Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Old 02-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #721
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Good to see ya enjoying a bit of sanding Hendo. Reminds me of an old project truck from years ago, I haven't sanded a damn thing since
haha thanks Craigo. Sanding epoxy is lovely compared to sanding that bloody 350gsm fibreglass tape ... OMG it makes you itchy that stuff is the work of the devil im sure!

Old 02-10-2014, 03:58 AM   #722
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
I continue to enjoy these posts! Great job keeping the dream alive.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
Thanks Dave. I appreciate your continued support and words of encouragement

Old 02-10-2014, 04:32 AM   #723
Guru

G'day Gang. How are we all doing? hope everyone is well and that your family is well and your toys are behaving!

Continuing on from where I left off last week, I lightly sanded the glass tape on the keel, sanded the around the hull extension. I gave it a blow with compressed air then wiped it down with some thinners. Once that all dried I continued with the fairing. The Port side of the keel was done, I finished off fairing the hull extension and I finished of fairing the hull side. I didn't go right to the end with the fairing/epoxy mix because once I put the ply on the stbd sid, I want to cross over/layer the 350gsm Fibreglass tape around from one side to the other tying it together. Once that's done I will then be able to apply the epoxy/fairing mixture.

On Sunday I returned to sand it but it hadn't fully cured so couldn't do much. I mixed up the last of the fairing mixture I had left and did a little fairing/skim coating to the hull bottom and thinned the mixture right out and skim coated the Port side to fill the air bubbles and some of the low spots.

After that I did a big clean up and well that was about it really.

There has been a delay with my order so hopefully my material will be here in time for Saturday.

That's all folks. Nothing to juicy for ya but have some pics of current progress

Cheers

Hendo

Old 02-10-2014, 04:47 AM   #724
Guru

REX - Anchor right

For those of you that are interested, I wanted to let you know (because Rex is too bloody proud to) that Rex and Joy Francis from Anchor Right Australia won the BIA Manufacturers of the Year Award for 2014

- Rex and Joy: Thank you for inventing and making the New Generation Anchors. Not only have you made anchoring a much more pleasant experience, your innovation has improved the boating community

If you are yet to own a SARCA or SARCA Excel, It is well worth the investment and you wont be disappointed

Anchor Right Australia are continually improving and innovating new ideas each and everyday and im sure it wont be long until another innovation comes rolling out that changes how we do things.

Please join with me in congratulating Rex and Joy with this fantastic achievement

Below is a link to the page with some more details on Anchor Right Australia's latest award..

Well Done mate!

Anchor Right wins Manufacturer of the Year 2014 Award | Anchor Right News and Updates

Moderators - Please leave this post and any other post congratulating Rex and Joys achievements in this thread. Thank you kindly
Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 AM   #725
Guru

G'day Gang,

Ok well I came home from work today with height side of my face swollen to a bad tooth playing up and guess what I found,

apart from a sexy minx called Felicity greeting me at the door that is ... ,

I found a SARCA Excel Anchor and a matching Full length SARCA bowsprit!!! Woo hoo

OMG You're a Superstar and an Extremely Generous man Rex! ... I Cant believe I actually have it! ... and its an Excel too ... ...

Old 02-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #726
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Nice job Hendo.

You didn't forget to never sand the first layer of epoxy resin, did you?. That one must stay un-scratched.

Where I come from we cannot get an anchor like that. Nice and well done!

Portuguese
Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #727
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
Nice job Hendo.

You didn't forget to never sand the first layer of epoxy resin, did you?. That one must stay un-scratched.

Where I come from we cannot get an anchor like that. Nice and well done!

Portuguese
Hola Portuguese!

Yeah I sanded the first coat. I needed to so the second coat had a mechanical bond as opposed to a chemical bond if I had done wet on wet. Hind sight I should have done wet on wet. The reason I was so itchy was the 350gsm tape lifted in a couple of spots because I didn't get the air bubble out so needed to sand it out and well... Yeah got taught a lesson. 1. Don't rush, 2. Get all air bubbles out and 3. If I don't do 1 & 2 properly then I become very itchy :-)

Lessons learnt on the Port side will make doing the a starboard side easier. Who knows, by the end of this I might just know how to build a boat lol

Sent from iPhone 4S
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #728
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
OMG Matt - What a fantastic anchor you, Flic, and "AXE" have been gifted. Great picts you placed!

That baby should surely secure your boat to the bottom through any storm! I have been an old-school believer and user of Danforth brand and style anchor designs for 50 + years. Of different size and weight I keep four (4) on my boat right now... I believe in redundancy of redundancy regarding anchors. If we need to stay put I’m gonna make damn sure my boat can and will! LOL

I have now changed my mind on my preferred brand and style anchor! When I refit my Tollycraft boat with new auto windless and bowsprit... it will be a SARCA EX*CEL that becomes my anchor of choice! Due to your thread here and the SARCA extremely beneficial gift to assist you in your AXE restoration project I have watched many video about these anchors... I’m Sold! They are the best anchor for marine use - especially on pleasure boats. I'm sure you will be proud with that baby presented on AXE's nose!!

Enjoy - Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #729
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yup

Neither one of you guys are going to be disappointed.

Wonder if we'll ever see those SARCAs at West Marine

..... where I got my Manson Supreme.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #730
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
I want one of those!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #731
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Hendo-that damned thing in your yard is starting to look like a real boat! Keep up the great work and thanks for letting us enjoy without the itching!

BTW-great anchor!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #732
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Hendo,
good job mate and what a fantastic gift from Rex and Francis they are wonderful people.
You will not be disappointed with that anchor and I tell you that from experience.
Best anchor I have had the satisfaction of securing my boat with and I don't say that lightly.
All the best
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #733
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I said nuss-ssing..! Everyone else is saying' it...
Old 02-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #734
Moderator Emeritus

What a huge anchor. That will keep AXE well tethered, it`s sure to improve your boating comfort and security. Keep the windlass in good order, manual retrieve will be tough.
Thanks to Rex and Joy for your generosity. I had no idea Sarca had won the BIA prize, well done.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #735
Rex

Hendos Randall

Well Hendo,

Good to see the anchor has a arrived, yes I think the No 5 22KG Excel would been fine but like all you do its not done until well done so no surprises with a larger anchor, your partner Felicity is very photogenic, I have trouble noticing the anchor where as with you Hendo ? Sorry mate I was only joking, you can tell a lot about a person in a photo, I think Hendo, and probably dont need me to tell you this, you are a lucky man.

Giving makes one feel real good, if you can get appreciation for the giving then it makes you feel real real good, Felicity and Hendo you have allowed me both, many should try it, good health for the inside.

Any way enough about our anchors as your thread is a story that I think has a long way to run.

Hendo your thread it is full big surprises, equality disappointment, compassion, toughing it out, (partner support) a big one, showing what can be done when one puts there mind to it, excepting the knockers politely and just getting on with it, all inspiring stuff.

And last but not least its been great watching it take shape with absolute demonstrations of pride, thanks to both of you once again for your appreciation and for those that have also recognized the thought behind the gift, sorry I do not have any more Hendos on my short list.

Regards Rex & Joy.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #736
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Well Hendo,

Good to see the anchor has a arrived, yes I think the No 5 22KG Excel would been fine but like all you do its not done until well done so no surprises with a larger anchor, your partner Felicity is very photogenic, I have trouble noticing the anchor where as with you Hendo ? Sorry mate I was only joking, you can tell a lot about a person in a photo, I think Hendo, and probably dont need me to tell you this, you are a lucky man.

Giving makes one feel real good, if you can get appreciation for the giving then it makes you feel real real good, Felicity and Hendo you have allowed me both, many should try it, good health for the inside.

Any way enough about our anchors as your thread is a story that I think has a long way to run.

Hendo your thread it is full big surprises, equality disappointment, compassion, toughing it out, (partner support) a big one, showing what can be done when one puts there mind to it, excepting the knockers politely and just getting on with it, all inspiring stuff.

And last but not least its been great watching it take shape with absolute demonstrations of pride, thanks to both of you once again for your appreciation and for those that have also recognized the thought behind the gift, sorry I do not have any more Hendos on my short list.

Regards Rex & Joy.
HAHA nice one mate! so what you're saying is there is no chance of me becoming a SARCA model then ???

Yeah im certainly batting above my average that's for sure!

Thanks again for your support Rex.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #737
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Who's the ugly dude getting fingerprints all over Flics new anchor?

Seriously though, that is some seriously sweet bow jewelry Rex dropped in your lap. Now get that boat done so you can give me that dive lesson mate.

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:11 AM   #738
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Who's the ugly dude getting fingerprints all over Flics new anchor?

Seriously though, that is some seriously sweet bow jewelry Rex dropped in your lap. Now get that boat done so you can give me that dive lesson mate.

HAHA ... yeah yeah

Yep cool I haven't forgotten about that lesson and glad you haven't either!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:55 AM   #739
Guru

G'day all,
Quick one today. Has anyone used Hutchins Sanders? I've not heard of them over here before. Im thinking of buying one but want to make sure they are good quality first and cant seem to see any reviews on the net.

Below is a link to the one I was going to buy.

HUT-2000 HUTCHINS MANUFACTURING MODEL 2000 HUSTLER STRAIGHT LINE SANDER

Appreciate your advice/suggestions/recommendations

Cheers
Hendo
Old 02-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #740
Guru

Hi Gang,
Hope all is well. Ive found a new product to my add to my collection of epoxy. Its called Jotafair by Jotun and its wonderful ... not just ok, but WONDERFULLLLLLLLL ... I love using it so far. Two part (A) and (B) and that's it. No folding powders into epoxy resin. It is like a premade plaster mix with a Smooth cream type finish.

Probably the easiest fairing filler ive used thus far and im glad to be at this step on this side.

Being Jotun, it should also help with the painting system as im using Jotun for that also.

Ive decided to stop working the hull sides and just do the hull bottom on both sides so it can be flipped over. there is no real point in fairing the hull sides if I still need to fibregalss the hull topsides on.

Will let you know how the Jotafair sands up.

Anywhooo That's all. Still fairing, sanding, fairing etc

Cheers
Hendo