Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Old 02-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #301
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Hendo,
I am over in NZ at the moment but when I get home I will try and find the data on the supplier of the drive plates I hade made and supplied from the UK.
They were that cheap I got 2 and the guy made them and had them shipped to me within a week.
These were at the same price as 1 that would have taken longer to supply in Aus.
Cheers
Benn
Wow cool. That would be awesome. Thanks mate!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #302
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Hendo,
I just looked up my old post on "Engine Transplant"
The makers were lancing marine in the UK
Welcome to Lancing Marine

I actuall rang them at one stage to confirm the number of splines and SAE requirement for my drive plates.

Cheers
Benn

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #303
Guru

Quote:
Hendo,
I just looked up my old post on "Engine Transplant"
The makers were lancing marine in the UK
Welcome to Lancing Marine

I actuall rang them at one stage to confirm the number of splines and SAE requirement for my drive plates.

Cheers
Benn
Hi mate.
Thanks for the info and link. I sent my over to Wes at the beginning of the week. He said he'll see if he can help. I'll forward this link on to him incase he can't sort it locally.
Thanks again mate
Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #304
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Hahahaha Fosters!, Fosters is sh!t. I actually don't know anyone in Australia that's drinks it. It's a common misconception that us aussies drink that crap. I'm a Bundy rum and coke man ;-)
chuckle....thats funny!...I was sure that would get a rise outa you..
crap is correct, each time i have tried it it always tasted the same, crappy.
Bundy rum? never tried that will have to give it a whirl
Old 02-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #305
Guru

Bundy Rum commonly known in Queensland as "Cane Cutters Cordial"
It's nice with Ginger Ale as well, cuts out that Coke taste.
As mo old mane used to say id you won't fight with Bundy in you you are an absolute coward.
cheers
Benn
Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #306
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Many years ago a friend of mine returned from a visit to Australia with something called Dr. Jurd's Jungle Juice. I seem to remember a sweetish tasting brew which produced a formidable hangover. The label carried the wording "Makes me feel 3 years younger says 103 year old Mavis Wobbly".
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #307
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalwaters View Post
Many years ago a friend of mine returned from a visit to Australia with something called Dr. Jurd's Jungle Juice. I seem to remember a sweetish tasting brew which produced a formidable hangover. The label carried the wording "Makes me feel 3 years younger says 103 year old Mavis Wobbly".
...yep, thats been my experiance with rum and cactus juice, the wormy stuff.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #308
Veteran Member

About 15 years ago, my wife and I spent three weeks in eastern Australia and had a great time. I fell in love with Vitamin B but it apparently isn't imported into the US. Managed to get some from a guy who worked in the Aus embassy in Wash. DC once and haven't seen it since. We flew home to Virginia on my birthday which lasted 45 hours, thanks to the International Date Line. For those of you who haven't been there, Vitamin B is Victoria Bitters.

Gary
VAtrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #309
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtrawlerguy View Post
About 15 years ago, my wife and I spent three weeks in eastern Australia and had a great time. I fell in love with Vitamin B... For those of you who haven't been there, Vitamin B is Victoria Bitters.

Gary
Locally called "VB", short for Victoria Bitter (no "s"). Recently relaunched on the market, having lost favour and market share to numerous imports and local small producer "boutique" beers.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #310
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Locally called "VB", short for Victoria Bitter (no "s"). Recently relaunched on the market, having lost favour and market share to numerous imports and local small producer "boutique" beers.
Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Consumption of the big brands is way off in the US, too, and boutique breweries are growing. Was the relaunch just a marketing campaign or did they change the brew? I rarely drink the mass produced beers preferring instead the small local brews, usually ales but some beers. My son-in-law makes a kick-a$$ IPA and there is a new brewery near my office that makes a range of products, one near 9% alcohol. Two pints of that knocked me on my butt.

Gary
Old 02-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #311
Veteran Member

BruceK - I just noticed that you're in Sydney. We flew into Sydney and stayed several days in a Marriott hotel downtown. The day after arrival I went out for a run around the harbor. There was nothing foreign - it was like being in any other city in North America until I went to cross the street into the park by the harbor. Of course I looked the wrong way for traffic when I stepped off the curb. The screeching tires and honking horns nearly gave me a heart attack but I didn't make that mistake again. The other scare was when my wife drove the wrong way around 2 roundabouts up in Cairnes. I was amazed at how unperturbed the other drivers were and guessed it was a fairly common occurance.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #312
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Consumption of the big brands is way off in the US, too, and boutique breweries are growing. Was the relaunch just a marketing campaign or did they change the brew?
Gary
Just a relaunch I think, saw an advert on TV. I don`t drink it, usually have low alcohol beer about 2.7%, to be alert onboard, stay under.05, and allow for some decent Oz wine. Boring I guess, but hopefully safe, you never know when you`ll have to deal with something.
Our high $, especially against the Euro,brings lots of imports,and not just beer.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #313
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
BruceK - I just noticed that you're in Sydney. We flew into Sydney - it was like being in any other city in North America until I went to cross the street into the park by the harbor. Of course I looked the wrong way for traffic when I stepped off the curb. The screeching tires and honking horns nearly gave me a heart attack but I didn't make that mistake again. The other scare was when my wife drove the wrong way around 2 roundabouts up in Cairnes. I was amazed at how unperturbed the other drivers were and guessed it was a fairly common occurance.
Hope you enjoyed your visit.Cairns drivers are more relaxed than Sydney ones.
Now and then, someone who drives on the right gets off a flight tired, picks up a rental car, drives out of an airport, and sadly something bad happens. Rental cars often have prominent warning stickers.
I`ve driven ok in USA/Canada/Europe, but I`d like to forget a near miss in France, so easy to revert to the habits of a lifetime.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #314
Guru

VB (Vomit Brew) and other unsavoury names is on the decline in Aus as are the main stream brews all over the world.
the Craft Brewers are really doing well.
I am presently in NZ and some of the craft brews i have had over here are really good compared with the stuff that was brewed here years ago.
The same in Aus.

I took the vow years ago no low alcohol beer passes my lips.
I would rather drink one quality beeer than a couple of medicore low al beers.
They don't make low alcohol (quality) wines thank god.
Cheers
Benn
Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #315
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Guys, you'll hopefully laugh at this, but my two sons are sort of beer connoisseurs, and often get me try an exotic, especially when we visited son number one in London two years ago. You can imagine their pitying looks when I try one they think is absolutely marvellous, only to put the glass down and say..." Yeah, not bad, but I'd still prefer a good old Hahn Premium Light".
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #316
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I took the vow years ago no low alcohol beer passes my lips.
I would rather drink one quality beeer than a couple of medicore low al beers.
They don't make low alcohol (quality) wines..
Cheers
Benn
Drinking low alcohol beer in Oz is almost heresy, but if it lets me enjoy a glass or 2 of great Aussie wine, and stay in control of the boat, it`s worth it.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #317
Guru

Well what an interesting weekend I just had.

Saturday morning was fine. The Perkins is now rebuilt so I've moved it closer to the boat so I can now clean her up, paint it and add new wiring and hoses.

Came home, went to my neighbours sons 17th birthday party/bbq and That was where the good times stopped.

Upon walking back home at the end of the night, I was greater by a fully scratched ute and I mean fully scratched up. Every panel was done. Even the roof and headlights. To top it off the person or persons finished off by smashing my windscreen.

Then this afternoon someone went to my neighbours house, asked for jake (birthday boy) when jake went to the door the person smashed jake in the face with a skateboard and ran off, into a waiting car and fled the scene.

So we had ambulances, plain clothes detectives, uniformed police, forensic police and a windscreen guy all running around.

WTF is going on in my street ???? :-/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-829022447.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	16702   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2810020236.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	16703   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4197796275.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	16704   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2389679744.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	16705   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1140778141.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	16706  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2904868120.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	16707   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-325918574.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	16708   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2787473727.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	16709  
Old 02-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #318
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Gob smacked! Don't know what to say other than I'm sorry for your grief.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #319
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
It sort of makes you sound a bit like an old fart when you find yourself saying, " what the heck is the world coming to?" but I'll say it anyway, because that is a fair question. What happened shouldn't have Hendo, and we really sympathise...
We can only hope they catch the b******ds...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #320
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Matt – I’m very sorry for you and your neighbors’ predicament of aggression and wish you all the best as repercussions unfold. At first blush it seems to me that your auto may have simply become mistakenly caught up in the process of mindless aggression toward others -at least I hope that is the case.

There too often becomes neither rhyme nor reason for the mutant growth of blatant mindless aggression that can revolve/evolve around a specific point of action which becomes a non plus in the long scene of ongoing and no longer relevant reactions. Luckily, usually, and eventually the emotional energies that propel the aggression subside and calm resumes. Unfortunately the resulting negative-accomplishments derived from the mindless aggressions become carved in stone... in that the aggressions’ negative-accomplishments really happened and therefore must be rectified best as possible. Mutilation or death to humans or other living entities as one or more of the negative-accomplishments become non rectifiable and the price of justice is sought to be paid by the aggressors.

Now... I’m going to say something that may Piss-Off some on this forum. And, I ask is that those that do become P-Offed look deeply inside themselves as to what actually empowers their personal P-Off. You may find the enemy.

Some of us (considerably on the side of the male gender) may carry a deeply personal emotional problem that can release nearly uncontrollable aggressive actions or reactions that create potentials for forms of mutant growths of aggressive violence. The younger in years (from approx 10 years to 60 years old) humans tends to be the most pronounced time span in life when this emotional problem can release mindless aggressive actions.

There are “mind” tools that can be learned to compel any person’s thoughtless aggressive tendencies to be stopped in their tracks. However, the aggressor must admit to their own problem and then they need to have learned the tools and they also need to use these tools when necessary to circumvent violence. The tools are easy to learn and can be employed inside one’s mind in nearly an instant. The person’s aggression tendency regarding a specific point of action that previously occurred may return... the tools can repeatedly be used again and again to decommission the aggression tendency that boils up. Each repeat aggression tendency will be lengthened between occurrences with its power of feeling diminished until it becomes completely under control regarding any reactions toward the previous specific point of action.

Good luck Matt – That things mellow-down and that in the end items come out OK for all concerned. - Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote