Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I took 'Tank' the tender out on the weekend for a test run. I even had a special guest tag along for the ride...

I can't believe how fuel efficient this Merc is. We drove around for 4 hrs and I can't tell how much fuel we used. The tank gauge didn't leave the full mark so I opened the tank and the fuel is almost spilling out. It doesn't go anywhere fast but it'll run on the smell of an oily rag

I have one of those motors and it runs all day on a tea cup of fuel. I have it on my dinghy a 13 foot gregor aluminum i use in the mountains trolling for trout. If i use a handle extension and sit up front the boat will plain maybe at 16/18mph. On my rubber dinghy i steer with my feet and she flies over the water lots of fun but hard to see were your going:)....

I took 'Tank' the tender out on the weekend for a test run. I even had a special guest tag along for the ride...

I can't believe how fuel efficient this Merc is. We drove around for 4 hrs and I can't tell how much fuel we used. The tank gauge didn't leave the full mark so I opened the tank and the fuel is almost spilling out. It doesn't go anywhere fast but it'll run on the smell of an oily rag

I have one of those motors and it runs all day on a tea cup of fuel. I have it on my dinghy a 13 foot gregor aluminum i use in the mountains trolling for trout. If i use a handle extension and sit up front the boat will plain maybe at 16/18mph. On my rubber dinghy i steer with my feet and she flies over the water lots of fun but hard to see were your going:)....

Hey guys - You know anything regarding fuel consumption on Mercs in the 50 hp range (I'll also do a net search). What you get for "cups" of gas per day on small Mercs seems impressive. Although I currently get approx 20 mpg at 25 mph on my 1975 Johnson 50 hp o/b... if I could double that mileage I m might be interested in purchasing a new Merc. That is as long as the Merc still provides same actual hp/torque of the old Johnson.

Happy Dink-Boat Daze! - Art :dance:

Well now! Gonna have to name the Dink. Maybe "Axe Handle" ?

Great to see the Admiral smile again, now you Matt, gotta work on yours.

What about "Axe to Ground" - play on 'axe to grind' - get it..?

Only in this case it gets you from the Axe, to the ground (land) - just flying a kite for fun here - sort of play on words…nah…probably not...

Too Cool

What about "Axe to Ground" - play on 'axe to grind' - get it..?

Only in this case it gets you from the Axe, to the ground (land) - just flying a kite for fun here - sort of play on words…nah…probably not...

Another great name!

Just realized this thread is now 82 pages long! Keep at it Matt, maybe another 82?

Crusty

Ok had a late start due to a sleep in lol and then I I couldn't really get started for one reason or another. Couldn't do that because of that reason and Couldn't do that because of that reason and so on. I did manage to cut the Glosswood VJ lining boards but then my gun kept jamming (dodgy nails i think) so fluffed around and did some cleaning up and shuffling things around so I had a clear area for when I get back down there.

Some days ta just gotta cut off and turn it loose and come back another day when the bad vibe has buggered off.

I worked out I need another two packs of 3600 long Glosswood packs to get the ceilings done so I'll grab them during the week. I'll also grab the right nails for my gun and hopefully have the ceiling fitted off during the week and on the weekend I'll jump up top, lift the ply off, chuck in the sound proofing and insulation then glue and screw the sheets off then roll out the glass cloth and sheath the whole roof.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431163474.354776.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431163497.148134.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431163513.232472.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Yeah Matt, you'll knock that all off in a good old Aussie coupladays…no sweat...

Ok had a late start due to a sleep in lol and then I I couldn't really get started for one reason or another. Couldn't do that because of that reason and Couldn't do that because of that reason and so on. I did manage to cut the Glosswood VJ lining boards but then my gun kept jamming (dodgy nails i think) so fluffed around and did some cleaning up and shuffling things around so I had a clear area for when I get back down there.

Some days ta just gotta cut off and turn it loose and come back another day when the bad vibe has buggered off.

I worked out I need another two packs of 3600 long Glosswood packs to get the ceilings done so I'll grab them during the week. I'll also grab the right nails for my gun and hopefully have the ceiling fitted off during the week and on the weekend I'll jump up top, lift the ply off, chuck in the sound proofing and insulation then glue and screw the sheets off then roll out the glass cloth and sheath the whole roof.

View attachment 40016
View attachment 40017
View attachment 40018

Geeee whiz Matt - You're just such a slacker! Didn't ya ever learn ta have good work ethics?

Oh damn... I just woke up... Sorry Matt that's not you I was dreaming about, but rather it was my lazy next door neighbor! Forgive me bout that Matt - your work ethics should be carved in stone at city hall for growing-up kids to read about and taught to understand. Couple million folks who work like you and the civilization just might make it into the 22nd Century before imploding.

Get it on with AXE - Bro! We're all cheering for ya!! - Art :dance:

:speed boat:

It's great to see you back at it, Matt. I'm so happy for you that things are working out.

The sedan cruiser in your photos looks like a copy of your design. You'd better look into that.:D

You and Rick keep after your building projects. When you guys are down us old farts have nothing to live for. Fernando is no entertainment anymore. He is just enjoying his beautiful boat.:)

Hey guys - You know anything regarding fuel consumption on Mercs in the 50 hp range (I'll also do a net search). What you get for "cups" of gas per day on small Mercs seems impressive. Although I currently get approx 20 mpg at 25 mph on my 1975 Johnson 50 hp o/b... if I could double that mileage I m might be interested in purchasing a new Merc. That is as long as the Merc still provides same actual hp/torque of the old Johnson.

Happy Dink-Boat Daze! - Art :dance:
on my 2011 Wooldridge Alaskan I have a 115 merc with the upgraded smart craft engine controls and i can troll slower using less fuel with the 115 than i can with the 9.9 merc i also have on that boat. Wished I would have saved the $3500 US dollars I spent on the 9.9 when i found that out.

on my 2011 Wooldridge Alaskan I have a 115 merc with the upgraded smart craft engine controls and i can troll slower using less fuel with the 115 than i can with the 9.9 merc i also have on that boat. Wished I would have saved the $3500 US dollars I spent on the 9.9 when i found that out.

Wow... that's amazing Britt. Thanks for reply.

What type fuel usage per hr does your 115 merc average at cruise speed; lets say 3500 to 3700 rpm? Also, what size boat and what is cruise speed for your boat... as a matter of interest... what is your speed at WOT?

Art

Wow... that's amazing Britt. Thanks for reply.

What type fuel usage per hr does your 115 merc average at cruise speed; lets say 3500 to 3700 rpm? Also, what size boat and what is cruise speed for your boat... as a matter of interest... what is your speed at WOT?

Art

The wot is 6000rpm, heres a boat test link

Mercury 115 EFI Outboard, Control System 2013 Engine Test / Reviews Videos, Specs, Fast Facts, Captain reports | BoatTEST.com

here is info on my boat. In fact there is a picture of my boat at the website.

Alaskan | Wooldridge Boats

My Alaskan has a 38 gallon tank and while i have never taken the time for exact numbers everytime i think i have to be breathing fuems I end up with over 1/2 tank. I have a bad habit of keeping her full cause you never know what might happen on the water even in inland waterways. The engine is equipped with the smart craft system which gives you instant fuel consumption, gallons remaining in tank and just about any other parameter you could ask for on the digital read out.
I tell you when i bought that engine i was simply blown away by the way it performed and the economy. All it does is sniff gas I think. Have it set up to run either a jet or prop. Mostly use the prop cause it is faster than the jet and doesn't keep clogging up with seaweed and crap. I have no experiance with merc 50's. Outboards are so darmed expensive mate I hate to buy them but they do have lots of good points.
Below is my Alaskan not far from the bar at Winchester Oregon

2011-09-07_15-45-14_713.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, again Britt. I'll review the link. :thumb:

Let's give this thread back to Matt, and AXE ... :D

Lol all good Art. I'm learning from the posts too :)

Last edited:
Lol all good Art. I'm learning from the posts too :)

TY Matt!

Since Britt provided Merc link I read it all. Sent inquiry (regarding 50 hp merc o/b which I'm interested to learn stats about) to designated person at mercmarine.com. He returns from vacation today... may be a bit till he provides answer/stat-page. Will post here if items are interesting - which they probably will be! :D

Hey all.
Popped in to AXE after work and started on the roof/side/wing thingy tried taking some pics for y'all but they turned out sh*t but anyway here they are. Talk to you tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515394.653830.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515407.885119.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515451.739135.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515479.941292.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515495.874546.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515538.527403.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515553.295510.jpg

Got down to the boat a bit earlier today so snuck in a quick pic before it got dark.

Today I started on the STBD side with the installation of the 100x50 steel roof beam.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431605436.141459.jpg

Matt Me Buddy

You're getting into the nit-grit of finish work - Stay true to yourself and realize that perfection is to be strived for but seldom if ever attained. Therefore... recognizing that you are a perfectionist... I recommend you place a limit on time spent to reach perfection during each "finish" sequence. The real perfection is when AXE gets into cruising you around to have all the fun and joy "that" sequence will provide!

:dance: :speed boat:- Art

Matt Me Buddy

You're getting into the nit-grit of finish work - Stay true to yourself and realize that perfection is to be strived for but seldom if ever attained. Therefore... recognizing that you are a perfectionist... I recommend you place a limit on time spent to reach perfection during each "finish" sequence. The real perfection is when AXE gets into cruising you around to have all the fun and joy "that" sequence will provide!

:dance: :speed boat:- Art
:flowers:..Art, for some people good enough is not good enough. I tend to be one of those people that is not satisfied unless perfect. Many laughed at me in the early days shaking their heads as they walked away but over the years people came to respect my work and I began to capitalize on that reputation without even trying. I would get calls, letters, requesting my services offering very substantial monetary compensation just to over see a project or look over prints. Each request was a nice compliment for past labors.
My point is there is nothing wrong with perfection and it can be very profitable in the long term. Hendo has already begun to achieve such a reputation, a man after my own heart!:thumb:

Greetings,
Mr. dm. Thanks for that. Never heard it put quite that way before but so true. Mr. H is doing a stellar job worthy of the finest craftsman BUT what I can't figure out is WHEN does he ever sleep?

mondays.gif

Greetings,
Mr. dm. Thanks for that. Never heard it put quite that way before but so true. Mr. H is doing a stellar job worthy of the finest craftsman BUT what I can't figure out is WHEN does he ever sleep?

mondays.gif
That's funny Rt.
Funny cause he may be like me in that i sleep little. When i was a kid my mom had me at the doctor's cause she thought i should sleep more. To make her happy i pretended to sleep and would often read with a flashlight under the covers. Four hours is a great nights sleep. Not everyone requires eight hours in a death like state each day to be healthy.
Do you really like those daily slices of death?

Thanks for the posts and discussions fellas. I agree with both of you. If I do get too hung up in the finer detail I'll never get it finished so I do agree with art persè however, I do also agree with BF and do take pleasure in people looking at my work and will rather push the start date back a little to get the finish I want. If I rush it, I will pick the errors and it will annoy the piss out of me lol.

RT I sleep mate, I just don't "relax" ... Plenty of time to do that once I'm swinging off the hook :)

This afternoon i popped down and finished the wing bit. I've got to take the skin back off and add some nogs and precoat with epoxy then glue and screw before trimming the roof back then glassing her all up.

This weekend we are in for some massive storms then rain the whole week proceeding so she's all wrapped up again.

Ok well that's all.

Thanks again for the Comments. I can't thank you enough for the support and the drive you and your comments give me.

:)

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431679713.436036.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431679726.881271.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431679739.482525.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431679752.983332.jpg

Thanks for the posts and discussions fellas. I agree with both of you. If I do get too hung up in the finer detail I'll never get it finished so I do agree with art persè however, I do also agree with BF and do take pleasure in people looking at my work and will rather push the start date back a little to get the finish I want. If I rush it, I will pick the errors and it will annoy the piss out of me lol.

RT I sleep mate, I just don't "relax" ... Plenty of time to do that once I'm swinging off the hook :)

This afternoon i popped down and finished the wing bit. I've got to take the skin back off and add some nogs and precoat with epoxy then glue and screw before trimming the roof back then glassing her all up.

This weekend we are in for some massive storms then rain the whole week proceeding so she's all wrapped up again.

Ok well that's all.

Thanks again for the Comments. I can't thank you enough for the support and the drive you and your comments give me.

:)

View attachment 40178
View attachment 40179
View attachment 40180
View attachment 40181

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431680394.598599.jpg

Matt,

Details, details, details. The shadow line created by over laying the frieze over the cabin sides is a smashing detail. It creates texture and depth that will set Axe apart from "home built boats". I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

matt,

details, details, details. The shadow line created by over laying the frieze over the cabin sides is a smashing detail. It creates texture and depth that will set axe apart from "home built boats". I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

agreed!! :d

Matt,

Details, details, details. The shadow line created by over laying the frieze over the cabin sides is a smashing detail. It creates texture and depth that will set Axe apart from "home built boats". I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Thanks mate. I can't wait to see what comes up next either Hahahaha

Starboard roof frieze underway, the rear supporting posts removed opening up the rear deck. Also had a visit from the site foreman. Not a bad little effort for the arvo

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431940768.895787.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431940782.346733.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431940798.413263.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431940813.964632.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431940828.499112.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431940840.351226.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431940851.567190.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431940863.484741.jpg

Back
Top Bottom