Old 07-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #2761
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Happy Window Day!!!
Dave - What are the dimensions of your work boat?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #2762
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Been using Interdeck for years, very easy to touch up...think it is a one part poly. Nonskid already in the paint and it isn't as thick as most nonskid so you get better coverage.

It is less aggressive in height, but for the average deck it can be done quickly, so if a little worn or nicked in an area....no big deal. It doesn't hide defects as well...but is easy to see the defect and fix for the next coat or painting time.
I agree with psneeld. I used the Squall Blue colour Interdeck on my boat, and it is a one pack poly paint. From what Benn says they might have a two pack epoxy type version as well, but the one pack is great because it does not need a hardener, the non-skid is not too coarse as to be hard on feet etc, is easily cleaned, and easily touched up, and easily applied by roller or brush.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #2763
Art
Guru

This run of info on deck coatings is really important. I thank all who have had experiences and supply input. I'm sure Matt will benefit from the posts. I too am seeking best "paint-on" deck covering.

IMO, from reading posts, it seems that Inderdeck offers best overall bang for the buck, for reduced efforts and for repairs/recoating.

My eyes and ears are wide open!
Old 07-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #2764
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
This run of info on deck coatings is really important. I thank all who have had experiences and supply input. I'm sure Matt will benefit from the posts. I too am seeking best "paint-on" deck covering.

IMO, from reading posts, it seems that Inderdeck offers best overall bang for the buck, for reduced efforts and for repairs/recoating.

My eyes and ears are wide open!
here is the Interdeck gray over a not so well prepped teak deck replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
1468068627015-1874508565.jpg  
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #2765
Guru

City: Perth
I'm just worried it'd be like sandpaper and if you stub ya toe or drag an ankle over it getting up you'll end up needing a skin graph.

I guess I'll need to visually see this interdeck product. I'm definitely not using sand in an epoxy or paint. I've been on decks that had it and it's like being on 40 grit sandpaper. Not what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Old 07-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #2766
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
I'm just worried it'd be like sandpaper and if you stub ya toe or drag an ankle over it getting up you'll end up needing a skin graph.

I guess I'll need to visually see this interdeck product. I'm definitely not using sand in an epoxy or paint. I've been on decks that had it and it's like being on 40 grit sandpaper. Not what I want.

The Interdeck is like 220 grit sandpaper. Enough for traction, but no skin tearing.

If in a slushy environment, I would want more traction, but it has been fine the last 6000 miles. In fact the firstvyear, I never got any down, just the primer and that wasnt even all that slipoery.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #2767
Art
Guru

After applying with non skid additive... to then reduce abrasiveness... couldn't the same Interdeck coating without non-skid be applied? And, wouldn't that procedure increase overall life span?
Old 07-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #2768
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
You have looked at the price of interdeck here right?
It is just paint with beads in it isnt it?

International Interdeck White 1L
$61.95/L

How many litres will you be needing again?

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_l...aint%20Topcoat

If you already have 20L tins of Jotun, Amercoat or similar which has cost around $10/l why not just put some aside, tint and add your own beads?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #2769
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
You have looked at the price of interdeck here right?
It is just paint with beads in it isnt it?

International Interdeck White 1L
$61.95/L

How many litres will you be needing again?

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_l...aint%20Topcoat

If you already have 20L tins of Jotun, Amercoat or similar which has cost around $10/l why not just put some aside, tint and add your own beads?

Ah ok so it's more of an economical decision not so much that the product is of less quality?

Old 07-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #2770
Guru

Quote:
The Interdeck is like 220 grit sandpaper. Enough for traction, but no skin tearing.

If in a slushy environment, I would want more traction, but it has been fine the last 6000 miles. In fact the firstvyear, I never got any down, just the primer and that wasnt even all that slipoery.

Ah righto ok cool. So it appears I'll need to fair my decks to as this is a "thinnish" paint? Where as the Kiwigrip is a thick acrylic coating.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #2771
TF Site Team

Here's my cockpit finished about 5 years ago with what was the second coat of the Blue Interdeck, and sorry, but I haven't swabbed the deck for quite a while as it's not great weather for boating lately. The surface, if you run fingers over it Matt, would feel about like the skin of a small dogfish. Rough, but not tearing or grazing anything rough...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0243.jpg  
Old 07-09-2016, 11:24 PM   #2772
Art
Guru

Quote:
Ah righto ok cool. So it appears I'll need to fair my decks to as this is a "thinnish" paint? Where as the Kiwigrip is a thick acrylic coating.

Confusing... tain't it! Know I'm confused which is really the best to use.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:02 AM   #2773
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Matt,

I used KiwiGrip on Ebbtide. Easy install, hard as nails, not too rough and cleans up with a hose and car wash brush. Looking forward to seeing what you choose.

Bob
Old 07-10-2016, 01:15 AM   #2774
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Confusing... tain't it! Know I'm confused which is really the best to use.

I know right. I've used Kiwigrip before and I thought the choice was an easy one but what's thrown me was the amount of interdeck users V Kiwigrip users. I'll have to do some more research and make up my mind. I've got plenty of time up my sleeve so won't be forced to make a rash decision.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:16 AM   #2775
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Here's my cockpit finished about 5 years ago with what was the second coat of the Blue Interdeck, and sorry, but I haven't swabbed the deck for quite a while as it's not great weather for boating lately. The surface, if you run fingers over it Matt, would feel about like the skin of a small dogfish. Rough, but not tearing or grazing anything rough...

Thanks Pete. What's cleaning it like?

Old 07-10-2016, 01:19 AM   #2776
TF Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Pete. What's cleaning it like?

Easy. Adding a mild detergent if necessary. Heavy rain even brings it up quite well for just dusty grime.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:41 AM   #2777
Art
Guru

Quote:
I know right. I've used Kiwigrip before and I thought the choice was an easy one but what's thrown me was the amount of interdeck users V Kiwigrip users. I'll have to do some more research and make up my mind. I've got plenty of time up my sleeve so won't be forced to make a rash decision.

Reading yours and others' recent posts... Kiwigrip has pulled ahead again! I too am in no rush. May the best deck coating winnnnn!!!!
Old 07-10-2016, 04:54 AM   #2778
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Ah ok so it's more of an economical decision not so much that the product is of less quality?
If I can buy 1 brand of urethane paint with beads for $61/litre and another brand of urethane paint with beads that does the same job for around $15/litre there are no prizes for guessing which one I would buy.

Of course if someone can show me evidence that it is actually 5X better my thoughts may change.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #2779
Guru

It may not be 5x better, but after years of mixing beads or sprinkling sand, it is 5x easier even if more expensive.

It also has a flattening agent and a thickening agent, so add those to the cost of many other paints on top of the beads also.

The beauty of it is pop the top, pour it right on the deck if you want and roll it out. One of the easiest paints to use to.

5x better, nope....probably doesn't last as long...but decks take a beating on some boats...and this paint is dead easy to apply and it doesn't look like a touch up as bad as most.

5x easier.... yep....and though pricey...my small decks don't need that much so the ease overcame the money.

Not sure of your pricing...... but here it is only about 2x more expensive. That is if I went with a comprable poly or special deck coatings. But that is IF comparing only being able to buy quart cans at $35 versus other paints up around $80 per gallon.

So it's not for everyone, but it should be a contender.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #2780
Guru

Quote:
It may not be 5x better, but after years of mixing beads or sprinkling sand, it is 5x easier even if more expensive.

It also has a flattening agent and a thickening agent, so add those to the cost of many other paints on top of the beads also.

The beauty of it is pop the top, pour it right on the deck if you want and roll it out. One of the easiest paints to use to.

5x better, nope....probably doesn't last as long...but decks take a beating on some boats...and this paint is dead easy to apply and it doesn't look like a touch up as bad as most.

5x easier.... yep....and though pricey...my small decks don't need that much so the ease overcame the money.

Not sure of your pricing...... but here it is only about 2x more expensive. That is if I went with a comprable poly or special deck coatings. But that is IF comparing only being able to buy quart cans at $35 versus other paints up around $80 per gallon.

So it's not for everyone, but it should be a contender.

Thanks for your advice mate. For me; with the amount of time spent and yet to be spent, I'm not going to split hairs and take short cuts with costs because it really isn't a concern, more so quality and longevity.

Maybe I should use both and see. I could use the Kiwigrip on the foredeck cabin roof and the interdeck on the gunnel walkways.