Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so a little while since I posted. I found myself In a scuba diving accident which saw me have gear failure in 30mtrs of water with no air. Needless to say I passed out and was bought to the surface. Few hospital trips and some time in the Hyperbaric Chamber under the carful eye of the State dive trauma centre.

There was GoPro footage and the guys I dived with sold it so then that went viral and I had TV stations calling for interviews etc. here’s a link to the advert to the story

https://www.facebook.com/TodayTonight/videos/1806754682697313/

I’m good now and have been doing little bits on the boat. The Drs sidelined me for 4 weeks but I’m good now.

I have been working on the helm wiring loom. It’s pretty messy but I’ll tidy it up so it looks great.

Pics below.

I hope you’re all well.

IMG_1316.jpg
IMG_1325.jpg
IMG_1586.jpg
IMG_1607.jpg
IMG_1412.jpg
IMG_1413.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1679.jpg
IMG_1673.jpg
IMG_1676.jpg

Glad it worked out OK! I learnt to dive in WA and well remember that a lot of diving was in 30m. Good that your mates got you back up, and that the recovery was well done!

I used a lot of air on dives and regularly sucked the tanks empty. Slowly ascend (speed of small bubbles you were exhaling) and then you would be able to get a bit more air out of the tank as you went up. It kinda became routine, as I did not want to shorten the bottom time for the rest of the group. Buddies nearby of course. But gear failure means you buddy has to act, and be keeping a lookout for problems.

I think that diving in deeper water means better training and procedures. Here in Queensland the greedy resort manager's offer 'resort dive courses' that put very inexperienced people in the water. Just this week a coronial inquest into a 2015 death has revealed some shocking training omissions. I hope we see some changes. But once again, glad to hear you are OK and that WA is on top of things!

Last edited:
Glad it worked out OK! I learnt to dive in WA and well remember that a lot of diving was in 30m. Good that your mates got you back up, and that the recovery was well done!

I used a lot of air on dives and regularly sucked the tanks empty. Slowly ascend (speed of small bubbles you were exhaling) and then you would be able to get a bit more air out of the tank as you went up. It kinda became routine, as I did not want to shorten the bottom time for the rest of the group. Buddies nearby of course. But gear failure means you buddy has to act, and be keeping a lookout for problems.

I think that diving in deeper water means better training and procedures. Here in Queensland the greedy resort manager's offer 'resort dive courses' that put very inexperienced people in the water. Just this week a coronial inquest into a 2015 death has revealed some shocking training omissions. I hope we see some changes. But once again, glad to hear you are OK and that WA is on top of things!

Hey mate. My gear is still being looked at but initially I’ve been told it looks as if the air gauge is faulty and showing more air in the tank than there really is.

I’m heading to QLD in a few months, where abouts are you guys? Be nice to catch up.

Matt
Home is Brisbane, but I'm about to head north for 5 or 6 months. Just waiting on some stuff I bought on ebay to arrive! Keep in touch. I will be stopping at a few places as I travel up, including Hervey Bay where one of my daughter's is now working.

I have a spare tank on board, and a compressor, but only one reg etc. Not sure when you would be clear to dive again, but if you will be in the clear then pack a reg when you come!

Sorry to hear about your diving accident. Unfortunately, tank pressure gauges are now built to a price point and not of the quality they used to be. If I'm diving deeper than 6 meters, I always take a bailout tank of at least 2 liters. Buddies can leave you and equipment can fail. The bailout tank gives you an independent plan B that's always within reach.

Ted

Matt

So Glad to hear your ok and really glad you have some good chambers in your area

Ok so a little while since I posted. I found myself In a scuba diving accident which saw me have gear failure in 30mtrs of water with no air. Needless to say I passed out and was bought to the surface. Few hospital trips and some time in the Hyperbaric Chamber under the carful eye of the State dive trauma centre.

There was GoPro footage and the guys I dived with sold it so then that went viral and I had TV stations calling for interviews etc. here’s a link to the advert to the story

https://www.facebook.com/TodayTonight/videos/1806754682697313/

I’m good now and have been doing little bits on the boat. The Drs sidelined me for 4 weeks but I’m good now.

I have been working on the helm wiring loom. It’s pretty messy but I’ll tidy it up so it looks great.

Pics below.

I hope you’re all well.

View attachment 76674
View attachment 76675
View attachment 76676
View attachment 76677
View attachment 76678
View attachment 76679
View attachment 76680
View attachment 76681
View attachment 76682
View attachment 76684
On second pic why do you wear an empty peanut butter jar on the head? Lol
Glad you made it fine and safe !
Take it easy.

L

Take it easy.

L

I think it is actually a Vegemite jar the way they do it down under

Take it easy.

L

Hahaha it’s a sealed hood with 100% oxygen being fed into it. The State Dive Trauma centre did explain it to me but I can’t recall totally. Something about oxygen toxicity

Take it easy.

L

I do hope the have "nose and ear scratching pads" installed.

Alas on a 34AT, storage is very limited. I do have 3 tanks on board (on the upper deck) but, the BCD and regulator are in the store room along with the 3rd lung. I guess I could secure the 3rd lung to the upper deck but, the BCDs and regulators..... just do not have a place to store them.
I am thinking about getting a 60ft hose that will connect to the tanks on the upper level.... and tie it into either a BCD or tie into the 3rd lung regulator, the latter being a greater possibility. But then, I still have the storage problem too.

Alas on a 34AT, storage is very limited. I do have 3 tanks on board (on the upper deck) but, the BCD and regulator are in the store room along with the 3rd lung. I guess I could secure the 3rd lung to the upper deck but, the BCDs and regulators..... just do not have a place to store them.
I am thinking about getting a 60ft hose that will connect to the tanks on the upper level.... and tie it into either a BCD or tie into the 3rd lung regulator, the latter being a greater possibility. But then, I still have the storage problem too.

Ditch the tanks and get a hookah set up.
IMG_1719.jpg

Ditch the tanks and get a hookah set up.
View attachment 76694

The 3rd lung is a brand name of a hooka. (120vt)
If the main generator wont start, I still have the 3 tanks.
The only gasoline on board it for the outboard and that is stored in the dingy.

I digress from the subject of this thread. Sorry.
I shall go sit in the corner and be quiet.

Last edited:
Matt - TG you're OK! :thumb: Be safe buddy! - Art :D

Well, I certainly didn't see that coming. Hell, I figured you took a vacation or something. Glad you're back!

Hendo, I am happy you have made a come back. Now, get back to work. We all want you in the water, this season.

Wow - glad you're ok. I thought you were just working like crazy in the background and we were going to see the finished product on the next post:)

This afternoon I carried on with the interior upholstery wall lining in the forward cabin and VHF radio installation in the helm.

IMG_1757.jpg
IMG_1759.jpg
IMG_1763.jpg
IMG_1758.jpg
IMG_1764.jpg
IMG_1765.jpg
IMG_1762.jpg
IMG_1740.jpg
IMG_1741.jpg
IMG_1742.jpg

Very Cool Looking; Good Progress!

Five steps up to next level. Quite the distance from interior sole to sole. 35 inches?

Be careful mate... Don't push too hard on boat-work till U R well healed from diving accident. SOLSTICE loves ya... she'll be patient. Flic loves ya even much more and may not be so patient with ya if you push too hard at first, and that extra effort lays ya back in bed. I speak from experience!

Very Cool Looking; Good Progress!

Five steps up to next level. Quite the distance from interior sole to sole. 35 inches?

Be careful mate... Don't push too hard on boat-work till U R well healed from diving accident. SOLSTICE loves ya... she'll be patient. Flic loves ya even much more and may not be so patient with ya if you push too hard at first, and that extra effort lays ya back in bed. I speak from experience!

I’m good brother. I’m under diving restriction but physically I’m fine :)

Back
Top Bottom