Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Old 04-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #901
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
WAttachment 29413Attachment 29414We like ours separate. We had a combo in our camano although we never used I could only imagine how cramped it would be. Remember even if you go for the combo you could always use marina amenities like we did.
Holy crap that's sexy! I better not show this to Felicity. She'll want this done in AXE ... ...

thanks for the pics mate

Old 04-26-2014, 11:24 PM   #902
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Hendo go for separate if possible for sure. We have a combination head and shower - it is reasonably roomy, so we do use it and it works, but separate is better. Hey remember how taken you were with the Integrity design - well the 34 has a separate set-up - see here……
340 Sedan Â*- Integrity Motor Yachts
Also the 380, (with an option with combo to fit in a second stateroom). And the 440 has enough room for both. Your vessel falls somewhere in between, so you should be able to pull it off.

An aft a head with cockpit access..? Can't think of any real reason unless the boat is very large, and you take out many people, or you are so obsessed with fishing you won't leave the rod long enough to use the inside head. It would certainly not be on unless it was a second head in my view. Think of those night visits - which, take my word for it, get more frequent as one gets older...

Old 04-27-2014, 06:17 AM   #903
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Peter B
A head off the cockpit will be better ventilated; it is higher so easier flow to holding tank. Also separated from sleeping quarters, so the rest of the crew don't have to listen to (or smell) you during your nightly visit. A 20 foot walk during the night rather than a 5 foot walk is a small price to pay, IMO.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #904
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Peter B
A head off the cockpit will be better ventilated; it is higher so easier flow to holding tank. Also separated from sleeping quarters, so the rest of the crew don't have to listen to (or smell) you during your nightly visit. A 20 foot walk during the night rather than a 5 foot walk is a small price to pay, IMO.
Cut the bottom out of the bucket, and install a toilet seat. This could solve a lot of problems. Dogs think humans have it backwards. You know----cooking in the yard, and using the toilet in the house. Just doesn't seem right somehow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rail mounted potty seat.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	29417  
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #905
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. H. I don't know why I didn't think of this before but we have a hot and cold outlet on the aft deck. We have a garden "wand" affixed, via Velcro, to an upright. Showering either "au naturel" or with the appropriate bathing costume keeps any water out of the dedicated head and is immediately at hand for a rinse after a salt water dip. Problem solved IMO.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #906
Rex

Hendo wrote:

The SARCA being the ultimate in anchor means I won't need two anchors so this really is surplus to my needs

Rex Wrote:
Gee fellers I hope I haven't given the wrong impression hear, Super Sarca, Sarca meaning (sand and reef combination anchor) its design to penetrate many types of sea floors, its automatic reset trip release gives you probably the best chance of retrieval.

The Excel has also proven to set quickly in many types of sea beds, probably every bit as good as the Super Sarca, difference being it does not have a automatic resettable trip release such as the Sarca, due to the Excels design it is not possible to adapt the same trip release to the Excel, but the Excel does have a very good trip design that would have to be manually implemented before deploying.

So yes you certainly would be wise to carry a second anchor simply because if you should loose your primary then you have a back up, further more, you at some time will need a ketch anchor.

The best advise I can give to any body from the many years of observing anchors behaviour, designing and testing of anchors is no anchor is a hundred precent, but as you can see by these passionate anchor discussions there will be many that will continue with new designs believing they can, you cannot knock this endeavour, who knows what can be achieved with belief. I can see many more anchor discussions coming from new designs to see the young up and coming yachters well into their retirement.

Regards
Rex.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #907
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Firstly, me mate... That anchor piece you are giving away looks a beaut and will give some TF member plenty of years service. Tiz a fine give it forward gesture you are providing. Don't add my name to the list... Our Tolly's anchor operation in doing fine!

Secondly... Although you mentioned in post # 895 "Thanks folks. Separate it is."; I bring up a quote from AusCan's post # 892 "If you have the room, I'd go separate, but it does take up a bit more space."

Before making decision as to combo or separate I'd recommend careful consideration on boat-space/room-to-live planning. I don't know your boats beam and I as I recall mentioned its tail to nose is 35' (not referring to LOA). Our Tolly tail to nose is 34' with 12'6" beam. We're aboard her right now! Anyway, IMHO... In boats as compact as yours and ours - every sq inch counts! A relatively expansive combo room with entire floor big shower pan and a movable, adjustable shower nozzle spray head... as well as...toilet/sink counter/med-cabinet/wall mirror/towel rack/lighting system... etc can be designed large enough so that all sectors relating toward and including ablution have ample room to be comfortably carried out. In compact pleasure cruisers if rooms are separated things can get darn tight... every wall is another shoulder bumper and every hinged door or slider or curtain is another space taker, i.e. item to get past or around.

Another good thing about combo and its larger open-space/size availability – If you set it up right with water proof fixtures/coatings (therefore not needing any round-a-lay shower curtain at all) the movable shower nozzle/wand becomes an instant wash-down/cleaner for entire head area with shower pan drain for evacuation.

Of course in longer/beamier boats it’s great to have seperates when plenty of room is available... But for compact cruisers such as ours space-to-move-around becomes paramount importance throughout every inch of layout.

Also, think of the %age of time aboard boat you’ll be moving around and doing things in all sectors, always wanting more space to put things and less walls/doors to bump into. Then think of %age of time aboard you will use to shower... Then think how easy to keep a good sized combo head perfectly clean.

For 35’ boat... There’s the answer – Now, what’s the question??? LOL

Good Luck Champ!

Happy Boat Interior Designing Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #908
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Cut the bottom out of the bucket, and install a toilet seat. This could solve a lot of problems. Dogs think humans have it backwards. You know----cooking in the yard, and using the toilet in the house. Just doesn't seem right somehow.
Don - Sorta like parking stand still in your "drive" way and driving 80 mph on the "park" way. as my dad often mentioned... Humans are simply "back asswards"!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #909
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. H. Yup, a combo unit as Mr. Art suggests could work but the first time you have to "wipe" with wet paper will have you questioning your decision. Look how much more elegant and practical MY solution (post #905) is and go for that. I would NOT suggest you use the shower pan for "evacuation" at all.....Just Ewwww......
Along the same lines I question those who have full width saloons without walk around decks. How much time and space do you need inside anyway?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #910
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Matt, this is for Felicity-----The Italian version. I think it means happiness.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #911
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. H. Yup, a combo unit as Mr. Art suggests could work but the first time you have to "wipe" with wet paper will have you questioning your decision. Look how much more elegant and practical MY solution (post #905) is and go for that. I would NOT suggest you use the shower pan for "evacuation" at all.....Just Ewwww......
Along the same lines I question those who have full width saloons without walk around decks. How much time and space do you need inside anyway?
Dear Mr. Smartie Pants

Term evacuation can be used for several items and meanings. In the case of my intent the word evacuation was meant for "draining" the shower pan... same as in when showering. The "spray-down" of a properly set up head with mobile shower nozzle is simply a really good means to wash the boat's "bathroom's" equipment's exterior, as a good, quick, sanitary way to keep it sparkling cleen - always. Head item's exteriors do need to be washed off ya know - don't cha??

Ewwwww - That you even thought of Ewwwww in my post!

BTW - RT - You seem conversant regarding "wiping" with wet paper... I'll not ask why!!
Old 04-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #912
Enigma

Old 04-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #913
Guru

Hi all,
Spent a couple of hours on AXE this afternoon and worked the transom area. We've Had a lot of rain over the last five days. I did a mercy dash on Friday to tarp her up but when the rains started. I pulled the covers today some rain had found it's way in. All up, 20ltrs got sucked out. Good and bad I suspose. If the water couldn't get out then it won't get in ay! ... It is the season so the next three months will be crappy weather so I need to look at putting a structure/roof over her so I can carry on working the inside and laying up glass over the stringers/ribs etc and painting and fitting the engine bla bla bla.

Tomorrow I'll sand it all, smooth out the fillets and apply the glass on the joins then I can carry on moving forward.

Cheers all

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398770079.619873.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	29490Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398770117.421259.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	29491Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398770137.454697.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	29492Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398770158.546436.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	29493

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #914
Guru

Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

Quote:
use the shower pan for "evacuation"

YUK ... Jesus RT. Remind me not to allow you to use my shower if you ever come to Australia. I don't want you taking a dump on my shower pan! Hahahaha

Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #915
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. H. READ THIS WITH YOUR GOOD EYE!!!!!! Wasn't me who used the word "evacuation" it was Mr. Art. (Post # 907 end of fourth paragraph). For you even to suggest I'd do something like that well.....
Old 04-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #916
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. H. READ THIS WITH YOUR GOOD EYE!!!!!! Wasn't me who used the word "evacuation" it was Mr. Art. (Post # 907 end of fourth paragraph). For you even to suggest I'd do something like that well....]

HAHAHAHA

Old 04-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #917
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Hendo, your generosity is amazing and couldn't come at a better time as I am in the process of ripping my whole bowsprit off.....however, you Aussies should stick together and it should find a new home locally. Now if Auscan finds it doesn't fit his needs....lol
Old 04-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #918
Guru

G'day all,
Saw this on Facebook tonight and thought it fitting to share here considering AXE went down to her keel.

http://viewnews.com.au/relocation-of...closer-459124/

http://monumentaustralia.org.au/them...002-s.s.-dicky

Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #919
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. H. Thanks for the link. Interesting the Captain decided to beach in lieu of taking a chance on a loss, particularly of life.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #920
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Hendo - there's another project for you after the Axe is finished.

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote