Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #501
Senior Member
 
AussieCraig's Avatar
 
City: New Braunfels
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sunset Wanderer
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 176
This is the first time I have actually read your story from start to finish mate...youre a friggin legend. Seriously. The job you have done on your boat is superlative. Props mate, props...

Craig
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Craig 'Aussie' White
'Not all who wander are lost...'

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #502
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,792
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom56 View Post
hi hendo, boat now is only 5.8 carribean reef runner with 4.3 omc sterndrive. i want to buy something 35-40ft to go north . i plan to live aboard. thats why i'm here, to pick up as much as info as i can. i plan to hang about moreton bay and do a nav course and learn all i can about whatever boat i buy. so if i ask any stupid questions .they might not seem so silly to me! all good tom
Tom, hi. As Hendo mentioned, I'm based at Horizon Shores, just a bit north of Jacobs Well, and it is a good marina, with all the support facilities one could ask for, and good hard stand, covered stand, or covered stack facilities for all sizes of trailer type boats. Good launching arrangements also, and more to the point, if you are interested in trading up, a couple of brokerages, which have quite a wide range of boats for sail, including trawler style, on the marina and ready for inspection.
__________________

__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #503
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCraig View Post

Ohh mate...don't put that on the boat, frame it and put it on the wall of the boat !
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #504
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCraig View Post
This is the first time I have actually read your story from start to finish mate...youre a friggin legend. Seriously. The job you have done on your boat is superlative. Props mate, props...

Craig
Nah not a legend. Far from it. I see it more as stubbornly crazy and too far committed. Lol

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and posts!

Thanks for your encouragement and support.

If you see a better way to do something and want to help with suggestions and ideas PLEASE DO.

there's no plans to go off for this boat so I'm making it up as I go so may as well put in ideas from everyone all over the world and make it a one of a kind.

BruceK has named her the AXE and everyone else has made contributions with designs etc. so feel free to chime in at anytime.

Thanks again for your support.

Cheers mate.

Cheers mate
Hendo.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #505
Senior Member
 
AussieCraig's Avatar
 
City: New Braunfels
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sunset Wanderer
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Nah not a legend. Far from it. I see it more as stubbornly crazy and too far committed. Lol

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and posts!

Thanks for your encouragement and support.

If you see a better way to do something and want to help with suggestions and ideas PLEASE DO.

there's no plans to go off for this boat so I'm making it up as I go so may as well put in ideas from everyone all over the world and make it a one of a kind.

BruceK has named her the AXE and everyone else has made contributions with designs etc. so feel free to chime in at anytime.

Thanks again for your support.

Cheers mate.

Cheers mate
Hendo.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
I will give it some thought mate, just so you know I am waiting on an email reply from the solar guru/sparky where I work.

What do you intend to do with the Axe mate ? Weekender, live aboard, world travel ?
__________________
Craig 'Aussie' White
'Not all who wander are lost...'

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #506
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCraig View Post

What do you intend to do with the Axe mate ? Weekender, live aboard, world travel ?
I just hope he don't get the idea to ship it to Stockton air freight.

But if he does I can handle receiving it now lol
__________________
Craig - AKA Some Clueless Idiot

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #507
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCraig View Post

I will give it some thought mate, just so you know I am waiting on an email reply from the solar guru/sparky where I work.

What do you intend to do with the Axe mate ? Weekender, live aboard, world travel ?
Weekender mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #508
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

I just hope he don't get the idea to ship it to Stockton air freight.

But if he does I can handle receiving it now lol
Hahahaha chuck her on a pallet and shrink wrap it LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #509
Moderator Emeritus
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post

Some people you may want to engage with on here are three "local to you" lads called
1.) PeteB (Moderator)
2.) BruceK (Moderator)
3.) Tidahapah.

They are from the Brisbane / gold coast area.

First thing i recommend for you to do seeing as you're in Ipswich is getting down to the Goldy and picking up a SARCA or SARCA exel anchor mate!

Cheers
Matt
Probably not important but I`m (BruceK) in Sydney, not Gold Coast/BNE.
A proud Sarca Super owner, I happily recommend Sarca too.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #510
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Probably not important but I`m (BruceK) in Sydney, not Gold Coast/BNE.
A proud Sarca Super owner, I happily recommend Sarca too.
Apologies Bruce :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #511
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Wifey feeling better lately so she wanted to spend time working on AXE so we spent the day working on the bow and doing a clean up of the hard.

We ordered an 8m3 skip bin and filled it pretty quickly. Need a 10m3 next Saturday to finish off what's left and that'll be it for the old boat known as AceHigh II. All cut up and taken away. We also worked on the chines, ribs and bow panels. All in all we made good progress on AXE today and had fun in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4178327304.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	21012   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1858608070.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	21013   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3576456649.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	21014   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-25661486.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	21015   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2604750380.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	21016  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3873350050.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	21017   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1020854086.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	21018   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1064513069.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	21019   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-88326735.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	21020   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3756786199.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	21021  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1006029439.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	21022   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2848957866.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	21023   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1444145804.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	21024   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3635901109.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	21025   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1008563454.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	21026  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-998029352.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	21027   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2211529214.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	21028   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3633284228.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	21029   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2008380088.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	21030   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2919713418.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	21031  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3687847426.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	21032  
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #512
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Wifey feeling better lately so she wanted to spend time working on AXE so we spent the day working on the bow and doing a clean up of the hard.

We ordered an 8m3 skip bin and filled it pretty quickly. Need a 10m3 next Saturday to finish off what's left and that'll be it for the old boat known as AceHigh II. All cut up and taken away. We also worked on the chines, ribs and bow panels. All in all we made good progress on AXE today and had fun in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Out wid de old

In wit da New... AXE!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #513
Moderator Emeritus
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,004
Good news all round Hendo!
What`s actually left of AceHigh II in the rebuild? The keel? What else?
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #514
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Good news all round Hendo!
What`s actually left of AceHigh II in the rebuild? The keel? What else?
Yeah things are looking up and up each day. Very grateful for the turnaround fingers crossed its going to keep looking up!

Unfortunately the only thing left of AceHigh II (timber wise) is the keel, stem and the post thingy on the front of the boat that you can tie off an anchor to or be towed from.

When i was rebuilding the engine and gearbox, i discovered that the engine can't be original as it is a 1991 model as boat was circa 1958. The paragon gearbox is original IMHO as that is from the same era as the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #515
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Off topic i know

So ... I know you guys from the States have NFL but i found out on the news tonight that we have a WA Team and I think watching our Western Australian ladies team (Western Angles) play is far more exciting than watching your guys play :-D

Personally I couldn't care less if they can or can't play but It'd sure be fun watchin!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2244671696.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	21242   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4187136057.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	21243   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-994095412.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	21244   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2916082122.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	21245   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3173769477.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	21246  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1922241881.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	21247   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3825848135.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	21248   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-991124626.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	21249   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3739201123.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	21250   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-316216413.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	21251  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2139138538.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	21252   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2475793204.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	21253   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2601739612.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	21254  
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #516
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Off topic i know

So ... I know you guys from the States have NFL but i found out on the news tonight that we have a WA Team and I think watching our Western Australian ladies team (Western Angles) play is far more exciting than watching your guys play :-D

Personally I couldn't care less if they can or can't play but It'd sure be fun watchin!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
OMG Matt!!! OMG........

Been several decades since I suited for football up - BUT - No prob... Can I start the U.S.A. male team (i.e., “Ultra-Stride-Athletes”) to compete with Western Angles team??? Would become great fun! Just think of the pileups – might take a long time to get them apart!

Your picts are too cool, i.e. SEXY! However, I must say that although I wondered why a complete female football team section was never started up... Western Angles “suit-up” is not what I expected!! LOL
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #517
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

OMG Matt!!! OMG........

Been several decades since I suited for football up - BUT - No prob... Can I start the U.S.A. male team (i.e., “Ultra-Stride-Athletes”) to compete with Western Angles team??? Would become great fun! Just think of the pileups – might take a long time to get them apart!

Your picts are too cool, i.e. SEXY! However, I must say that although I wondered why a complete female football team section was never started up... Western Angles “suit-up” is not what I expected!! LOL
HAHAHAHA I so knew you'd reply to that post mate! HAHA.

In light of recent developments, AXE may take longer to build depending on game fixtures ;-) lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #518
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
And that's all she wrote folks!

The hard is all cleaned, AHII is all in the bin. It's amazing how much room you have when you clean up hey!

It's also amazing how much I've learnt along the way so far. I found a bag of gland packing at the bottom of the rubbish pile today. By its location, it was one of the first items that came off the boat.

I can assume that at the time, Not knowing what it was I pegged it at the pile. Fast foward 10 months and not only do I know about gland packing and glands etc and i now im like oh sh!t I better keep that lol. It's amazing how much ya learn hey!

Tried to sort through the rubbish and find items of interest to keep and reuse. The only things I kept was the bow rail, the post thingy and the old winch that use to pull pots up from the deep. The winch is rooted but the spindle thing isn't so I'll keep that and use it as a door stop of something. Other than that AHII is all but gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2612012022.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	21291   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-340158540.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	21292   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-985053221.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	21293   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1792161372.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	21294  
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:49 AM   #519
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,699
I can't wait to do that with all my shop equipment and household furnishings to go wandering the rest of my natural days with my bride. Progressing nicely Matt

Nifty new avatar there too.
__________________
Craig - AKA Some Clueless Idiot

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #520
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Progressing nicely Matt.
Thanks Mate! Unfortunately for one reason or another, I'm way behind on my initial schedule tho. I had AXE down for final fit out stage with launch and sea trial in 8 weeks with a total build time of 12 months.

Looks like it'll be more like another 12 months IMO.

I also underestimated what needed to be done and what was actually involved and didn't adjust my timeline accordingly.

Ah oh well, as long as she gets done then that's all that matters.

It'll be worth the wait.



Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Nifty new avatar there too.
Yeah you like? I was at work and got bored so decided to open a picture I had of my prop and coloured the background in and chuck up her name. I'm hindsight tho I should have done gold lettering not white. Should be an easy fix

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1259259431.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	21295  
__________________

__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012