Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So Matt, I’m curious, now that you’re an underwear model, does the boat feel any different? Does it feel overbuilt? You designed and built your ship for an entirely different Hendo, after all. Will you be making any changes?

So Matt, I’m curious, now that you’re an underwear model, does the boat feel any different? Does it feel overbuilt? You designed and built your ship for an entirely different Hendo, after all. Will you be making any changes?

Haha well I can now fit into the anchor locker whereas before I couldn’t haha

Matt - As always - SOLSTICE details looking great!

I recommend you get your newly acquired svelte-self into HD weight training. You can soon be on bow of your boat in a brief swimsuit on cover of a boating mag!!

Next tat... "Detail Man" :thumb:

I've said this before you guys - he's not building a boat - he's building a museum piece:thumb:
Looking good Matt - keep it up.

Matt - As always - SOLSTICE details looking great!

I recommend you get your newly acquired svelte-self into HD weight training. You can soon be on bow of your boat in a brief swimsuit on cover of a boating mag!!

Next tat... "Detail Man" :thumb:

Haha I already am doing training mate. I actually won a competition and beat a heap of other guys. I lost most visceral fat, had most muscle gain and had most sustained cardio.

IMG_1066.JPG

Congratulations on the wins.

They say, even brand new boats have problems. I have a feeling yours will not. To well thought out.

New boat w problems ... can it be?

INDEED,
I worked w a builder (Uniflite(highly respected)) to correct design problems. Mostly having to do w CG issues having to do w all boats being different. The location of all the stuff in the boat like sanitation systems, generators, AC, fuel tanks ect ect. You couldn’t have the long range fuel tanks in the same place in every boat as other heavy equipment upsets the CG, mostly in roll axis (list). So boats are more different than one would think.

But pre-blister days the Uniflite was a very high quality boat. A little heavy and wide. A very different boat than the TollyCraft that was their direct competitor. The TollyCraft had narrower chines w considerable flare whereas the Uniflite had more beam and lots more chine beam. Being wider and heavier the Uniflite took lots of power. The 42 had twin JT 6-71’s and other powerful engines. Most were turbo’d as I recall.
But the Uniflite had a great ride and was known for it’s seaworthyness and durability.

One day while working on the line I mentioned to an older long timer at Uniflite that it seemed there was a lot of repair work being done as a result of worker mistakes and carelessness. He said a new boat receives more wear and tear during construction than through most of it’s normal life.

Last edited:
New boat w problems ... can it be?

INDEED,
I worked w a builder (Uniflite(highly respected)) to correct design problems. Mostly having to do w CG issues having to do w all boats being different. The location of all the stuff in the boat like sanitation systems, generators, AC, fuel tanks ect ect. You couldn’t have the long range fuel tanks in the same place in every boat as other heavy equipment upsets the CG, mostly in roll axis (list). So boats are more different than one would think.

But pre-blister days the Uniflite was a very high quality boat. A little heavy and wide. A very different boat than the TollyCraft that was their direct competitor. The TollyCraft had narrower chines w considerable flare whereas the Uniflite had more beam and lots more chine beam. Being wider and heavier the Uniflite took lots of power. The 42 had twin JT 6-71’s and other powerful engines. Most were turbo’d as I recall.
But the Uniflite had a great ride and was known for it’s seaworthyness and durability.

One day while working on the line I mentioned to an older long timer at Uniflite that it seemed there was a lot of repair work being done as a result of worker mistakes and carelessness. He said a new boat receives more wear and tear during construction than through most of it’s normal life.

Used to own a Uniflite - 1973 31' sedan, twin screw, flying bridge. Really nice boat!

Currently own a Tollycraft - 1977 34' tri cabin, twin screw, flying bridge. Really nice boat!

Our Uni, with twin 350 cid, 260 hp "Chris Craft" engines when run at 4,800 rpm [5,500 +/- rpm was WOT] handled somewhat like a weight restricted large sports boat. Pretty damn agile in twists and turns. We usually cruised at about 3,200 rpm... on a quick flat plane.

Our Tolly, has twin 350 cid, 255 hp Mercruiser engines. She's substantially heavier with more bottom to water contact than the 31' Uni. At 5,400 [WOT] she handles like a very, very overweight large sports boat. At 4,800 rpm she settles down and does not feel anywhere as nimble as the Uni did at that rpm. We usually cruise Tolly just below her [7.58 calculated knots] hull speed. For wanting to get somewhere quicker I can push her onto full plane [at 16/17 knots]. That speed = 1 nmpg. Below hull speed [at 6.5 to 7 knots] = 2 nmpg.

Being a good bit larger and designed to have much more room inside and outside; Tolly tricabin is 3X more outfitted and comfortable than the sedan Uni.

As often said about boats: "There's a trade off for everything"! We traded water handling speed and agility for lesser speed and agility... but MUCH improved comfortable living accommodations.

Both boat makes were expertly built to meet the designs in excellent marine plans with sturdy material and product choices.

I apologize for helping to hijack Matt's thread.

Not till I'd entered my post to Eric did I realize this is Matt's thread.

Please forgive me; and I guess Eric too!

Best regards,

Art

Really impressed on the weight loss, Matt. That's awesome!

Boat is pretty cool too...

This afternoon I made up a switch panel for the wiper motor controls then framed out, boarded up and upholstered the bulkhead in the bedroom. I then finished off the flooring downstairs and installed the toilet shelving unit.

IMG_1211.jpg
IMG_1212.jpg
IMG_1213.jpg
IMG_1216.jpg
IMG_1214.jpg
IMG_1217.jpg

Matt - Looks like a roomy head. NICE Layout/Work! - Art

fantastic!!!!
You have a lot of cabinets and storage in your boat.

Yes, indeed. In fact, apologies for using a somewhat overused expression, but this boat's like a flipping tardis inside. Looks way bigger than the outside.

Hendo,
You do realize, sometime in the near future you gotta get the boat wet?

This afternoon I popped down and made a template for the internal stairs and then wired up the switches for the wiper motors and started to fit the arms

IMG_1368.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
IMG_1407.jpg
IMG_1406.jpg

This afternoon I popped down and made a template for the internal stairs and then wired up the switches for the wiper motors and started to fit the arms

Hey Matt - Sure am glad you are making progress!

Funny thing in your wording: "... I popped down..."

In that - in America popped up is the usual way the the word "popped" is stated.

Guess that really proves that Australia is truly the "Beautiful Land Down Under"! - LOL

Stay safe. Stay Healthy. And, stay doing a great job on SOLSTICE!!

Looking forward to her [i.e. your] eventual Splash....

Hi all,
It’s with a heavy heart I advise you all that SOLSTICE has been sold.
Some of you know that felicity and I broke up a while ago and well she ate her sights on the boat as part of the separation. I couldn’t afford to pay her out so I listed the boat for sale. She sold in under 24hrs. The new owner has said he wants me to come down for the launch. Not sure how I feel about that. She was a big part of my life, as she was for you all.Thank you to everyone that made it possible and for all of your support. Such a sad end but I’ll sign out for now
Regards
Matt

Matt,

Ouch! On the flip side what an adventure you have had with them. When the time is right you will embark on a new adventure and it will be even more amazing. You have my information and are always welcome if you get my way.

Cheers,

I checked my calendar to be sure it was not April 1st, so hard to believe!
Cannot imagine how you must feel, very sorry that such a thing falls on your shoulders after so much effort.

L

Jeez Matt, that is tragic on so many levels. I'm sorry for all that's happened to you and I hope you will be able to return one day and continue to regale us with your progress and skills as your life moves on. All the best, mate!

Greetings,
Mr. H. What Mr. X said. PLEASE keep in touch even if to simply say hello. You've been part of the TF family for, what is it?, eight years now. All the best.

ih geez mate....after all this work. Sorry to hear the bad news. Well I guess its not all bad as this means you start a new life rid of old baggage that may have held you back. Really sad about your losing Solstice.

Britt

Matt: sorry to hear this, been there myself and its rough at best. But: you worked your ass off on that boat, you have earned the right to see her launch. Do that, I promise you wont be sorry, in fact it will help. Better days are ahead, I’m living proof of that. Go see her launch

I always viewed you as a very special person with great strength as a common element.
What happened took money but the gift you have is beyond money.
So you’ll do another Solstice but she may not look like the old Solstice at all.
You’ll be Matt the builder man forever .. especially in this neck of the woods.
You should be in R&D I’m think’in. But that would probably be someone else’s gig. And a guy like you won’t be happy putting someone else's ideas together.
However ideas probably won’t flow though until you’re over this hill.
And don’t take your time Matt. It’s not your style.

Take some pics at launch and make a final share.

Last edited:
Two words, Holy Crap!
Matt I hate to hear it, sure enjoyed following your work

Back
Top Bottom