Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #2621
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,077
Matt,
Buicks are still available but don't know for how much. Probably priced competitively. I test drove a "Verano" a few months ago. Amazingly smooth but Buicks have been known for that since the 30's. The ride was smooth too .. relative to todays standards. But the most noticeable feature was how quiet it was. Have'nt ridden in a quiet car for a long time. I was heavy into Buicks as a young man especially the straight eights.

I do like your Holden. It reminds me of the Chevrolet Nova 4cyl 4dr (they also had 6cyl engines). Most or all of the American cars in the past had a low end basic model w small "hub caps", minimal trim, plain uppostery, roll-up windows and no extra frills. They had an honest look about them while the vast majority of cars look more like a cheap imitation of a luxury car. And the mechanical components of the luxo models were the same as the base models. Many had bigger engines but built of the same quality parts. So in the US there was only one level of quality in cars. How big of an engine and how much flashy trimming was the choice of the day.

But the Buicks were known to be good quality but lacking the close to vulgar pretentiousness of it's stable mate ... Cadillac. So Buicks were bought by mostly conservative people. Is that so w the Holden?
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:02 PM   #2622
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,590
Matt my mate - Your energy, drive, creativeness and sheer gumption has been unbelievable... also, these items have paced way beyond my capabilities for a project such as this.

Keep up the good work and best luck in the outcome! - Art
__________________

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #2623
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Think I've struck gold. Well led but it gold to me. A guy on Facebook works with led and always has off cuts and has offered them to me for $1.71kg. I'm stoked. A supplier quoted me rolls at $4.50kg

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466424854.338373.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	53305


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:17 AM   #2624
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Matt my mate - Your energy, drive, creativeness and sheer gumption has been unbelievable... also, these items have paced way beyond my capabilities for a project such as this.

Keep up the good work and best luck in the outcome! - Art

Thanks Art. I appreciate your support mate but it sounded like you're leaving???!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #2625
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Matt,
Buicks are still available but don't know for how much. Probably priced competitively. I test drove a "Verano" a few months ago. Amazingly smooth but Buicks have been known for that since the 30's. The ride was smooth too .. relative to todays standards. But the most noticeable feature was how quiet it was. Have'nt ridden in a quiet car for a long time. I was heavy into Buicks as a young man especially the straight eights.

I do like your Holden. It reminds me of the Chevrolet Nova 4cyl 4dr (they also had 6cyl engines). Most or all of the American cars in the past had a low end basic model w small "hub caps", minimal trim, plain uppostery, roll-up windows and no extra frills. They had an honest look about them while the vast majority of cars look more like a cheap imitation of a luxury car. And the mechanical components of the luxo models were the same as the base models. Many had bigger engines but built of the same quality parts. So in the US there was only one level of quality in cars. How big of an engine and how much flashy trimming was the choice of the day.

But the Buicks were known to be good quality but lacking the close to vulgar pretentiousness of it's stable mate ... Cadillac. So Buicks were bought by mostly conservative people. Is that so w the Holden?

Mate tbh I'm not sure about the specifics you've asked. Personally I'm a 78 model and the cars are 60ish models so I'm not really across indepth specifics :-)


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #2626
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Thanks Art. I appreciate your support mate but it sounded like you're leaving???!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Heck no! Just wishing ya good luck for all items in your endeavor. I'd just gotten back from 5 days on boat and was still rocking with the waves. Can't wait to hear of your adventures once SOLSTICE splashes.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #2627
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Heck no! Just wishing ya good luck for all items in your endeavor. I'd just gotten back from 5 days on boat and was still rocking with the waves. Can't wait to hear of your adventures once SOLSTICE splashes.

Great to hear mate


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #2628
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Think I've struck gold. Well led but it gold to me. A guy on Facebook works with led and always has off cuts and has offered them to me for $1.71kg. I'm stoked. A supplier quoted me rolls at $4.50kg

Attachment 53305


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Great find!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #2629
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,805
I'm not sure I understand the skim coating and the guide strips. Are you filling that area with epoxy?
If so that would concern me because the thick filler may crack as the underlying more flexible wood bends.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:26 AM   #2630
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I'm not sure I understand the skim coating and the guide strips. Are you filling that area with epoxy?
If so that would concern me because the thick filler may crack as the underlying more flexible wood bends.

Yep sure am. There is absolutely no difference between what I'm doing there on the flare than what I've done with the rest of the build mate. Epoxy glue fillet mixture, faired, glassed, faired and primed.

Those guides are just there to assist in the curvature of the flare is uniformly applied across the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #2631
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Great find!

I know right! I am stoked.


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #2632
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,077
Matt wrote;
"Those guides are just there to assist in the curvature of the flare is uniformly applied across the area"

I don't understand and suspect it may be difficult to explain. Those "guides" look fairly involved .. a serious piece of work. "curvature of the flare is uniformly applied" .. to the joint between the upper and lower part of the hull sides? The flare would be an vertical thing .. a vertical curve. But the frames inside the boat should determine that. It alludes me.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #2633
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,216
Yeah too hard and too late in the day to explain. Suffice to say it's a cosmetic reason not a structural reason I am doing the flare in filler in this area.


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #2634
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Yeah too hard and too late in the day to explain. Suffice to say it's a cosmetic reason not a structural reason I am doing the flare in filler in this area.


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
A top of cosmetics: Flare also deflects wave edge outward and away from boat in seas. I like boats with heavy bow flare and tapered side flare in their design. Professional Fisher boats usually have good bow flare; those are the baby's when in seas need wave deflection... big time. It's also an extra buoyancy provider; i.e. more flare there is less deep the bow will burry in waves.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #2635
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,077
Art,
If the bow was'nt suffering from lack of volume due to excessive flare.
With a given beam flare is achieved by reducing boat volume lower down where it's needed to pop the front end up when encountering a big wave. The less volume the less "pop" then flare becomes a last ditch effort. There should be a ballance in everything. Many salmon trollers I see in Alaska have almost no flare but they usually have high freeboard in the bow.

Matt I thought about that when I asked the question and I'm glad you scuttled the effort.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #2636
Senior Member
 
eagle419's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Kon View Post
Cosmetic as in puttin' lipstick on a pig?
Wow............

Glass houses hey Rick?
__________________
John
eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #2637
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,077
Who's Rick?
Love your avatar eagle419.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #2638
Moderator Emeritus
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Kon View Post
Cosmetic as in puttin' lipstick on a pig?
Maybe that was meant as humor, but it feels wrong. Insulting someone else`s boat is not on, especially a labor of love. How about taking it down,yourself or if beyond time, with Mod help.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #2639
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Maybe that was meant as humor, but it feels wrong. Insulting someone else`s boat is not on, especially a labor of love. How about taking it down,yourself or if beyond time, with Mod help.
I agree 110%! Please take that down... Matt is an artist and a marine-star for his incredible, long term pleasure boat reconfiguration.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #2640
Senior Member
 
eagle419's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Who's Rick?.
She-kon's comment was signed Rick...

And thanks for your kind words re my boat, Eric
__________________

__________________
John
eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012