Old 07-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #2861
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
it doesn't matter what I really am, it is what I am being perceived as.....because the way I was acting or saying something...no matter how factual or true it might be....what matters more is how it is peceived.

'Nobody cares how much I know until they know how much I care' is a similar mantra I've tried (at times unsuccessfully) to live my life by.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #2862
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Not entirely correct.
A grade marine has zero flaws in face and interior layers.
The timber used must be to a certain grade and quality

Your ply uses the same glue, but the timber is of lesser grade,the interior layers do have voids and the exterior face has knots and polyester fillers.

I acknowledge that for your project and intended purpose it is suitable for the job but it is a looong way from marine.

I have not failed to realise anything, I have been in the boatbuilding game for 30 odd years so have seen what you are doing done countless times.

Call it what you like but fiberglassing one side of a panel while leaving the other side and ancillary framing exposed is not composite.

Composite is using a material as a core and glassing both sides to get a lightweight structure.
Foam, Balsa, Wester Red Cedar are the most common cores and have little inherent strength in themselves and rely on the outer skin separated by the core to gain strength.
It has effectively created an I beam.

Read more
here. Not the best article but it is generic and doesnt push certain brands. Boatbuilding Basics—Fiberglass, Composites, and Wood - PropTalk

No concerns from me.
Like I said 30 odd years in the game so I have seen just about everything in timber and actual composite builds.
I never had any issues with the materials you used

I did have issue with being called a dick and being told my suggestions were sub standard when you yourself are using ............lets just say, "appropriate" but not the best available yourself.

Again, no animosity or bitterness on my part
Have a nice day

Perhaps it's time for you to start your own thread and opine on your years of wisdom....the rest of us can continue to enjoy this one.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:50 AM   #2863
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
IMHO - Yup!

Roger roger will do mate. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Old 07-14-2016, 05:52 AM   #2864
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I use house paint in quite a few areas or spots on Willy.

Inside cockpit coaming, small amount of cockpit deck, Radar electronics platform and last but most important the salon floors. Exterior water based house paint (top qual Benjamin Moore) for all but the Salon floors. There I use top quality BM floor/patio water based paint. All has been good to satisfactory except the small area in the aft cockpit where it gets walked on a lot. It just gets too dirty looking assumably from the texture of the paint. Actually I'm going to work on that today. Going to replace it w Brightside like the other outside deck surfaces.

In the pic below is the first coat of the BM house paint on the inside of the cockpit. The green. It's now a light buff (tan) and it's a perfect place for house paint.

House paint is heavily engineered to last as long as possible on houses in all weather. You expect 10 years on a house and the only difference on a boat is salt. I don't see the salt environment to be a problem w house paint. Many fishermen in Alaska paint their wood boats w house paint. They leave excessive sanding and scraping to us "yachts".

Hi Eric.
Looking good mate. Glad it's working out for you buddy. Love to see some completed pics.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:58 AM   #2865
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Art,

From my experience KiwiGrip is absolutely worth the added cost. It is foolproof and hard as nails when fully cured and it hides minor imperfections.

I have tried top quality house /deck paints in the past with both ground walnut shells/garnet and good old sand. Problem is wear on the high spots. With the KiwiGrip type products the color is through and wear spots don't show as much.

Just my 2 cents,
Bob

Another Kiwigrip fan. Looks like I know which one I'm going with. What about you Art..?

Old 07-14-2016, 06:02 AM   #2866
Guru

Quote:
Damn glad that's over with! Don't think Matt listening to you any longer. But, maybe I'm wrong???

Yeah no I'm not. Unfortunately the comments still show when quoted tho :-/

Old 07-14-2016, 06:08 AM   #2867
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
'Nobody cares how much I know until they know how much I care' is a similar mantra I've tried (at times unsuccessfully) to live my life by.

How very zen of you Sensei

Old 07-14-2016, 06:36 AM   #2868
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
How very zen of you Sensei

Just doing my little part to spruce up your recently battered thread mate

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #2869
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Roger roger will do mate. Thanks for the heads up.

Additionally... as I recall being brought up by you and/or others pages ago, referring to possible ballast needs, launch her in slings if possible so you can gently splash her into water with plenty time to adjust ballast (if needed) before she floats free of the slings.

With my very limited knowledge of SOLSTICE's actual weight parameters/locations and bottom depth/width design it appears to me she should float fairly well on her own. I believe the stern extension you made will add a bunch to her "floatability"!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:06 AM   #2870
Art
Guru

Quote:
Another Kiwigrip fan. Looks like I know which one I'm going with. What about you Art..?

Sounds like Kiwigrip to me too... so far, that is. Jury's out with final verdict due on day of purchase/installation. Way things are going here in my time schedules it looks like this coming winter may be when I get opportunity to really spend spruce-up time (three + weeks in a row) on our Tolly, "The Office". But, then again maybe not till winter after. She's plenty capable of waiting for my planned/desired spruce-up projects, but, yearning to make love to her soon to be 40 yr. old bones, ... Am I Capable of Waiting??? LOL
Old 07-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #2871
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Just doing my little part to spruce up your recently battered thread mate

Haha all good brother. Hasn't bothered me. I just block and move on. Thanks anyway tho.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #2872
Guru

Quote:
Sounds like Kiwigrip to me too... so far, that is. Jury's out with final verdict due on day of purchase/installation. Way things are going here in my time schedules it looks like this coming winter may be when I get opportunity to really spend spruce-up time (three + weeks in a row) on our Tolly, "The Office". But, then again maybe not till winter after. She's plenty capable of waiting for my planned/desired spruce-up projects, but, yearning to make love to her soon to be 40 yr. old bones, ... Am I Capable of Waiting??? LOL

Lol mate I have a 4ltr tin of White Kiwigrip that you can have. I want grey now not white. Mind you its probably cheaper to buy it locally than to pay for postage on a 4ltr tin but the offer is there is you want it.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #2873
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
What about some help from a paint shop to tint the Kiwigrip you have to the grey you desire, Matt..? I don't think the tinting colour pigment from them would matter not being 'marine grade', whatever that means..?
Old 07-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #2874
Guru

Yeah I looked in to it and it can be tinted but I don't want to risk the wrong shade because I am going to need more than 4ltrs

Old 07-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #2875
Art
Guru

Quote:
Lol mate I have a 4ltr tin of White Kiwigrip that you can have. I want grey now not white. Mind you its probably cheaper to buy it locally than to pay for postage on a 4ltr tin but the offer is there is you want it.

TY Brother! But, Like I said - jury is still out on what exact deck covering I will decide to use upon date of actually doing it!
Old 07-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #2876
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Yeah I looked in to it and it can be tinted but I don't want to risk the wrong shade because I am going to need more than 4ltrs

My cut on gray for a deck is that light gra.y always appears darker once down and hotter on your feet.

The Interdeck gray is about 1/2 to 1/3 darker than I wish it was so take a look at their paint chips and see if someone can post good shots of kiwi grip gray as applied.

For me, next time at least the first coat might be a 50/50 mix white and gray. I use the white elsewhere so any further decisions won't make it a wasted purchase.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #2877

City: Iroquois, ON
Vessel Name: She:Kon
Vessel Model: Bateau TW28
Quote:
see if someone can post good shots of kiwi grip gray as applied.
Google Images, all the pics of Kiwi Grip you'll ever want to see

https://www.google.ca/search?q=kiwi+...mxCqUQ_AUICCgB

Sorry, couldn't filter them by grey colour
She-Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #2878

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:

Haha all good brother. Hasn't bothered me. I just block and move on. Thanks anyway tho.

What again was that birds name...
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #2879
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
My cut on gray for a deck is that light gra.y always appears darker once down and hotter on your feet.

The Interdeck gray is about 1/2 to 1/3 darker than I wish it was so take a look at their paint chips and see if someone can post good shots of kiwi grip gray as applied.

For me, next time at least the first coat might be a 50/50 mix white and gray. I use the white elsewhere so any further decisions won't make it a wasted purchase.
I just bought "ultra white" for my roof top. Now if I can get a white dinghy. Still think'in about using my 15' Aluma Craft canoe as a dink. Think I would switch back to the rubber ducky for winter duty as a 100% lifeboat.
I've had some experience mixing colors and I think white is dominant.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:42 AM   #2880
Guru

Starting to Skim Coat in Jotafair

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468838504.870483.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	54308
Click image for larger version