Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #561
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Not a lot happening on the AXE front due this bloody rain but had a nice little boat pull up at the docks at work yesterday to unload some toys

Old 08-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #562
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=Hendo78;171214]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCraig View Post
Anything NOT a HD must first be assessed by several criteria before it can be called a motorcycle....;-)QUOTE]

Oh craigo craigo craigo ... ... see thats where we are different mate. I chose to do a Suzuki as i prefer to ride than push as would be the case if i did a Harley

Boom Tish
Thank goodness no one mentioned the "D" word.
Oh no, I just did.
That ship is so fugly I thought the bow was its butt.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #563
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Thank goodness no one mentioned the "D" word.
Oh no, I just did..
"D" word? ... as in Ducati? or ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
That ship is so fugly I thought the bow was its butt.

yeah certainly not the sexiest ship but she sure carries a lot
Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #564
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
@ Pete...yep, the more ingenious have made fortunes coming up with ways to keep the wind and water out of ones vital areas...LOL...

I must admit though, if I have troubles of a serious nature, NOTHING is better therapy than time on the bike...and I am a shrink so 'physician heal thyself' eh ?
Aha..."a burn-up on my bike is what I like..."
Remember that song - if you do you are in my age-group..?

So you're a shrink, and I'm a geep...or a quack if you like, I don't mind.

Sorry Hendo...now back on thread...Hendo's re-build...
Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #565

City: New Braunfels
Vessel Name: Sunset Wanderer
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
I know

I have mates who get me with it every damn time LMAO...

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #566
Guru

Quote:
I know

I have mates who get me with it every damn time LMAO...

Old 08-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #567
Guru

First full day of sunshine yesterday and boy did we love it

Flic and i continued with the keel and hull prep. All of the rib gurder bolts were sunk into the keel and epoxy filled ready for the 10 mm thick steel plate that will be going on the keel

We also finished the 50mm radius, High strength epoxy glue fillet running either side of the keel on the hull join covering the fixings and making that seam water tight.

The keel was coated with epoxy and we started filling in the screw holes with epoxy glue.

Now that all of the seams are done i dont have to much around with that bloody tarp well at least not untill i flip her back over again

All in all it was a great step forward towards glassing the hull in a few weeks

Old 08-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #568
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
WOW - I can almost imagine her gliding through the water now.

And let me say - I think you really have a couple of winners there. Both of your girls are definite keepers. Flic and the AXE.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #569
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I second that...
Old 08-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #570
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
My hats off to you hendo, that is an ambitious project!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #571
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Eyee Me Mattie

It's pretty obvious your gal AXE is one in ten thousand and it sure looks like your girl Flic is one in a Million! Heck... that tool belt and the size of that adjustable end wrench she’s carrying on her waist whilst fully straddling over the AXE keel-beam says a thousand good/fun words. I’ve a question for ya! How’d ya ever teach Flic to hold such sturdy power packs with their rods (like that the drill and bit) so perfectly vertically and at full attention for long periods of drilling... by using two hands at once, no less?? LOL LOL LOL ... Please, don’t answer that question in public!!

Get it on me Mate / Matt – You’ve got it going!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #572
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
WOW - I can almost imagine her gliding through the water now.

And let me say - I think you really have a couple of winners there. Both of your girls are definite keepers. Flic and the AXE.

Thanks mate! ... Yeah Im very lucky to have a supportive girl for sure. Its a fine balance and without one there certainly wouldnt be the other! Happy wife happy life and all that

Thanks again for your support and for following my thread mate!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #573
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I second that...
Thanks for following my thread and for your support Doc
I Really appreciate your comments and support
Old 08-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #574
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
My hats off to you hendo, that is an ambitious project!
Thanks SoF ...
Old 08-05-2013, 03:27 AM   #575
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Eyee Me Mattie

It's pretty obvious your gal AXE is one in ten thousand and it sure looks like your girl Flic is one in a Million! Heck... that tool belt and the size of that adjustable end wrench she’s carrying on her waist whilst fully straddling over the AXE keel-beam says a thousand good/fun words. I’ve a question for ya! How’d ya ever teach Flic to hold such sturdy power packs with their rods (like that the drill and bit) so perfectly vertically and at full attention for long periods of drilling... by using two hands at once, no less?? LOL LOL LOL ... Please, don’t answer that question in public!!

Get it on me Mate / Matt – You’ve got it going!!

Arrgh Art meee Mateyyyy!!!

Yeah i sure am a lucky fella hey!

I'll leave the rest of your comment up to your imagination but lest just say, Flic doesnt limp when she walks becasue she has a sore foot

Thanks again for your support mate! i really do appreciate your input
Old 09-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #576

City: brisbane
Vessel Name: Pacific Pearl
Vessel Model: ex pearl lugger sari rizah built 1957 brisbane
hello hendo KING OF PLYWOOD

hi hendo, i am still searching for the holy grail. i travelled to bundy yesterday [800k return trip] to look at cruiser, 39ft of plywood that had been left out in the rain ! it was on the dry getting the hull painted and bottom antifouled. when i got inside and into the bow i could rub the first layer of ply away with my fingers. i tried in around the motor and the same .comes of like horse hair out of an old mattress.the salesman said i can pour epoxy on it to fix it. the hull is dynal sheathed.i think is best to stay away.what your thoughts?[also i could feel moisture without a moisture meter] last week i looked at aconverted prawn trawler that had stainless plates screwed on the inside of the ribs [some were "cracked"] the bilge was used to store any old oil,grease,and leftover vomit.the bilge pump worked very well as the only leak i could see squirted water at about a litre a minute. this boat buying process is very disheartening. both boats are 50-60k. i've had my say, i feel better, hows your boat going? thanks tom
tomtom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #577
Guru

Hi all,
Sorry ive not been around here updating my threads etc. My phone took a crap when it downloaded the iO6 update. The update fried the bluetooth and wireless chipset in the iPhone causing me to loose those two conections, meaning i have to actually sit at my PC in the study than sit on the couch with my iPhone and contribute on here.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #578
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom56 View Post
hi hendo, i am still searching for the holy grail. i travelled to bundy yesterday [800k return trip] to look at cruiser, 39ft of plywood that had been left out in the rain ! it was on the dry getting the hull painted and bottom antifouled. when i got inside and into the bow i could rub the first layer of ply away with my fingers. i tried in around the motor and the same .comes of like horse hair out of an old mattress.the salesman said i can pour epoxy on it to fix it. the hull is dynal sheathed.i think is best to stay away.what your thoughts?[also i could feel moisture without a moisture meter] last week i looked at aconverted prawn trawler that had stainless plates screwed on the inside of the ribs [some were "cracked"] the bilge was used to store any old oil,grease,and leftover vomit.the bilge pump worked very well as the only leak i could see squirted water at about a litre a minute. this boat buying process is very disheartening. both boats are 50-60k. i've had my say, i feel better, hows your boat going? thanks tom
Hi Tommo!
Thanks for your message mate!
i'll systematically go through your email and try provide my advice on what youve raised.

Bundy trip! ... Wow thats a long way to go only to discover that shes in that way! ... Did the owner elude to that or provide any pics prior to headingup there? I'd be pissed if i drove up and found that without first being told. Mind you. all would not be lost as i'd be happy as a pig in sh!t at the Bundy Rum distillery!

From what ive found and learnt, Freshwater is the death of timber so pay real close attention to one that has been on the hard for a while.

1.) Never listen to a boat salesman! ... especially one that sells secondhand boats. They are full of sh!t, dont care about you and only have eyes on the coin!. Just like used car salesmen ...

2.) Whilst you could pour epoxy in there as a repair, and without seeing the pics or knowing your skill level i'd say walk away mate. Its not as easy as just putting epoxy in there. If it is why arent they doing it? .. heck, theyve gone to the effort of pulling it, painting it and antifouling it, why not just epoxy there as well. I know why. Cause he's full of sh!t and knows that they'll be wasting their time and money so thank them for saving you money and walk away!

A bit of FYI for ya: The ply on AXE wasnt as bad as the one you looked at and i still had to replace it.

One thing the salesman neglected to tell you about epoxy is that it wont stick to an oily surface or substrate. Whilst it may possibly penitrate in the bow, the bilge will not be repairable that way. To be honest, once engine oil is in the timber, you'll be pushing sh!t up hill to get it out!

Moisture is another issue, especially if you can feel it haha ... Whilst i am all for rebuilding timber boats over buying plastic ones, this girl is gone mate. Theres no telling what these owners have done if they are happily painting her to sell. Dynell is a type of cotton cloth. dont mix it up with fibreglass cloths like bi-axel or alike. It is real old technology and should be avoided. You will find the only thing holding that hull together is the dynell and a few crapped out nails.

In relation to the prawn trawler. Dont be disheartened by a couple of broken ribs if that all that is wrong with her. Ribs can be fixed. some easier than others.

I looked around for a completed timber boat for a long long time with no success. Whilst some were nice, at the end of the day i didnt trust the work that was done. It may well have been fine but at the end of the day i needed to be happy with it and the only way is to do it myself. Its harder and more expensive but i know what ive done, how i did it and how to fix it if i did it wrong.

When i was a house carpenter and builder i saw it all the time with poor house renovations. Someone buys a newley renovated house and finds that a couple of tiles keep falling off and wont stick. next thing they are having their whole bathroom ripped out because the waterproofing wasnt done right causing the shower to leak.

Which boat is "The Perfect One" ... not sure there really is such a thing. AXE will never be finished or perfect but i'll come bloody close!

Speaking of AXE, Not much has been done on her since my last update. Weather has been sh!tfull so ive just been chillin on the lounge with Flic.

I hope ive helped but incase ive left you with more answers than questions give me a call
Old 09-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #579
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Hendo good to see you are still around.
Hope all is going well.
TomTom,
Qld fishing brokerage is a good web site to visit for ex trawlers. It would even be worth ringing Kev Baker the owner/broker to see what is available. Top bloke and he has his finger on the pulse of the Qld. fishing industry.
Home
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #580
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Hendo good to see you are still around.
Hope all is going well.
TomTom,
Qld fishing brokerage is a good web site to visit for ex trawlers. It would even be worth ringing Kev Baker the owner/broker to see what is available. Top bloke and he has his finger on the pulse of the Qld. fishing industry.
Home
Cheers
Benn
Hi Benn,
Yeah cheers mate. Still ticking along

@ Tom - If the bloke Benn reccommended is half as good as the bloke he reccommended to me for my Paragon (Wes Jordan from Marine Transmission) then itd pay to give him a call. Whilst i'm super sceptical of salesmen and avoid them like nothing else, if Benn says he's a goer, then he's probably alright ...