Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Birthday from us too!

With much respect, I really wish you would launch that work of art you are building, I worry that she is getting too too-heavy and your extraordinary skills are adding to the issue every time you add weight up high. One of my buds has been a tug captain since we were in high school (back when my relatives were sent to Oz for various reasons - Younghusband Peninsula?) and he has harangued me regularly over stability issues and I’m very sensitive to that. Is there a local agency that would do a stability evaluation for you? I don’t mean to be critical, I have followed the entire build and thread these years and I just want you (and Flic!) to live happily ever after.

Happy Birthday from us too!

With much respect, I really wish you would launch that work of art you are building, I worry that she is getting too too-heavy and your extraordinary skills are adding to the issue every time you add weight up high. One of my buds has been a tug captain since we were in high school (back when my relatives were sent to Oz for various reasons - Younghusband Peninsula?) and he has harangued me regularly over stability issues and I’m very sensitive to that. Is there a local agency that would do a stability evaluation for you? I don’t mean to be critical, I have followed the entire build and thread these years and I just want you (and Flic!) to live happily ever after.

Thanks mate. Not sure what tests could be done on the hardstand. Im not even sure how much it weighs. She won’t be moved or lifted until the interior and external paint work is finished.

Ok so you’ve scared me again with stability so I’ve been reading a heap of online stuff. I read this

“As a general rule of thumb, coastal cruisers should add at least 1,360kg (3,000 lb) to the displacement, and offshore cruisers at least 2,270kg (5,000 lb).
Much of this weight is liquid – water and fuel. You also have batteries, chargers, inverters, calorifiers and other add-ons, a toolbox and spare parts”

Based on that I have the following on or below the waterline.
(Excluding the weight of the hull)
800ltrs of Diesel - 800kgs
800ltrs of water - 800kgs
Perkins diesel - 900kgs(?)
Battery banks - 240kgs
300mtrs of 8mm anchor chain. -300kgs (?)
Tools and equipment - 200kgs

That’s about 3,200kgs of “ballast”
The empty hull was around 2,000kgs. So that’s 5,200kgs at the midrail which by comparison is double of what the article suggests. Not sure what the super structure weighs from the midrail up.

I also found a calculator and added in the info I know. Anything around 2.0 is considered good stability for a boat. Mine is 1.3

I guess no one will really know till it’s in the water and we start trying to roll her over

IMG_2795.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so you’ve scared me again with stability so I’ve been reading a heap of online stuff. I read this

“As a general rule of thumb, coastal cruisers should add at least 1,360kg (3,000 lb) to the displacement, and offshore cruisers at least 2,270kg (5,000 lb).
Much of this weight is liquid – water and fuel. You also have batteries, chargers, inverters, calorifiers and other add-ons, a toolbox and spare parts”

Based on that I have the following on or below the waterline.
(Excluding the weight of the hull)
800ltrs of Diesel - 800kgs
800ltrs of water - 800kgs
Perkins diesel - 900kgs(?)
Battery banks - 240kgs
300mtrs of 8mm anchor chain. -300kgs (?)
Tools and equipment - 200kgs

That’s about 3,200kgs of “ballast”
The empty hull was around 2,000kgs. So that’s 5,200kgs at the midrail which by comparison is double of what the article suggests. Not sure what the super structure weighs from the midrail up.

I also found a calculator and added in the info I know. Anything around 2.0 is considered good stability for a boat. Mine is 1.3

I guess no one will really know till it’s in the water and we start trying to roll her over

View attachment 79116

dont forget the 800kgs of beer.

Matt my mate - I understand your concern and feel it is good that you are concerned about SOLSTICE's operational capabilities after launch. You'd be blind to not be concerned.

Having watched ALL you do [and have done from the start] for/with SOLSTICE; especially regarding the "in general" weight distributions you have sort of automatically installed in her... air-height rollover weight and natural ballast COG weight distribution factors seem to be in general accordance with one another. Ballast-weight types of product can be added/adjusted or removed once you splash and actually get the "feel of the deal" as to how she reacts to in-water-use conditions.

I believe it was wise of you to couple years ago decide SOLSTICE should not have flying bridge. That weight distribution effect may have created a too high rollover fulcrum.

There is no way that in such a "one-off" boat build and freehand design-creation while on the hard that any custom boat can become surely ready for all affected trim conditions once in the water. High production boat builders spend millions for engineering and in-water testing for first builds of new model boats before they can feel confident in its operational-trim capabilities under all conditions. Even then... the builders are forever tweaking and modifying design features as years on a model's production continues to create up to 1000's of new boats. A boat's operational trim realities are never perfect and have the same stigma attached as all other boat items - i.e. "There's a Trade-off for Everything!

The weight-distribution item about SOLSTICE that I believe will be your most carefully adjusted [after splash] will be her water-hull-trim conditions at different speeds. You have taken a sound hull-bottom design, that obviously worked well in years past, and modified it to a large degree in the rear section. And, of course modified it nearly completely in weight placements of superstructure and operational components as well as its internal 'creature comfort" layout items.

That said - There are many successful custom built one-offs that had no big money engineering accompany their build-out. Many of those one-off boats become stars in the boating community - Such as SOLSTICE most surely will!

IMO: Will SOLSTICE float? - Hell YES! Will she tip right over - Hell NO! Will she be fully/correctly water-operation-trimmed in the realm of ballast positions/placements - Probably Not! Can you make SOLSTICE behave for you once you get her wetttttt! - I'd say, having watched you create build-out magic for years - That Is A ":Slam Dunk"!

I got faith in your capabilities Brother!! :thumb: Get It ON!!!! :D

Matt my mate - I understand your concern and feel it is good that you are concerned about SOLSTICE's operational capabilities after launch. You'd be blind to not be concerned.

Having watched ALL you do [and have done from the start] for/with SOLSTICE; especially regarding the "in general" weight distributions you have sort of automatically installed in her... air-height rollover weight and natural ballast COG weight distribution factors seem to be in general accordance with one another. Ballast-weight types of product can be added/adjusted or removed once you splash and actually get the "feel of the deal" as to how she reacts to in-water-use conditions.

I believe it was wise of you to couple years ago decide SOLSTICE should not have flying bridge. That weight distribution effect may have created a too high rollover fulcrum.

There is no way that in such a "one-off" boat build and freehand design-creation while on the hard that any custom boat can become surely ready for all affected trim conditions once in the water. High production boat builders spend millions for engineering and in-water testing for first builds of new model boats before they can feel confident in its operational-trim capabilities under all conditions. Even then... the builders are forever tweaking and modifying design features as years on a model's production continues to create up to 1000's of new boats. A boat's operational trim realities are never perfect and have the same stigma attached as all other boat items - i.e. "There's a Trade-off for Everything!

The weight-distribution item about SOLSTICE that I believe will be your most carefully adjusted [after splash] will be her water-hull-trim conditions at different speeds. You have taken a sound hull-bottom design, that obviously worked well in years past, and modified it to a large degree in the rear section. And, of course modified it nearly completely in weight placements of superstructure and operational components as well as its internal 'creature comfort" layout items.

That said - There are many successful custom built one-offs that had no big money engineering accompany their build-out. Many of those one-off boats become stars in the boating community - Such as SOLSTICE most surely will!

IMO: Will SOLSTICE float? - Hell YES! Will she tip right over - Hell NO! Will she be fully/correctly water-operation-trimmed in the realm of ballast positions/placements - Probably Not! Can you make SOLSTICE behave for you once you get her wetttttt! - I'd say, having watched you create build-out magic for years - That Is A ":Slam Dunk"!

I got faith in your capabilities Brother!! :thumb: Get It ON!!!! :D

Thanks brother. Can’t wait to see how she behaves. It’s been a mighty big gamble putting so much time effort and money in to something I know nothing about. I just hope I can pull it off :)

Thanks brother. Can’t wait to see how she behaves. It’s been a mighty big gamble putting so much time effort and money in to something I know nothing about. I just hope I can pull it off :)

Breathe Brother - BREATHE! :flowers: :D

Matt, my Rose got rebuilt by shear determination, you and I are a lot a like, whatever problem, and I doubt there will be will just be another brick in the wall.

This afternoon at the boat. I sussed out the electrical work the sparky did on Saturday. Couple of things he needs to come back for that I’m not happy with but all in all pretty happy with the result. I then started cutting the panels for the front windscreen style and reveal covers from the templates I made last week.

IMG_2799.jpg
IMG_2801.jpg
IMG_2802.jpg
IMG_2803.jpg
IMG_2804.jpg
IMG_2806.jpg

Clearly, there are finished detail-oriented product developing inside SOLSTICE... congrats!!

This was your post from the other day

WOW - I have no idea why the lines!

Maybe something became askew in my computer? Or, maybe it's something to do with TF's site... Will check out all I can on this side.

Maybe some other TF member can tell me if the same happens for my posts on their screen??

Anyone else had this happen to their posts?

:popcorn:

Have you tried swearing at it?

This afternoon I continued on with the window surrounds. I added some 10mm packers to give me some space to the rear of the reveal pieces so I have room to slide the whole assembly in once it is all upholstered in leatherette. Unfortunately I decided to do this after I cut the face plate so there a bit of a gap now so I filled it with sikaflex 11FC and fibreglass mat. I’ll lay some more fibreglass on the face and return it on to the reveals tomorrow. Doesn’t look the prettiest atm but it will once it is wrapped up.

IMG_2817.jpg
IMG_2821.jpg
IMG_2818.jpg
IMG_2819.jpg

Talking about looking pretty when "wrapped up": Everything you do to SOLSTICE looks pretty.

We all [your self especially - I'm sure] look forward to the days when you can really wrap her up tightly in the final build-out getting ready for her/your BIG Splash Day!

Talking about looking pretty when "wrapped up": Everything you do to SOLSTICE looks pretty.

We all [your self especially - I'm sure] look forward to the days when you can really wrap her up tightly in the final build-out getting ready for her/your BIG Splash Day!

Mate I can’t wait.

And when the boat is all finished, tested in the water and you are happy then what will we do? You will have completed your project.

Lol Yeah not sure mate. I might start a new forum for house building and start a thread for my next project

Here's a bit of news for you.
The boat project will never be finished. You will be adding and changing things FOREVER. LOL

Back
Top Bottom