Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #2541
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,084
Tad bigger .... ?
Oh no Matt ..... much bigger.
That ragtop in the pic had a 401 cu. in. engine w a 10.5-1 compression ratio.
But that's exactly the Buick I was refering too.
I love the simple and plain smaller cars of the early days .. 50's, 60's and 70's. I had a wonderful Corvair Monza Coupe 4 speed, white w red interior. I foolishly traded it (and everything else I owned) for a Jag roadster. Not simple or plain.

The Holden looks like a plain jane Chev Monza or very early Falcon.

Thanks for the link about the Holden.

bigguss,
Is that Datsun a roadster? I have an 87 Stanza. I think it has a 4cyl version of the original Z car engine. Has two spark plugs per cyl. Love the car.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #2542
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,217
I had a Datsun SSS Stanza. That thing was a bomb haha. Bought I for $50.00. Had it for two years and sold it to the car wreckers for $100.00 haha.

Funny story about that car; back in the day when I was an apprentice, I was driving down the highway when I heard a crumbling noise. I looked in my rear view mirror and couldnt see out as the hoodlining had fallen down. I pulled over at the petrol station and got out to fix it. When I got out the roof had rusted off the top of the rear window and fallen down into the car haha. I had some duct tape so I pushed the roof up and the rear window down so the rusted section sat on top of the window and then taped it up. It stayed like that for about 6 months before I finally got rid of it lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________

__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:16 AM   #2543
Veteran Member
 
Biggusstickus's Avatar
 
City: Tasmania
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: Mustang 3800
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Tad bigger .... ?
Oh no Matt ..... much bigger.
That ragtop in the pic had a 401 cu. in. engine w a 10.5-1 compression ratio.
But that's exactly the Buick I was refering too.
I love the simple and plain smaller cars of the early days .. 50's, 60's and 70's. I had a wonderful Corvair Monza Coupe 4 speed, white w red interior. I foolishly traded it (and everything else I owned) for a Jag roadster. Not simple or plain.

The Holden looks like a plain jane Chev Monza or very early Falcon.

Thanks for the link about the Holden.

bigguss,
Is that Datsun a roadster? I have an 87 Stanza. I think it has a 4cyl version of the original Z car engine. Has two spark plugs per cyl. Love the car.
Hey Nomad
No it may of been sold in US as a Datsun 510 but not sure. They were very popular as a rally car here for many years in the 70's. I don't have a photo of our's here but will take one when I am home next. Its all original and in great condition. The father in law has a nice Chevy Impala plus quite a few old Humber's tucked away
Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:20 AM   #2544
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Hi Eric,
You're right mate it does. Are the buicks as expensive over there as the EH's are over here?

Here's a link to the EH. I think the Buick is a tad bigger?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_EH



Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Depending on restored condition: 1962 Buick Electra 225 such as this goes from $25K to $45K... or even up to $59K if correct buyer can be found. Yes, considerably larger with much bigger/more-powerful gasoline engine.





My 1967 Buick wildcat weighs in at 4,400 lbs dry weight. 360 hp 430 cid nearly 500 ft. lbs. torque. 0-60 mph in 6.9 sec. Top end 140 mph +/-.


Power windows, seat etc...freezer cold AC: Our Luxo Muscle Car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Wildcat & Art.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	52930  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:06 AM   #2545
THD
Guru
 
City: Seattle
Country: US
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,142
Matt-love your pictures! BTW-does Flic know you have a real boat in your backyard?

I wonder if Tad ever checks out this thread? He maybe could offer an opinion on stability.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:25 AM   #2546
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,217
Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Depending on restored condition: 1962 Buick Electra 225 such as this goes from $25K to $45K... or even up to $59K if correct buyer can be found. Yes, considerably larger with much bigger/more-powerful gasoline engine.





My 1967 Buick wildcat weighs in at 4,400 lbs dry weight. 360 hp 430 cid nearly 500 ft. lbs. torque. 0-60 mph in 6.9 sec. Top end 140 mph +/-.


Power windows, seat etc...freezer cold AC: Our Luxo Muscle Car


What's that ugly growth hanging off the side of the White 67' .. lol :-P


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:28 AM   #2547
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,217
Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Matt-love your pictures! BTW-does Flic know you have a real boat in your backyard?



I wonder if Tad ever checks out this thread? He maybe could offer an opinion on stability.

She knows. I talk about it often enough lol but it's not in the back yard mate. SOLSTICE is an hour round trip away from me, besides I'm too fussy to let anyone else work on the fairing just yet. The interior is where Flic will get involved.

Re: stability, like the Art and Biggie and the other boys have said we're pretty confident she'll be ok. I have a lot of weight down low compared to the top. Hindsight I'd have bought the superstructure walls in closer so timber could span without steel bearers and I'd have made the roof lower and blown the beam out a bit but I'm happy to put this issue to bed now.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:33 AM   #2548
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,217
Well that's it for this week folks. Today was a late start due to car alarm issues getting fixed. Once I got here I started sanding and fair the roof frieze and the fillets between the frieze and the superstructure. While I was waiting for the filler to dry I went down to the engine room and cleaned up a bit after cutting in the engine air intake. I was looking for more sandpaper for the longboard so ended up sorting out my sandpaper because I am an ocd freak but realised I ran out of 120grit so used some discs on the longboard in the interim. I routered the window openings and did some more filler and sanding and so on and so on till now that Eddie the Eagle says it's beer thirty so yeah. That's it for today and for this week. Have a great weekend all and we'll kick it off on Monday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551067.693922.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	52931
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551080.313561.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	52932
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551094.482180.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	52933
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551106.583315.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	52934
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551119.400584.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	52935
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551134.102550.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	52936
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551149.588177.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	52937
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551163.540124.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	52938
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551185.458486.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	52939
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551198.195896.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	52940
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551210.479929.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	52941



Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:35 AM   #2549
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,217
I also tested out the down lights now that it's dark and they pump out a decent amount of light I think.

I've tilted the rear LEDs to light up the Marlin board and reckon they look great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551323.329219.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	52942
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551336.164776.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	52943


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #2550
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,720
Love the lighting. Bout time you got back to boat building, was afraid you lost interest and turned to panel beating.
__________________
Craig - AKA Some Clueless Idiot

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #2551
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Love the lighting. Bout time you got back to boat building, was afraid you lost interest and turned to panel beating.

Haha tell me about it brother! ... Some days I have to belt timber with a hammer so I do forget how to use it lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #2552
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
What's that ugly growth hanging off the side of the White 67' .. lol :-P

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Silly Goose! - That's yours truly admiring our Wildcat beast in 1998 when I first purchased her; short handle rake in my hand for leaves on driveway of our beach house in Mendocino county... 130 miles north of Marin County where we live.

The Cat had 71,321 miles on her when I found her. Orig owner was 101 yrs when she passed. Her hubby had passed some years before. Their son religiously took the Cat out several times each year to keep it's juices flowing. Funny thing is... day before I purchased... a guy had bought it off the family and put it in "classic car" section of local news paper. I was sitting on the throne at 5:30 the next morn and saw the ad. ASAP I got to a land-line phone (this was basically before cell phones - lol) and called the guy. He answered but sounded drunk... Told me he could not come out to his driveway till 9:30 in morn. Linda and I were there at 8:30. Before he came out (looking all disheveled) I'd already gone over and under the Cat with fine tooth comb. He threw us the keys, Linda and I took the Wildcat for a ride. Linda nodded yes... I flashed cash... he needed a drink... Rest is history!

Don't plan to ever sell this "Luxo Muscle Car!" It's a pisser to blow the doors off so many youngsters with "small" speedster cars by having a behemoth car such as our Cat. At 6'1" and 245 lbs. I can lay stretched out side to side in it's trunk, with room to spare!! -


PS: The wife was 70 yrs. old and hubby even older when they purchased the 360 hp Wildcat in 1967. Sooo... they were driving that powerful speed beast into their 80's or maybe even 90's. Man, that takes some balls. The cat gets my attention every time I step on it, passing gear, engine roar is purely a rush on the highway... her muscle motor luvs high rpm. Highest speed I've taken her was with the 125 mph speedometer pinned; still had lots more mph left to go!

OK - Thread hijack is over - thank you for your time - now, back to your beautiful SOLSTICE! She's looken better all the time!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #2553
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,084
Matt,
It looks like you've put on a strip board right above the side windows to act kinda like the gutters on older cars .. controlling water to a degree. That so mate? I like if so. But perhaps it's just a two tone paint line for visual bling. Real live "window dressing"? May like that too when it comes to pass.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #2554
Guru
 
Tad Roberts's Avatar
 
City: Flattop Islands
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post

I wonder if Tad ever checks out this thread? He maybe could offer an opinion on stability.
It would be foolish to do so without any supporting data. Nothing definite can be said about the stability without a lot of data, the hull lines, overall weight, and center of gravity. None of those are currently known (to me).

If we knew the total weight and rough overall dimensions I could say how deeply it will float, but not how it will trim (bow or stern down or up) or heel, either at rest or underway.

Best would be to put the boat on a trailer and take it to the nearest truck scale, then take the empty trailer back to check the difference. Or you could rent some load cells and measure weight in place (two or 4 points).

Or you accept the (small) risk, and see what happens when you launch her. Do the launching gently, constrain the boat so it cannot heel at all while being launched (see the Baden capsize thread).
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #2555
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Matt,

It looks like you've put on a strip board right above the side windows to act kinda like the gutters on older cars .. controlling water to a degree. That so mate? I like if so. But perhaps it's just a two tone paint line for visual bling. Real live "window dressing"? May like that too when it comes to pass.

Hi Eric,
Sorry mate I'm not sure what you're referring to. Which pic?

Cmon you love more about SOLSTICE than you're letting on. It's ok we're all friends here; you can tell us haha


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #2556
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
It would be foolish to do so without any supporting data. Nothing definite can be said about the stability without a lot of data, the hull lines, overall weight, and center of gravity. None of those are currently known (to me).

If we knew the total weight and rough overall dimensions I could say how deeply it will float, but not how it will trim (bow or stern down or up) or heel, either at rest or underway.

Best would be to put the boat on a trailer and take it to the nearest truck scale, then take the empty trailer back to check the difference. Or you could rent some load cells and measure weight in place (two or 4 points).

Or you accept the (small) risk, and see what happens when you launch her. Do the launching gently, constrain the boat so it cannot heel at all while being launched (see the Baden capsize thread).

Thanks TR.
I was going to get a franner to come in and pick her up and get the weight of the hook but I'm happy to accept that she'll need added ballast/trim once she's floated.


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #2557
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
It would be foolish to do so without any supporting data. Nothing definite can be said about the stability without a lot of data, the hull lines, overall weight, and center of gravity. None of those are currently known (to me).

If we knew the total weight and rough overall dimensions I could say how deeply it will float, but not how it will trim (bow or stern down or up) or heel, either at rest or underway.

Best would be to put the boat on a trailer and take it to the nearest truck scale, then take the empty trailer back to check the difference. Or you could rent some load cells and measure weight in place (two or 4 points).

Or you accept the (small) risk, and see what happens when you launch her. Do the launching gently, constrain the boat so it cannot heel at all while being launched (see the Baden capsize thread).

Thanks for the heads up mate. Is this the one that post is referring to?




Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #2558
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,084
Matt,
Re the vid ... go light on the horror flicks. That could give one nightmares. No I was refering to one of your pics. Post #48 pics .. the 6th and 8th one down. I see now it's just a step out where the wood is doubbled .. I think. What you did is better than what I was thinking. Re the pic I commented about in post #53 .. I expanded the pic and see what it is.
I'd prefer white tarps .. not flodded in blue light.

Oh there's more to rave about but need to save something for the future. Gotta be honest though .. I like the old name Axe better. But Solstice is nicer.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #2559
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,794
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Sorry, thread hijack not quite over...

Al said... "My 1967 Buick wildcat weighs in at 4,400 lbs dry weight. 360 hp 430 cid nearly 500 ft. lbs. torque. 0-60 mph in 6.9 sec. Top end 140 mph +/-."

Al, sorry, but that's no muscle car...it's just a big sucker, and you'd expect that output from that. My car (Celica GT4) is only 2 litres (with turbo), and puts out 155kw (210hp), 281 nm (207 ft lbs) torque, and does a max of 250kph, (~140mph), and the standing 0-100kph (60mph), also in 6.9 secs. Now, that's muscle, for an engine that size, and these engines can be tweaked up to over 200kw quite easily. I chose not to.

Ok, now thread hijack over...
__________________
Pete
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:44 PM   #2560
Guru
 
Hendo78's Avatar
 
City: Perth
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Matt,
Re the vid ... go light on the horror flicks. That could give one nightmares. No I was refering to one of your pics. Post #48 pics .. the 6th and 8th one down. I see now it's just a step out where the wood is doubbled .. I think. What you did is better than what I was thinking. Re the pic I commented about in post #53 .. I expanded the pic and see what it is.
I'd prefer white tarps .. not flodded in blue light.

Oh there's more to rave about but need to save something for the future. Gotta be honest though .. I like the old name Axe better. But Solstice is nicer.

This one?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465613033.132059.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	52962

That's just me holding a straight edge on my fairing work :-)


Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________

__________________
***I use and recommend ANCHOR RIGHT Anchors***
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012