncan Cove, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Matt, we're all with you and many of us have been where you are. Bear up.

Oh right, the boat - looking fantastic!
Old 02-20-2015, 01:35 AM   #1544
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Yeah yeah ok let's get back to Talkin boats again now please.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #1545

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Yeah yeah ok let's get back to Talkin boats again now please.

Boats.... spend a week in Brasil

CeesH
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #1546
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Roger. Boats...

Old 02-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #1547
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Boats, not goats.....

Old 02-21-2015, 03:23 AM   #1548
Guru

Starting fitting the windows. They are bloody tight. Need to trim 5mm of the opening so stopped and went on to fitting the steel for the roof bulkheads/strengthening beams. Did the Portside. Stbd side tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424506840.595928.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	37585

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424506896.002865.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	37586

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424506912.251406.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	37587

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424506945.487910.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	37588

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424506962.774636.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	37589

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424506979.657086.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	37590

Old 02-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #1549
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. H. Outstanding! You're wise to leave some "slop" in the window fittings as the frames will NOT move, whereas the surrounding wood, most assuredly, will. While you're at the task of trimming, will 5mm be sufficient? Do you have the flange width to trim a bit more?
Old 02-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #1550
Guru

Hi RT,
Yeah I'll trim 5mm of all sides which is 10mm taken off the total opening so that should be enough I think.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #1551
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Powerful lot o' work! - Get it on!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:25 AM   #1552
Guru

RT,
Putting some "slop" in the window fit for wood expansion .. You mean for general boat movement at sea or that and wood swelling?

Old 02-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #1553
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. mb. A bit of both. All parts of pretty well any vehicle flex due to temperature change, vibration, humidity and phases of the moon (immediately unknown or non obvious reasons) I'm quite sure Mr. H could fit those windows within a few thousands of an inch clearance but upon movement, something's gotta give and the "weakest" link in this case is the glass. Belt and suspenders IMO. That being said, there ARE situations where a nice tight fit is desirable but I feel this is not one of them.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #1554

City: Enumclaw
Vessel Name: Vivian Faye
Vessel Model: 2660
I bet those long aluminum side window frames in the hot sun will grow 1/4 or more. Using butyl rubber sealing tape will help make them stay water tight with the movement.
motogizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #1555
Guru

City: Duncan Cove, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Steel, wood, aluminum, all will expand and contract at different rates. Lots of 'loose' will save you some grief.

A small word of advice, if you hadn't thought of this, don't be tempted to attach anything to those steel beams such that the fasteners will penetrate whatever ceiling treatment you decide on. Having seen the results, attach wood stringers to the steel then attach the ceiling to the stringers. The PO of my boat attached the ceiling ply directly to the aluminum beams and therefore the fasteners were the same temperature as the beams. Cold. Warm, humid air from the living quarters touched the fasteners and water condensed, causing constant damp above the ceiling finish and allowing mold to grow and the fasteners to corrode. The whole ceiling and all the panelling on the walls had to come down (I love a fire!) and it's been a lot of work to finish. Not done yet but it will be a lot snazzier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	37604  
Old 02-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #1556
Guru

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Keep your chin up Matt . We are all behind you . Windows a look great. . You always motivate me to get back in the shop . Thanks man .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #1557

Matt,

I just did the first float test on my boat. I still have a lot of construction to do, but I have been worried about the attitude she would have in the water. I was right to worry because she is sitting very low in the water, and has a nose down attitude. This will change as I add weight in the aft end. The sitting low in the water will be ongoing. It will be an issue with my deck drains potentially backing water into the cockpit when we have a bunch of guys, bait, gear, ice and fish on board. I have the option to make corrective actions at this point, and I will do that.

I know I have said this before, but I do so now with even more conviction. Take her to the water and do a float test on her after all the major weight is on board, and before you have her totally finished out. At this stage moving components to change her weight distribution will be easy. After your 30 minute float bring her back to the property and finish her out.

You have made so many great changes. You have stated that you are not a naval engineer.

I would take several barrels and have a pump where you can fill the barrels to trim her during that float. so you will now where the weight needs to change relative to the where you want the waterline. Great opportunity to mark were the waterline were it needs to be painted on.

I know this seems to be a big consumption of time, transport, and money that may not be value added, but I believe that in the end you will be very gland you did! For me there is a lake 20 minutes away.

Just looking out for you man, and not saying any of this to piss you off. If this had been just parts changes and a big components add, I would not be that worried. You widened her and stretched her. Changed the free board, and added a built in swim platform....... this is a lot of change for a boat.

If you get her in the water and that swim platform is under water 3 inches you are going to be unhappy. If you need to add 1000 pounds of fuel or water tanks to the stern to make her sit in the water right you can do that much less costly before she is totally polished out.

I suspect that seeing her sitting in the water will be a level of inspiration that will really boost your sprits.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #1558
Guru

I agree motogizmo.

But it would be a big effort. A middle of the road thought would be to observe other boats as Axe isn't a strange design regarding beam and deadrise. There are the issues you mentioned re Matt's changes to the original design.

Boats are pointed fwd and mostly square aft so there's much more flotation aft and it varies w boats. Many trawlers float (even underway) bow down in appearence but in pics one can't see the underwater hull so some to many may be in trim despite what appears to be.

And if Matt is planing on running Axe over 8 knots the trim (as you mentioned I think) is even more important.

Good observation and advice moto.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #1559

Mat,

Can I suggest that minimum put 800 to 1000 pounds of gravel bagged up in the low keel when you launch for the first time, and have more ready if you need it. I really truly believe that you will need additional ballast down low to make her stable.

By increasing her (length and width) displacement you have moved her center of gravity up. By increasing her freeboard more of the same. Big windows, and steel in the upper superstructure (look great)...... the center of gravity moves farther and farther up. Once the CG gets above the water line SHE WILL ROLL OVER!!! That 800 pound Perkins only looks to be partially below waterline. The fuel tank looks to be splitting the waterline. The waterline is completely imaginary this point. I am worried for you my friend.

By using gravel or sand you can dump it without crating an environmental disaster. It will be easy to move for and aft. ITs cheep or free. You can move it around to get your rim right. I suspect you will be top heavy, and a (small ) risk of a roll over. I don't say any of this to piss you off, but I really want you to be safe! I hope all of my worry is for not.

I would also recommend NOT putting a bunch of fuel on board at first. If something goes wrong up here they charge you by the gallon. In the US that can be 10,000$ per gallon of oil on board if they can prove willful negligence.

I know there are several of you that are regular followers of this thread that are thinking the same thing. If we have a naval architect in the group that could help with some real weight and balance calculations please pipe in here.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #1560
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
I'm a Naval Architect and I'm around....And I would be happy to help out if I can. Motog's idea of a float test is a good one.

While you can observe the trim and floatation afloat, you can also learn something about your boat's stability. A simple "how far does she heel when I stand on the rail" test can tell the accumulated experience of the forum quite a bit.

With the above test, some basic hull shape measurements, and measurements of vertical distance, rail to water (while afloat), I can estimate displacement and some basic stability info. This will also provide info on how to correct any trim problems.

Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote