Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Old 07-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #1101
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
My 34 Californian inside ceiling height is 188 cm/6 ft 2 in. Doorway headers reduce that to 170 cm/5 ft 7 in in the doorway. I wish my door headers were higher, but since I'm 1780 cm/5 ft 10 in, I'm OK with the salon height.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #1102
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Pilothouse is 6'6" (198 cm). You might consider a hand hold down the centerline, I wish mine had one.
Mike

Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #1103
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
200 cm sounds all fine and dandy in an ideal world but the world is not always ideal either. All of us know boats are compromises so before I'd start slinging ply at it I'd mock it up in cardboard first Matt.

See how it functions yes, but then hop out and go lean on the car fender and have a beverage or two. Look at the lines of the hull and if your cabin proportions look right. Somebody else said ya don't want a box on a boat and it's true. I've seen some beautiful sheer lines on some downright ugly boats.

I'm always willing to sacrifice some function for the sake of style. Good luck and know you'll choose well.

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #1104
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Matt me bud... ya gots tree choices... Ceiling height is too short, too tall, or just right!

In addition to good looken lines for your boat, I recommend you go to a boat dealer or boat yard and see if you can walk/stand around inside some boats... ta get the "feel o' da deal" - so to say!

I caution you about door opening heights and widths. If you have a door or two you will often be passing through make it big enough so that passage does not turn into an often PIA.

I can hardly to see your next progress - Your Chum, Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #1105
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Thanks all. Some really sound advice and ideas to take on board.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 07-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #1106
Guru

Hi again, I need some more help. This time it's The diesel return line. is there any reason this can't come in from the side of the tank instead of the top? I only have one spot on top and that will be getting used for the vent. I was contemplating running it on one of the spare outlets on the side of the tank and then I got to thinking about syphoning and how one point needs to be higher, kinda like the wet exhaust. The engine point of the return line is higher than the point where it will run in to the tank so I think it will be fine but just thought I'd ask the question incase there is some other issue sim not aware of by running it through the side.

Cheers folks

Old 07-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #1107
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I suggest 6' 6" as a minimum and 6' 8" would be better. I have a son and 2 grandsons that are 6'5" tall. Moonstruck's saloon ceiling is 6'8" and helm deck ceiling is 6'6". Door clearance should be looked at as well.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #1108
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. H. Is there any reason you can't or shouldn't "T" the return into the vent line right at the tank? Alternately, I see no reason why you can't run the return line to the tank at the top of one of the sides.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #1109
Guru

Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. H. Is there any reason you can't or shouldn't "T" the return into the vent line right at the tank? Alternately, I see no reason why you can't run the return line to the tank at the top of one of the sides.

Hi RT,
Yeah I thought about T'ing it in to the fuel feed line but I might cause an air lock situation. So I thought I could use one of the middle outlets but thinking that May cause an issue with the weight of the fuel ( 400L ) pushing back up the line into the top of the injectors. The return is pressurised but not much, so I've read anyway so not enough to counteract the weight of half a tank IMO

T'ing into the vent line will cause the pressurised return diesel to come out the vent.

So then I thought I could run a loop / gooseneck in the line coming from the middle fitting but once the return diesel got to the point where it met the diesel from the tank, it would/could flow back to the injectors????

Might have to get creative and tap a fitting into the top like you suggested.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #1110
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
If you can get into the tank, put an elbow and pipe to an inch from the top of the tank on the inside for the return. I would not use the side connection otherwise. I wonder what it was used for originally?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #1111
Guru

City: Duncan Cove, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I can't see why T ing it into a vent wouldn't work. The vent will have negative pressure when the engine is running and whether or not you fill that 'vacuum' with fuel or air seems immaterial?

Even if the tank were full to the tippy top, the engine will burn some of it so unless you've invented a way to make fuel (where do I sign up?) you will not run fuel out the vent.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:58 AM   #1112
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
If you can get into the tank, put an elbow and pipe to an inch from the top of the tank on the inside for the return. I would not use the side connection otherwise. I wonder what it was used for originally?

Nah totally sealed bar the filler neck which is 3inches. There are 5 outlets all up and I assume because it is off a road train truck then it has something to do with that and balancing them etc.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:07 AM   #1113
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I can't see why T ing it into a vent wouldn't work. The vent will have negative pressure when the engine is running and whether or not you fill that 'vacuum' with fuel or air seems immaterial?

Even if the tank were full to the tippy top, the engine will burn some of it so unless you've invented a way to make fuel (where do I sign up?) you will not run fuel out the vent.

On paper it works for me too mate, but at the boat it's a different story due to the location of the proposed vent line with the engine return pipe and the fact the return line is pressurised etc.

I rang my mate who owns Perth Diesel Exchange and asked him. He advises that the diesel return must not be submerged. It has to drip/spray into the tank. He said if for some reason the tank pressurised then the engine will swallow a heap of go go juice. He also said that the weight of the diesel will cause issue and create a syphoning effect, again causing failure of the Perkins. He did say the return line can be tapped back into the filter instead of the tank but that's a lot of work that I'm not too bothered to take on at this stage. He did ask why I don't just put a vented cap on. Everyone went quiet and you could hear a pin drop lol. Yeah good idea mate! I'll just put on a vented diesel filler cap. That way I can run the diesel return line to the fitting at the top of the tank and all will be sweet :-)

Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier lol.

Happy days!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #1114
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
"He did say the return line can be tapped back into the filter instead of the tank but that's a lot of work that I'm not too bothered to take on at this stage."

Matt, that's how my Lehman is set up. The return line just goes back to the primary filter near the aft end of he engine. It is set up on a floor support about level with the secondary filters. The system works well, and appears blindingly simple. When I have heard others discussing other more complicated systems to return the excess to the tanks, I have often wondered why bother, when this system works so well.
Why do you think it would be difficult to do..?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #1115
TF Site Team

They make a return line adaptor that "T"s into the fill line. Man of your talent could make one up pretty easy. Google...

Moroso EFI Fuel Return Line Kit
Old 07-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #1116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
"He did say the return line can be tapped back into the filter instead of the tank but that's a lot of work that I'm not too bothered to take on at this stage."

Matt, that's how my Lehman is set up. The return line just goes back to the primary filter near the aft end of he engine. It is set up on a floor support about level with the secondary filters. The system works well, and appears blindingly simple. When I have heard others discussing other more complicated systems to return the excess to the tanks, I have often wondered why bother, when this system works so well.
Why do you think it would be difficult to do..?

Do you have a picture at all? I can't picture what you're explaining.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #1117
Guru

Quote:
They make a return line adaptor that "T"s into the fill line. Man of your talent could make one up pretty easy. Google...

Moroso EFI Fuel Return Line Kit

Yeah I best google before I hit the Port tho cause everything becomes difficult once I start sipping lol

Old 07-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #1118
Guru

Pete,
is it as simple as putting a tube fitting into the side where i have indicated with the arrows?

obviously it would have to go into the one with the arrow facing the flow into the filter.

is this what you mean?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	31466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1642.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	31467  
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #1119
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Yeah I best google before I hit the Port tho cause everything becomes difficult once I start sipping lol

Best Port I every found was a Tawny called Gallway Pipe that an Aussie friend used to bring me by the case. Not expensive either...
Old 07-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #1120
Guru

Quote:
Best Port I every found was a Tawny called Gallway Pipe that an Aussie friend used to bring me by the case. Not expensive either...

Nice. Will have to try that. ATM I'm on a bottle of 1980 Talijancich solero blend No.2... Made in Perth and yummy. Another one of my faves is Woodstock Muscat and Woodstock 40y/o fortified

Can't wait to be floating on AXE sipping away in the middle of nowhere.